F350,Homemade head rack and staked side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks AWESOME Woodsman44! I have to get to building one for my F-250. I have the expanded metal for the "grate" but I need to get the square or rectangle stock for the frame and the angle for the bed.

Did you put anything under the angle to protect the paint on the truck?

Looks AWESOME Woodsman44! I have to get to building one for my F-250. I have the expanded metal for the "grate" but I need to get the square or rectangle stock for the frame and the angle for the bed.

Did you put anything under the angle to protect the paint on the truck?

I didnt, but probably should have...mabey I will roll on some undercoating were metal hits paint.

Would be nice if you made another one and raffled it off on here for a Christmas present. Very nice work!

Very nice work!.. I have to get around to making one of these. I have graphics on my back window and I keep damaging it with logs and wood being thrown inro the truck.

Nice!

Just sorta thinking out loud here but...

Have any of you ever stopped fast and had the front of the bed get pushed in far enough to blow out the back window?

We have here at work (unsecured pallet) so they made the racks so they protect that as well.

Very nice work!.. I have to get around to making one of these. I have graphics on my back window and I keep damaging it with logs and wood being thrown inro the truck.

TJ, When I bought this F350 truck that was the first item I was going to build up ASAP, so I dont blow out that back window throwing in wood and up to cab high load.

Very very nice! I would pay racks that nice, but probably wouldn't be able to afford how much they would have to cost. You have the best setup I've seen yet.

How much weight can a f350 haul in the bed? Assuming a cord of oak weighs 4400lbs, your going to haul 2 tons in the bed of a truck? I know its done, I see a local wood guy here do it all the time. But those springs are on bottom.

Looks nice either way. I'd haul hay bales in that all day. A cord of oak, eh I'd have to find out first.

I'm looking at buying a f350 right now. The girlie bought a new camper, and my truck won't haul it.

How much weight can a f350 haul in the bed? Assuming a cord of oak weighs 4400lbs, your going to haul 2 tons in the bed of a truck? I know its done, I see a local wood guy here do it all the time. But those springs are on bottom.

Looks nice either way. I'd haul hay bales in that all day. A cord of oak, eh I'd have to find out first.

I'm looking at buying a f350 right now. The girlie bought a new camper, and my truck won't haul it.

Like all pickups (all vehicles for that matter), subtract curb weight from GVWR and that gives you payload. I know that a 2wd 89 Ford crew cab dually with a gas engine and manual trans weighs under 6,000lbs and has a GVWR of 10,000lbs. That gives you 4,000+ pounds of payload in that case.

For max legal payload you'd have a regular cab 2wd 1 ton with a stick and minimal options (except the heaviest spring package you could get).

Shoot, some of the new pickups are being advertised as having up to a 6,000+ pound payload. Considering the new trucks weigh a lot empty I guess they must have GWVRs of almost 13,000lbs.

Ive already put a cord of wet oak in it and it did fine, not near the bump stops, handled great on the road at 65+ mph....going to put more oak in it next time...let see what she can do!!! ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I finally got a chance to work on my racks a bit more, it would have been done last night except I ran out of Argon, ooohps. I went with the expanded metal because that is what the customer (my father) wanted. The first two pictures show what I did for the rear gate, it is made of 1.5" square horizontals which drop into four pieces of 1x2x3/16" channel (perfect fit). The tabs on the outboard of the lower mount restrict sideward movement and the pins restrict any upward movement. I made it this way to allow the gate to float on the side racks because depending on the load the sides may flex inward and outward making it nearly impossible to drop in a pin. The third is a pic of the entire unit; I'm pretty pleased overall and he was as well. In regard to the above posts about heavy loads, I can say that the heaviest documented load in this F-350 2WD DRW was coming out of the gravel pit with 4100# of rock in the bed. It made it 12 miles home and had 2-3" of spring travel left on the rear leaves.

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I finally got a chance to work on my racks a bit more, it would have been done last night except I ran out of Argon, ooohps. I went with the expanded metal because that is what the customer (my father) wanted. The first two pictures show what I did for the rear gate, it is made of 1.5" square horizontals which drop into four pieces of 1x2x3/16" channel (perfect fit). The tabs on the outboard of the lower mount restrict sideward movement and the pins restrict any upward movement. I made it this way to allow the gate to float on the side racks because depending on the load the sides may flex inward and outward making it nearly impossible to drop in a pin. The third is a pic of the entire unit; I'm pretty pleased overall and he was as well. In regard to the above posts about heavy loads, I can say that the heaviest documented load in this F-350 2WD DRW was coming out of the gravel pit with 4100# of rock in the bed. It made it 12 miles home and had 2-3" of spring travel left on the rear leaves.

Shelby, very nice, good job, I think your customer (dad) will like it!!! :clap:

You guys got it all wrong. . . . If you're gonna haul wood, HAUL WOOD!!!
I just built these racks for my 450, used cattle panels, and some sttel from a local guy that sells blem'd tubing for $0.22/lb. . . . i have around $90 in this set of racks. i can get about 2.25 cords per load. AND, she dumps!!!

How much weight can a f350 haul in the bed? Assuming a cord of oak weighs 4400lbs, your going to haul 2 tons in the bed of a truck?

Depends on the year of the truck, the options, etc. My 2001 F-350 dually has a GVWR of 12,500 pounds. It weighs 7,800 pounds (regular cab 4x4 flatbed) with me in it, fuel, etc. That leaves 4,700 pounds of available payload, 'by the book'. I've had 1,800 pounds of steel on it, and it sat almost level- still a little higher in the rear! :D I have no doubts that I could put 5 or 6 thousand pounds on it, if I had to.

Them are some nice racks you built!

If you are gonna have a heavy duty pickup truck then don't be afraid to work it! My current truck is a 03 f-350 and I have yet to bottom out the springs on it, the truck will absolutely haul a load. My old truck was a 92 3/4 ton chevy HD and when the kid at home depot on the forklift argued with me about wether or not it would haul a skid of sakrete I told him put it on the truck it is paid for. After he got it on I then had him put a skid of blocks behind it! Needles to say it was overloaded but pulled through like a champ!

Back