Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have it right. I would call a "step dutchman" a soft dutchman. Using a piece of the face cut is more of a "hard dutchman". I used the hard one on more than one occasion. I'd never seen the step dutchman used when when I was falling( felling:pumpkin2:)

So does he aim a little left of his target to get the tree to initially start going then does it hit the block and swing back to the right to the actual target? I've seen this video before just not sure where he's aiming and how bad the back lean is.

Would using a Humboldt with a snipe and a little piece of the pie busted up and set in the face help? You can walk one around quite a ways doing that.
I'm probably not explaining that very well. TreeSlingr has a video that demonstrates that better than I can tell it. I hope he doesn't mind my posting it but it's a great example of how to swing a tree. He doesn't use a snipe but you can experiment with that a little and see if you like the results.

Falling Trees on Fire 2008_0001.wmv - YouTube

From under the lean to boot! pretty slick.

Just checkin' in on smoke break Jake. Been getting pushed too much for pics lately, but I'll make an effort. Supposed to go to Ovando for a couple days this week and finish the other cutter's job....they're getting their turn in Bozo this week. Virgin timber. Supposedly nice. A bit of rot, but they say it cleans up fast. I'll try and bring the camera. It's just been the typical push to saw ourselves out of a job.....not much time for ####in' off with a camera - Sam

Just checkin' in on smoke break Jake. Been getting pushed too much for pics lately, but I'll make an effort. Supposed to go to Ovando for a couple days this week and finish the other cutter's job....they're getting their turn in Bozo this week. Virgin timber. Supposedly nice. A bit of rot, but they say it cleans up fast. I'll try and bring the camera. It's just been the typical push to saw ourselves out of a job.....not much time for ####in' off with a camera - Sam

very good sir, I'm always up for some tree fallin pics, I was gonna get some pics of me today with the new springboard I made but I chickened out

Actually Jake, the party's right here.

View attachment 198631

Glassfull of Octoberfest, sittln' on the tailgate, cool fall air, and a nice smokey full moon. Hope you all are enjoying your Saturday evening wherever you may be - Sam

Actually Jake, the party's right here.

View attachment 198631

Glassfull of Octoberfest, sittln' on the tailgate, cool fall air, and a nice smokey full moon. Hope you all are enjoying your Saturday evening wherever you may be - Sam

Oh, Nice, that's a party that I'd hit up for sure, I spy a 660 and a 440?

just snagged a smoke break myself, had no ciggarettes so I wound up tristing up some apple tabaccy in a reciept

Well dammit Jake, Nate, Randy, Paccity and all you other associated dingleberries, where are ya? Don't tell me I'm the only one drinking beer, staring at a computer screen because I'm still too damn tired to work up the ambition to take a shower!

Hope you all had a good week, and have a good weekend in store - Sam

Well dammit Jake, Nate, Randy, Paccity and all you other associated dingleberries, where are ya? Don't tell me I'm the only one drinking beer, staring at a computer screen because I'm still too damn tired to work up the ambition to take a shower!

Hope you all had a good week, and have a good weekend in store - Sam

I'm here man, I'd never let you tackle a Friday night on AS by yourself, I effed up by purchasing a liqour called Rock & Rye, it tastes like what I think Rumplestiltskin might taste like

But i got enough other stuff squirreled away so that I'm not going to have to face up to a Friday night coherently

where'd ya go Sam, did you wander off and get eaten by rockchucks :jester:

I know you haven't passed out this early, we're in the same damn timezone and I'm just getting started :jester:

Still kickin' around....filing chain, fussing with airfilters. Still gotta get the axe soaking. Broke the handle off my molly, we'll see how JB weld does with that. Never ending. Hopefully some time to take the dog and look for grouse over the weekend - Sam

Still kickin' around....filing chain, fussing with airfilters. Still gotta get the axe soaking. Broke the handle off my molly, we'll see how JB weld does with that. Never ending. Hopefully some time to take the dog and look for grouse over the weekend - Sam

do you run a ring of grease around th carb where the filter hits? also, do you soak in antifreeze, it's the cats ass, won't shrink back down

wait what, grouse season's open, what day is it? :D

Been running the max-flows for a while now, the oil in the foam seems to seal things up just fine. Water for the axe, I rarely use it, just pack the molly in the wedge pouch and wedge smart. Leave the axe in the pack. I've heard of the anti-freeze deal though. Interesting.

Now I just gotta double check the double barrel. Grouse hunting tomorow - Sam

Been running the max-flows for a while now, the oil in the foam seems to seal things up just fine. Water for the axe, I rarely use it, just pack the molly in the wedge pouch and wedge smart. Leave the axe in the pack. I've heard of the anti-freeze deal though. Interesting.

Now I just gotta double check the double barrel. Grouse hunting tomorow - Sam

OK, when I say this I'm serious, not being my normal smartass self: how do you possibly get by thumpin wedges with just a molly, when I'm wedging I look like drunken Roger Maris at batting practice, I've actually thought of packing a bigger axe, every tree that's not a leaner I usually wind up beating my brains out

It took me a looooooong time to wrap my stubborn brain around it, but now i just set a wedge ASAP if I have any doubts. Cut an inch, give it a couple taps. Build tension on the wood fiber and release it. Repeat as many times as nesacary. It seems slower, but at the end of the day the counter says otherwise. Plus, you don't beat your brains out, and you don't go through near as many wedges. If something is really up the hill, I just pre-wedge the ####er.

If it's severly up the hill or up the hill and dead, I'll cripple it and green wedge it. The best part of just packing the molly and leaving the axe in the pack is that it makes you think every move out.

......Not that I don't hike to the pack and beat my brains out with my axe once a week or so.......:D

It took me a looooooong time to wrap my stubborn brain around it, but now i just set a wedge ASAP if I have any doubts. Cut an inch, give it a couple taps. Build tension on the wood fiber and release it. Repeat as many times as nesacary. It seems slower, but at the end of the day the counter says otherwise. Plus, you don't beat your brains out, and you don't go through near as many wedges. If something is really up the hill, I just pre-wedge the ####er.

If it's severly up the hill or up the hill and dead, I'll cripple it and green wedge it. The best part of just packing the molly and leaving the axe in the pack is that it makes you think every move out.

......Not that I don't hike to the pack and beat my brains out with my axe once a week or so.......:D

I'ma have to try that next time I'm out, I go through wedges like a house full of tweekers go through light bulbs

Back