Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn fine day in the woods. Cleared some road first then investigated the veracity of a recent wetland survey. Found a stand of no-#### OG spruce in the last place I'd expect to find it. Measured local-champion hemlock, spruce, and maple. It was sunny out, too. Don't get much better'n that.

I found a nice K bar in his shieth a while back. Had it in the car when it went for service and realized a few weeks later that someone had stolen it. I wish I had realized earlier, it takes some nerve to steal from the vehicles that you work on at your job. . .
Old boss man has found a number of rusty pistols over the years. My favorites are the old glass insulators, and cork cap bottles. I've found most of them by stepping on them with corks through the leaves and such. .

Nice groomed forest floor youve got there must be nice to see the ground:jester:

View attachment 232729View attachment 232729

232729d1333903129-100_4625-jpg

232730d1333903250-100_4631-jpg

Yeah it was a resort/retreat center place, flat ground no brush!! But lots of thread the needle near cabins shots.

thats some serious undergrowth there though wow!

Here's a picture of a "felled" patch. There is a yarder--a Madill 071 in the picture. This was in the second half of the 1980s. The fallers had cut the tail trees which were thought to be needed for lift. The logger rigged up a rider block and was able to get one end suspension, which they demonstrated by hooking a log at both ends and getting total suspension.

This shows the typical terrain of that time. The units usually were flattish on the top, then there would be a bluff, and then it ran down to the creek. We always found a way--usually with vegetation belays to get through the rock bluffs. After logging, the vegetation belays would be in short supply so I usually did a butt slide down. I had tough pants. :msp_smile: When we burned, we used a firehose belay.

I didn't consider this ground to be steep at that time. There was way worse ground west of Morton that we had to work in. Way worse...

The slash was deep in these old growth units. A guy I was learning from stepped in a spot and disappeared. He was over 6 feet tall.
233700d1334498014-might-holdaway-30001-jpg

View attachment 233700

I really hated it when I ran out of places to go 4-6' above the forest floor on jackstrawed, beetle killed lodgepole pine.

Remember the YUM & PUM days? Made the units easier to get around in. If one did not get lost in the ravines caused by run off.

Figured I'd see if there were bars or calks on Amazon before I placed an order and this is what I found.

Hammer- Thats the kind of stuff I need to stock around the house for the kid's bedtime stories. I've had enough of Dr. Seuss- Damn hippie tree huggin sob!

Heres a couple from the last week. Making some progress where I can. Rain this afternoon though so I cut and called her a day.

Last weeks landing. Maybe 20mbf and about 60 cords in the background. The wood was pretty small on the second half of this job.
attachment.php

This week's landing. About 12mbf so far. A lot of beech, hard maple, and basswood on this job. Lots of old wood. The wood is fairly tall though for around here. 50-60ft of logs in a lot of the stems.
attachment.php

Dumpin and swingin a big ugly ole maple.
attachment.php

Takin the jacket off of a dead elm. This job was marked two years ago so this tree and others were probably alive then. Still some good wood in this one. I pulled the bark off before I back cut it. I didn't want to get clobbered.
attachment.php

Dead fence-line ash- a little sketchy, but a deep undercut saved some wedging. 60ft of straight logs in this one and still some ok wood. Busted the top up good so no pulpin!
attachment.php

View attachment 234659
View attachment 234660
View attachment 234661
View attachment 234662
View attachment 234663

Lookin great !! . I'm glad for ya that you can get some wood on the landing ... nice time of year . You and Mingo can see everything but probably not too buggy yet . Need more forwarder pics .
How you utilize it .
Sometimes if I get a full face Dutchman , I just put in another little kerf under it . If its a funky snag that may come apart on the way down I clean up the face real good . .

Are you cuttin timber or pullin stumps:msp_w00t::hmm3grin2orange::msp_thumbsup:

When its time to run . You run .

My Heli-Hell hole. Block on the left, one above on the right. Straight down the hill, top at 4", lop top.....repeat.

View attachment 234732

Only 11 more blocks to go.......

Nice scenery though.

View attachment 234733

View attachment 234735

Hey Cody....juicy cutting and we need 4 temp cutters ASAP...Great cutting....Would I lie?

Hope you all had a good, safe week - Sam

My Heli-Hell hole. Block on the left, one above on the right. Straight down the hill, top at 4", lop top.....repeat.

View attachment 234732

Only 11 more blocks to go.......

Nice scenery though.

View attachment 234733

View attachment 234735

Hey Cody....juicy cutting and we need 4 temp cutters ASAP...Great cutting....Would I lie?

Hope you all had a good, safe week - Sam

What's wrong with that strip? Doesn't look like glorious 5' wood, but the ground seems nice.

What's wrong with that strip? Doesn't look like glorious 5' wood, but the ground seems nice.

It'd be dandy tree-lengthing, but the up down, up down, sniping/lopping tops........A guy gets spoiled tree-lengthing and log lengthing all the time.

It'd be dandy tree-lengthing, but the up down, up down, sniping/lopping tops........A guy gets spoiled tree-lengthing and log lengthing all the time.

I guess I'm a bit confused to why they aren't tree-lengthing, and why you have to cut snipes. Is there no processor on the landing? Is this a cat/skidder side, or cable?

It would blow topping all day. . . I think you just need to embrace the suck! :laugh:

I guess I'm a bit confused to why they aren't tree-lengthing, and why you have to cut snipes. Is there no processor on the landing? Is this a cat/skidder side, or cable?

It would blow topping all day. . . I think you just need to embrace the suck! :laugh:

Yep, topping all day. This stuff's all getting flown out. $30 per minute. So it needs to come out quick. Fell towards the pad, hooker hooks the butt, helo picks up, flops it over on the cut top and goes like hell for the landing.

Don't want that ####er spending much time hoovering for less than great wood.....Hopefully the hookers are worth a #### and pull their end of the deal. Wood has got to move real fast. 2 minute turn fast.

Yep, topping all day. This stuff's all getting flown out. $30 per minute. So it needs to come out quick. Fell towards the pad, hooker hooks the butt, helo picks up, flops it over on the cut top and goes like hell for the landing.

Don't want that ####er spending much time hoovering for less than great wood.....Hopefully the hookers are worth a #### and pull their end of the deal. Wood has got to move real fast. 2 minute turn fast.

Not much margin for error on a show like that. What kind of helicopter?

Won't they let you lay it out sidehill? At least saves you walking up and down the hill all day long. That's brutal!

That rate sounds about right. . . Back in the late 90's I worked under a Bell Ranger that was $1k and hour for fuel, and the pilot got $250 and hour.

I don't know if I'd wanna mess with that goat-rope 'fast as you can' helo-logging. . . Too many would be focused on speed and stuff can go bad fast.

Back