Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's pictures of where the trees were. I'm standing on my walkway looking at the one and the other is from the corner of the house.

3ajubeja.jpg

u6eja5y9.jpg

That's one of the bosses there. The other one is smaller and more demanding.

tomorrow should be the last day on this bit of dirt... and what do ya know the neighbor decided to show up... got another 2-3 loads (not counting the 2-3 from today and yesterday) before the missus needs to find somewhere else to play... when ya say it like that... thats a whole bunch of wood for a part time gyppo!:msp_w00t:

that the way it works. do a good job n pay as agreed, the neibors come to you. I finished my pretty wood yesterday. gonna go kill pine for a while, I got some biguns for this fall.

It seems like I just keep stumbling along and landing in more and more work... not complaining, would dearly love to go full time, but for now that safety net of a day job sure is nice when things go T.U.

This is the neighbor with them big ugly Doug Firs, could be this time next week I'll need to get a proper video camera, and get really stew bid...:chainsaw::tongue2:

Not "my" project, but something I am involved in

We're calibrating the growth model in our inventory software to match how trees actually grow on our property. What's that look like? Glad you asked:

If that looks vaguely familiar, it's because it's what tree models ALWAYS look like:

Tree_shape_with_height.jpg

So, I managed to screw one up pretty good. Tree was a DF about 18" DBH in an overstocked stand. Had limb weight in one direction, and a bit of belly in another. I read it wrong, believing that the limb weight would over-rule the belly. This is where I thought it would go (D. in the corner there is the guy working on the calubration full-time):

This is where I ended up putting it, 120 or so degrees away:

And, here's the rest of the story:

See that dark band on the stump and the log? That's a stain from my bar from when the tree sat back on me and spat out the wedge I was palming in. The 260 in the pic is a Red Herring; D. was using it elsewhere and brought it with him when I called him over to give me a hand. See also how I cut out the hinge from the face? I did that after removing the powerhead from the stuck bar in an attempt to weaken it enough to go over in the direction of the belly. That didn't work either. See how there's more pulling wood on the right, and less on the left? That's because I severed the far (off) side from the face to get it over. The pulling wood is what drew it to the right and away from the road.

After much consideration, I think what I should have done is to put a siswheel in on the right side and hoped it would hold on long enough to swing back around where I wanted it. The top moved about 5 feet when it sat back, though, so I was afraid it had lost all momentum which is why I didn't try that. Lesson learned: belly can overrule limb weight if it's heavy enough, even if it's down low and doesn't look like it can account for much leverage.

IMG_5713.JPG

Sam, that's pretty neat. I am a believer in synthetics already because they dry so fast. Not a fan of long sleeves, though... BUUUUT... less bug bites? Hrmm. This bears consideration.

by frame 2 I'd suggest a step or two in the out of frame direction. frame one looks good though, cutting with confidence.

By frame two, sometimes I'm already 50 feet away! LOL! In this case I had a solid canopy with no contact during decent, and hard to tell from the picture angle, but this red oak disappeared from view as it fell down the holller, landing ever so softly by the branch. Four logs taken, and about five rick off the top.

I'd like for somebody, anybody, to post a video making falling look harder than I make it look. This ain't the one. That stump looks great, all the fiber pull was from the stump, and unlike some your back cut was not on a 30 degree slopp. I will say bigger boys make it look smoother and faster, and the smaller boys (me) make it look much harder.

I vote "good on ya mate!":cheers:

i thought the stump was a little high :msp_scared::censored::jester:

Latest posts

Back