Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legal limit here is 164000 with 7 axle truck and 4 axle pup. as you can imagine lots of guys haul a good bit over that. heaviest Ive heard of, besides the train style like BeatCJ posted, was a michigan load that was supposed to scale over 240k. I have cut winter larch that looked like a normal sized load but grossed over 200k

Soft maple beetle.jpg

????? what is this new vermin? what does it attack?

Up here it only seems to occur in swamp soft maple. The bug emerges in spring and by summer time the wound is healed over. The log could look beautiful standing, but when you cut it it looks like this. My mill has been automatically downgrading any log with any sign of it to a #3. They don't have a market for it as most mills up here don't. The lumber acutally looks pretty cool, but it just doesn't go on the open market. Its been around up here for 10-15 years. When it was first found I heard some mills lost several 100 thousand dollars in standing timber value. I've read that down south its more prevalent in other species, like oak, hard maple, yellow poplar, beech, etc. It likes it warm and wet and can have three life cycles a year in favorable conditions. I'm guessing our season is too short for that.

Attachments

• Soft maple beetle.jpg
    Soft maple beetle.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 16
i'v seen maple look like that but that normal here. i sold a soft/swamp maple for veneer for the first time year, its only ever been a pallet log here untill now. it was snow white.
i never seen any thing bother a tulip poplar here. thats one reason i am big on poplar regen when it will. never seen that in oak, but we got plenty other stuff killing it. red oak is in trouble here from blight or what ever they wanna call it now.
surprisingly the white oak has rebounded nicely from the gypsy moth out break 25 years ago. i thought it was doomed. what ever is killing the reds don't seem to effect the white nearly as bad.
i still think aggressive managment is the best tool to best thwart all this stuff, over mature trees seem to be affected the worst and there is seldom young timber in a very mature stand.
the stands that we managed with the landowners years ago are now nicely stair stepped and don't seem to have these problems. the proof is in the puddding whether any one pays attention or not is another story.

One of yer poplar butts had a similar flare from the heart, thats why I asked. We have oak wilt here too. In the sandy counties it spreads the easiest. No cutting in certain counties from April 1st to July 15th (sap hardens). Trees get infected by the fungus blowing onto an open wound and then through root grafts. From fresh stumps it will get into the roots too. Red oak can die in weeks. Entire stands can be wiped out. I've done a bunch of standing dead harvests and peripheral clear cuts. The white oak are more resistant, but not immune. Yeah it sucks. You guys have EAB there yet or the beech blight? I've seen quite a few hard maple decline for some reason too. A guys got to wonder what the hell is going to be left in 50 years.

Bitzer, the hard maple decline you're seeing is what we call Maple Dieback. Its quietly destroying our woods up here. Lots of folks have their head in the sand about it. We do quite a bit of clearcutting areas that have it and you can imagine what that does to a reputation with the public. Very scary stuff, makes the future look dim for Lake States hardwood logging. All of it is going, hard and soft maple, yellow birch, basswood, cherry,.......all of it.

One of yer poplar butts had a similar flare from the heart, thats why I asked. We have oak wilt here too. In the sandy counties it spreads the easiest. No cutting in certain counties from April 1st to July 15th (sap hardens). Trees get infected by the fungus blowing onto an open wound and then through root grafts. From fresh stumps it will get into the roots too. Red oak can die in weeks. Entire stands can be wiped out. I've done a bunch of standing dead harvests and peripheral clear cuts. The white oak are more resistant, but not immune. Yeah it sucks. You guys have EAB there yet or the beech blight? I've seen quite a few hard maple decline for some reason too. A guys got to wonder what the hell is going to be left in 50 years.
EAB is still not on this side of the bay yet.............not that we could harvest much ash any way. most the good red oak here is on sandy ground. they don't care about any thing but pine here.......the cheapest timber going.....go figure.
ima go look at the poplar pic....

you mean this one bitz?
View attachment 402138 i think its just age. this stand is very old for poplar and it shows. another decade and i don't think there would been much left.
curios if you know what i did with out seeing the stump.......
Block face, but you cut the right side off to pull it to the left. Snipe on butt for sure maybe snipe on stump too. Also looks like you had a wedge in there. It looks like you made yer cuts from under the lean or at least the back cut.

Bitzer, the hard maple decline you're seeing is what we call Maple Dieback. Its quietly destroying our woods up here. Lots of folks have their head in the sand about it. We do quite a bit of clearcutting areas that have it and you can imagine what that does to a reputation with the public. Very scary stuff, makes the future look dim for Lake States hardwood logging. All of it is going, hard and soft maple, yellow birch, basswood, cherry,.......all of it.
Its scary. I've been seeing it more in the maple/beech stands than anything.

conventional with a dutchman, semi skip on a 395, milk and two sugars?
660.36"404 skip. black, 1 suger please.
Block face, but you cut the right side off to pull it to the left. Snipe on butt for sure maybe snipe on stump too. Also looks like you had a wedge in there. It looks like you made yer cuts from under the lean or at least the back cut.
yes sir, you got it. but i was not under the lean. it was pretty straight but wanted the field...........i hate pickin up sticks lol.
i did have two wedges in but didn't have to pound um. the face did its job.

Latest posts

Back