Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northy, I can't begin to explain how good it makes guys like me see guys like you miss the far side short. I seriously doubt I will ever put in as level a back cut as that in my life. Great video young Sir

Meh I'm really not that good... I miss all the ****ing time. Trick is to know when to stop and fix the damage before making a bigger mess.

also I haven't really got my new (read old and used) grinder dialed in so I get some crooked cuts from time to time too. And I'm kinda lazy so the step on the back isn't always perfect, and there is the usual fiber pull... usually from trying a little too hard to turn a tree... or being worried about them tipping backwards and leaving extra hold wood.... (mostly for the tipping backwards part... ****ing houses anyway)

it's good to see that we are not all as good as we may think we are! speaking for myself there's never been a time that I haven't been able to hit the ground or something in the way of a tree coming down! I have the exceptional luck of not hitting the mark about 99% of the time ..... best of luck falling timber in the rough without precom. thinning! directional falling is a b.i.t.c.h. with a closed canopy!

I'm perfect. all my trees hit the ground.

Same here. Some times they hit other things before they hit the ground and sometimes there was less bucking to do because it busted up so bad... but every one of them made it to the hat. Eventually. :rolleyes:

I'm actually an excellent directional faller. I orbit the stem with an overpowered saw for a really long time until the tree falls in the direction it was originally leaning
Got a video of this newfandangled 'satellite' falling technique please?
I'll trade you for the pictures of my 'kladder' (kayak+ladder) bucking technique if I can find 'em.

The two of us pioneers are blaz'n a trail for every hack on both sides of the globe to follow.They'll thank us later.

I'll trade you for the pictures of my 'kladder' (kayak+ladder) bucking technique if I can find 'em.

The two of us pioneers are blaz'n a trail for every hack on both sides of the globe to follow.They'll thank us later.
Troof

I'll thank you now. You may not be around later.

Same here. Some times they hit other things before they hit the ground and sometimes there was less bucking to do because it busted up so bad... but every one of them made it to the hat. Eventually. :rolleyes:
It's always great when the wind pushes them just slightly out of the lay to that one stump you didn't cut off flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB- so your jack placement was your original face cut? That'll throw your plans off right there!
Sorry for not seeing and responding earlier. Heck, that would be some sort of reversal to switch sides like that. I just meant I tweaked, not reversed, where I wanted it to fall, so tweaked the direction of the face/hinge. I honestly can't recall if I had the jack set up before facing it but I don't think I did. In hindsight I should have set it in there before facing it.

Gave myself a 5/10 on this one and was happy to learn a few things without wrecking anything. Glad I posted the pic in here because I've learnt plenty more as a result. Cheers all.

Back