Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Face a little narrow? Seriously Mike I'm about to buy you a full brim and send it to MD. I'd mark it Wild Mike. I'm sure they'd find ya. They were on sale at Baileys.

Let me know if you do it...I'll pitch in for half the cost. That kid needs a hat.

what make skidder is that?
Googling, I found LKT as a Slovakian manufacturer of logging equipment. Looks like they are available in the EU and Russia.
Martimex Alfa
Current LKT 81 Skidder

Let me know if you do it...I'll pitch in for half the cost. That kid needs a hat.
This one?
$T2eC16h,!zoE9s5ngw6DBRnMGUeUvQ~~60_12.JPG

pink? naw.............well can y'all give me some pros and cons of the full brim vs the cap style? also plastic and aluminum............there have been times i felt like i prolly should have something on my head, i am slowing down a bit. also, how adjustable are they and are there differences in weights and diameter?

pink? naw.............well can y'all give me some pros and cons of the full brim vs the cap style? also plastic and aluminum............there have been times i felt like i prolly should have something on my head, i am slowing down a bit. also, how adjustable are they and are there differences in weights and diameter?

I've always preferred the full brim style, but when I was working on a survey crew, it was difficult to see through the instrument with a brim in the way. The cap style we could turn around. For me, the full brim keeps the rain off the neck, somewhat. Aluminum won't break down due to UV light, the plastic hats should be replaced every 5(?) years, as I remember. When I was going to college and working for the cable company, I had to wear plastic due to the electrical hazards. Plastic won't tolerate fuel, oil or solvents, in most cases.

added edit: You can get snap in style hearing protection for the cap style, but I prefer soft plugs, anyway.

The full brim is more balanced on your noggin. It sits where you put it without tilting forward over time due to the weight of bill on the cap style. The full brim also, as CJ, said keeps the rain off a bit better. The full brim also has more surface area to deflect impacts from above. Also the center of gravity on the full brim hats I've worn seems to be a bit lower that the cap style. This goes a long way in keeping the thing on your head.

The Mac T's have a harder aluminium then the skull bucket imports, but the mac T's are no longer up to code? And when they get dented your supposed to replace them, it doesn't happen often...

The plastic hats are heavy, or you can go cheap and get a thinner one that won't do any good and still be heavier than an aluminium hat. Like others have said the full brim sits well. Doesn't work its way forward, though it can works its way back while looking up alot...

As far as suspension goes, the older hats had a straight head band and adjustable height, which is nice if you like the hat sitting low. The newer suspension I've found has the stirrup? that goes around the back of yer noggin, on one hand its nice as it helps keep the hat on yer head when looking down, on the other its gets squirshed in the crummy and wears out. My most recent suspension has been modified to sit a little lower, I have a ginourmous mellon holder so when all the way out it feels like a yarmulke (jewish brain cover) so I lower it a bit to keep the lid on... and it looks cool yo... basically I just unstiched the original stitching and restitched it where I wanted it to be... took like 20 minutes.

By rights the suspension should be replaced every time you get a good wallup, I've broken at least one set, (and in reality the current one is broke too).

The full brim is good for keeping stuff from falling down the back of your shirt, crud getting in your ears and when working in close proximity to another saw you can use it to keep his chips out of your clothing.

Its also handier for scooping water if you ever get the chance to fight a fire with just a hard hat...

One last pro to a full brim, they fly a lot better when you need to chuck it at something, the ball cap style tend to teeter and wobble, while the full brims will sail like a frisbee.

There's some MSA fiber glass hats that aren't too bad heavy. The older fibre metal ones were nice and light also. Close to a aluminum one for weight. If you want a plastic one I can probably come up with you one or 5

Latest posts

Back