Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mead used those here 30 years ago or more. The newest foresters were the ones who operated them. The guys I know that ran them said it was like being a tennis ball in a dryer. All the planting is done by traveling hand crews now.
there's a travelers camp just south of akeley, mn/ in the badoura state forest nursery, they started filtering in already....

5f43622b6693004c32604706b3755658.jpg
4672815d924ab5d7629377dde29af1b1.jpg
8073310501620e75389a139ee47fbde5.jpg

Some stuff from work and a little after work fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cutting some long logs for a grapple cat.

Nice video skeans, cool to see a different style setup on the head vs a waratah or the like. Seems like everyone has a waratah head, which are very good but not everyone can afford them. So again cool to see other outfits hangin off the stick lol. Have a good weekend and safe cuttin boss

Nice video skeans, cool to see a different style setup on the head vs a waratah or the like. Seems like everyone has a waratah head, which are very good but not everyone can afford them. So again cool to see other outfits hangin off the stick lol. Have a good weekend and safe cuttin boss
Thank you we have a dangle Fabtek 240 head as well for landing work and cutting here and there. Waratah and the rest of those head are nice and work good but for what we do we feel the controlled style is the best fit for doing everything plus a fabtek is so simple to work on.

Thank you we have a dangle Fabtek 240 head as well for landing work and cutting here and there. Waratah and the rest of those head are nice and work good but for what we do we feel the controlled style is the best fit for doing everything plus a fabtek is so simple to work on.

That's a big plus for simplicity and serviceability. You guys cut with them mochines very much or try to hand fall mostly? Which do you find more work looking at it as a mechanical ground job start to finish or you like to go in and cut then skid everything to your dangle head machine. I saw the forwarder (I think anyway) in the pic of your quad, you probably do all the above, then forward shorts to the road? Not trying to pry, just interesting to me learning everyone's points of view and what works for them and why. My cousin is set up like you guys with a dozer which has a drumline, skidder with drumline, shovel like you guys have got, and about 5 years ago bought a zero turn komatsu with a danglehead waratah. Him and one other cousin run the show on private ground only and do other odd stuff between jobs even build houses

That's a big plus for simplicity and serviceability. You guys cut with them mochines very much or try to hand fall mostly? Which do you find more work looking at it as a mechanical ground job start to finish or you like to go in and cut then skid everything to your dangle head machine. I saw the forwarder (I think anyway) in the pic of your quad, you probably do all the above, then forward shorts to the road? Not trying to pry, just interesting to me learning everyone's points of view and what works for them and why. My cousin is set up like you guys with a dozer which has a drumline, skidder with drumline, shovel like you guys have got, and about 5 years ago bought a zero turn komatsu with a danglehead waratah. Him and one other cousin run the show on private ground only and do other odd stuff between jobs even build houses
It really depends on the job and size of timber we're set up to do all the above but mainly we do CTL thinning of short lengths of 20 ft or so. The dangle we don't hardly use other then doing some clean up here and there but we do try to as much mechanical cutting as possible for safety. The processing we really try to do all of it in the brush for a cleaner landing and more material is left in the brush to break down. Equipment line up D7F, D4H track skidder with a fixed grapple, SK200 Kobelco, 135 high walker zero turn Kobelco log loader, cat 320 with Fabtek 240, Timberjack 1210B, Deere 653E with Fabtek 2000 4 roller head.

It really depends on the job and size of timber we're set up to do all the above but mainly we do CTL thinning of short lengths of 20 ft or so. The dangle we don't hardly use other then doing some clean up here and there but we do try to as much mechanical cutting as possible for safety. The processing we really try to do all of it in the brush for a cleaner landing and more material is left in the brush to break down. Equipment line up D7F, D4H track skidder with a fixed grapple, SK200 Kobelco, 135 high walker zero turn Kobelco log loader, cat 320 with Fabtek 240, Timberjack 1210B, Deere 653E with Fabtek 2000 4 roller head.

Very cool sir and Thank you for sharing your insight, I know sometimes asking a guys program can come acrossed intrusive but I appreciate it. I enjoy learning about how guys handle the woods different. I like your idea of leaving the slash where it belongs for the trees

Very cool sir and Thank you for sharing your insight, I know sometimes asking a guys program can come acrossed intrusive but I appreciate it. I enjoy learning about how guys handle the woods different. I like your idea of leaving the slash where it belongs for the trees
Another benefit to leaving slash in the brush or in a clear cut is it helps with ruts as well or compaction in the long run. And it's no issue it won't work everyone or every job but it fits most of our needs for almost 16k hours and over 20 years of use.

Another benefit to leaving slash in the brush or in a clear cut is it helps with ruts as well or compaction in the long run. And it's no issue it won't work everyone or every job but it fits most of our needs for almost 16k hours and over 20 years of use.

Right on man like you said if it works.......don't fix it. Probably helps a clear cut as far as errossion sake after lifting all shade out and all the rain hits the ground instead of trees? Well probably only on units you wouldn't wanna have your machine in would a lot of soil errossion take place. I dunno lol, I'll shut it now haha. Safe woods workin sir

Nice vid Skeans. Do you have any of processing bigger timber?

I'm going to the Timberpro factory tomorrow to check out our new buncher and tour the place. If there is any of the timberheads there I could snap some pics for you.

Nice vid Skeans. Do you have any of processing bigger timber?

I'm going to the Timberpro factory tomorrow to check out our new buncher and tour the place. If there is any of the timberheads there I could snap some pics for you.
I don't I did all if it I could the day before I shot that video. Are you guys going with a 735?

if she was leanin a harder I probably would have cut the back first, it was mostly limb heavy to the right, and the neighbors house...

Mostly I use the jack as a labor saver on the bigguns, I have 2 of em, and I've only needed both on a handful of trees.
What kind of jacks do you use?

No, 725. Company has been running the 425 size timbco for over 20 years and the 725 is the same(ish) size. 735 has a bit heavier undercarriage but otherwise is the same machine. The extra cost of the 735 is the same amount extra that it would cost to put new socks and shoes on the 725.

Our operator is excited to switch from his 180 HP timbco to the 300 hp timber pro.

Trespassing here again - too many days and no hand falling pictures. So here are some more high stumps for you guys made with a dull chain. Both are two small white oaks I cut and wedged this evening in my yard. Both had slight leans towards the house. Put the first one right in my firewood spot (Handy as I burned every stick I had this past winter). Second one I used a little too much english (I don't know the correct lingo for intentionally making the hinge triangular in thickness - I notice that I did it in height as well but that was not intentional) and although it landed where I wanted, it caught some canopy of a save tree creating a small widow maker for me to deal with later. Following in part advice received here, I put in most of the back cut first using the midget wedge to hold the kerf open on both trees as I am not comfortable enough with my face cutting to set the hinge thickness from the front. First tree was just under 20" bar length at the cut. Second tree was an equal amount over. Stump shots are posted so I can learn some more from you.

1st Tree

IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1427.JPG

2nd Tree

IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1438.JPG

Looking out the window. As the truck mirror says "Objects are closer than they appear."
IMG_1444-001.JPG

Despite its bark loss, the second tree was healthier than I was expecting. Now I have a 24 foot log to choose between keeping or burning.

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 15
looks good to me, little high on the 2nd, and the pic makes em look a little crooked... but its mostly the pic I think.

Bout the only thing I can say is when boring the heart, try and keep boths sides of the hinge wood equal, unles you fully intend to make one side smaller.

What kind of jacks do you use?

Sorry somehow didn't see this...

couple of SLowes, or Homegyppo 25 ton bottle jacks, with a piece of plate steel on top to distribute the load, think its 3/8's 2"x3" ish, had some schedule 80 pipe that happened to fit real nice around the ram to keep the plates in line. thicker plate would be bettererrer

Latest posts

Back