Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron I guess it depends on the agreement you have. I know if showed up to a job and some of the sawtimber was cut that was supposed to be there I'd be pist. It has happened to me before. That Hickory will make logs. You could stretch that first log to a 10. Depends on how far to that next bad bend if you can make two logs there. If theres not chance of a second log than stretch it to 12. They can saw some long boards out of one side and shorter as they get closer to the sweep. Some jobs the trees are stick straight and I can cut whatever lengths I need and some jobs its all 8s and 10s because of the bends and sweeps. The beech does make sawlogs and ties, but doesn't pay a whole lot. Less than the hickory. The last tree is an ash and pays better than hickory here. Individually they are not worth a lot, but in terms of the project they will add up. I found Mike on another site. He said he can't load this one anymore. The woods I'm cutting right now is Hard maple, beech, ash, hickory, oak, pretty much in that order for volume. They will take all the sawlogs. Nothing huge. Average maybe 16" dbh. Shorter trees too. Bends, sweeps. Not great timber, but a clearcut this time of year means I can work. I take what I can get when I can rut it up. Looks pretty similar to what you've got there. Lots of pulpwood.

Thanks. I was told to cut anything we wanted. I took it upon myself to save the trees I thought were marketable and to leave high stumps for the excavators. The entire site is going to be leveled for the construction of a Nissan dealership.

Believe it or not, I hate seeing straight logs cut into firewood.

So my elm is an ash. First few feet are really pretty.

Ron

What if you cut everything, sold the logs, and give the landowners their fair share? It sounds like there isn't a whole lot there and it might be tuff to get a crew in there to cut whats left. I can walk you thru some of the bucking and how to market the logs. Also unless someone specifically asked for high stumps I wouldn't waste the wood. Any clearing I've ever done i cut the trees at normal stump heights. If using an excavator or backhoe to pop stumps pulling on the stump itself is rough on the bucket. If using a frost tooth you don't get much surface area to pulll on. I would dig around the stump to break the roots and then pop from underneath. Higher stumps can be in the way in that scenario.

I've had a few jobs where they wanted fairly high stumps to assist in stump pulling...

Which in reality is kind of a misnomer since like Bitz said, anymore folks are going to dig out the roots and pop em from below, not many use a winch to drag stumps out anymore, and even dozers are going away for this work.

Gopher it Ron, rent a dozer for a couple days to assist in the skidding, or use an old tractor if the ground is flat, see what happens.

Lol, I didn't do it, admin did. Does it become me?
Musta been too offensive eh? ( just kidding admin people's, don't go puttin me on the naughty list I'm just jokin in good fun) Had me goin for a second too when I got the alert lol. I could only imagine the handle they'd send for me haha

Yessir very well could be, I've heard tell of some giant pine stands around those southwest states in Arizona and New Mexico
I don't have a copy anymore, but Nat Geo did an arcticle about yellow pine logging in Arizona.
I drove thru there in 03 and visited every saw shop I found.
The ex GF even bought me a 2100 at a pawn shop in Winslow Arizona.
You should have seen what she bought me in El Paso! Lol.

Latest posts

Back