Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you sir!
I had a good one last week I wish I had taken a picture of, wind damaged tree that had half the forked top blown out last winter and the remaining top had about a 4 ft crack down the middle of what would've been the crotch of the fork.....hangin over the road. So I faced up a sizwheel on the side under the top so when it swung and pulled the top would set back against the crack instead of the other way where the top weight would pull the crack open and encourage a fold over on top of the dumb guy. Especially since I had to set a couple wedges to help it lift and swing a touch, get the top jared around and be test driving the dunce cap again lol

Second to last one of the day... nevermind the shiney blue stuff, that was doctored...

I wonder if them folks knows that sasquatch was sumpin the hemi's in their back yard :laughing: Nice job Northman, watching you blast them wedges with your fallin axe makes me think you could scare the begeesus outta softball stitchin and the person slow pitchin to ya! Nice video boss

once I grew into my size and figured out to mostly let go with the right hand... if I connected it was a homer... but baseball is boring think I'd rather watch astro turf fade.

Way back in the P.E. we had these goofy soft rubber soft balls that we would play with, if you hit them too hard they would potato on ya and do some weird ****, so ya had to be careful how hard you hit them, of course this was in Darrington, so if you did hit a homer it was like 300 yards to the fence, and then you stood the chance of getting ate by bears, stumbling into an old still, or kidnapped by large hairy things and sold on the black market under the tag yokel.

once I grew into my size and figured out to mostly let go with the right hand... if I connected it was a homer... but baseball is boring think I'd rather watch astro turf fade.

Way back in the P.E. we had these goofy soft rubber soft balls that we would play with, if you hit them too hard they would potato on ya and do some weird ****, so ya had to be careful how hard you hit them, of course this was in Darrington, so if you did hit a homer it was like 300 yards to the fence, and then you stood the chance of getting ate by bears, stumbling into an old still, or kidnapped by large hairy things and sold on the black market under the tag yokel.
No **** about the rubber softball, we used them in P.E. also and the teacher would really whip backspin into the slow pitch so when a guy really clobbered it the results we're quite interesting even more so than smackin na hell out of it in a normal pitch and gettin the potato effect. No bears or boogie mans, just codfodgin rattlesnakes!! Someone said they saw a cougar one time by the school but there wasn't hardly anyone without a rifle around town or that even came to the school so I'm not buyin that one

Way to beat the heck outta that wedge!

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting those logs out? You have your own truck and loader or do you hire that out?

hire out to self loaders.

No loader as yet, though an excavator is on the short list, just need money (there is a go fund me for northman logging... just sayin)

For now the trucking is way to expensive for what I do, someone told me once that you can go logging or you can go trucking, I figure I like logging better...

TMI moment....:baba:

To own a truck you need a CDL, $5000 for the class and $100 or more to take the test. Then you need insurance, likely in the neighborhood of $500-1000
a month, every month. Then you need to pay tonnage, at around $1000 a month. This is all before the first load of logs gets loaded or Hel even delivered.

Then you have tires 18-20+ at $500 a piece, about every year or 2, Fuel 5-6 miles a gallon, probably less (multiply that by a likely 300 miles a day)... a driver who's going to want 30 something an hour, plus medical, dental, and a vacation, so more like 45 an hour...

Meanwhile, I can manage 1 load a week... sometimes in good timber 2... once I even got 3 loads all by my lonesome...

No loader as yet, though an excavator is on the short list, just need money (there is a go fund me for northman logging... just sayin)

For now the trucking is way to expensive for what I do, someone told me once that you can go logging or you can go trucking, I figure I like logging better...
I'd choose logging over trucking any day.

TMI moment....:baba:

To own a truck you need a CDL, $5000 for the class and $100 or more to take the test. Then you need insurance, likely in the neighborhood of $500-1000
a month, every month. Then you need to pay tonnage, at around $1000 a month. This is all before the first load of logs gets loaded or Hel even delivered.

Then you have tires 18-20+ at $500 a piece, about every year or 2, Fuel 5-6 miles a gallon, probably less (multiply that by a likely 300 miles a day)... a driver who's going to want 30 something an hour, plus medical, dental, and a vacation, so more like 45 an hour...

Meanwhile, I can manage 1 load a week... sometimes in good timber 2... once I even got 3 loads all by my lonesome...
And that's if the truck is running not broke down, tires keep the air in them vs flat or blown, then you get to drive it for 10-15 hours a day if you get called for a haul sometimes more hours, then you might get to work on it all night just to be able to run the next day............ I'd take the loggin too even though I like truckin once in awhile but I like cutting and physically working better

And that's if the truck is running not broke down, tires keep the air in them vs flat or blown, then you get to drive it for 10-15 hours a day if you get called for a haul sometimes more hours, then you might get to work on it all night just to be able to run the next day............ I'd take the loggin too even though I like truckin once in awhile but I like cutting and physically working better
No issues over here needing trucks there's always a shortage. 500 might be virgin steer tires but everything else can be caps, mileage with our two 3406E trucks were around 6 to 7. Now the miles you run can vary we've ran close to 300 one way but I know for that wood it pays out vs taking them locally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

No issues over here needing trucks there's always a shortage. 500 might be virgin steer tires but everything else can be caps, mileage with our two 3406E trucks were around 6 to 7. Now the miles you run can vary we've ran close to 300 one way but I know for that wood it pays out vs taking them locally.

I figure when I'm to old and broken for active falling and what not, I'll get me a self loader or maybe a straight truck, but until then... I'm gonna be in the woods.

Though eventually once I have an excavator I'm going to want to get a larger dump truck and trailer, so I won't be dependent on other folks for hauling it. That and folks are really hurting for dump trucks too. Hel they are hurting for any kind of big truck right now. something like 50-100,00 drivers are needed this year in the US

if she was leanin a harder I probably would have cut the back first, it was mostly limb heavy to the right, and the neighbors house...

Mostly I use the jack as a labor saver on the bigguns, I have 2 of em, and I've only needed both on a handful of trees.

10-4 Skeans, good to know there's still plenty of work for trucks. Its funny cuz the drivers anytime you talk to them they act like their starving to death and can't make a dime, workin for free, I'm sure you've heard all the lines.
I really like the E model cat motors too, they're runnin mothers! A good friend of mine has an E in the first log truck he bought and gets 7-8 on fuel at 1200 dyno proven ponies to the rubber. He got a 74 A-model KW long hood last spring, swapped a C-15 into it that's crankin out 1300 to the rubber which is craziness but their his so it's always good conversation about log trucks when he's around. Have a good one out there Skeans

We had a guy trucking for a while that said he was putting close to a thousand to the drives. He said with sixty ton on it was real easy to pop a u joint if too much pedal was applied.

Mead used those here 30 years ago or more. The newest foresters were the ones who operated them. The guys I know that ran them said it was like being a tennis ball in a dryer. All the planting is done by traveling hand crews now.

Latest posts

Back