Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humboldt seems like a lot more work pulling up rather than using gravity and letting the saw eat.

It seems like it is? Try it sometime. You might be surprised at how easy it is. You might also be surprised and pleased at how much more control you have over the direction of fall.

I have not seen one log truck around here with conventional cuts on the butt end ,i think the mills would reject the loads if they got one .

I can sit in the same spot pull a face then a back cut off a dog on the saw show me a conventional face cutter that can do that? Most of your guys stuff is slow and doesn't pay be honest you guys do firewood for a living or pulp it's nothing like here I do CT for a living you guys back there are let's say.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Would you translate that to ENGLISH for the rest of us?

Would you translate that to ENGLISH for the rest of us?

We cut bigger timber here, taller fatter, worth more, in every way. What a lot of the East coast cuts is just pulp to us, or left for firewood, cause its not fit to haul to any mills.

East coast cutters brag about 100' tall trees... meanwhile we're just getting the brush out of the way. Not bragging, or knocking east coast cutters, just the way it is.

A stand of 60-80' tall Hemlock out here is referred to as Dog Hair (not a compliment) and is generally thinned so them trees will get much bigger. Meanwhile 60-80' pine on the east coast is normal money logging.

Doug Fir cut under say 120' or 18" dbh is premature, should be closer to 150' and over 24" dbh (not that it doesn't happen, but patience people geese... another 15 years and you have good export timber)

So if you folks wanna continue playing with a standard face, thats all fine and good, cause in comparison yer just playing, Humboldt Faces are faster, safer and more accurate. But thems the same ole argument on deaf ears.

It seems like it is? Try it sometime. You might be surprised at how easy it is. You might also be surprised and pleased at how much more control you have over the direction of fall.

I have tried it, don't like it. My goal is to leave stumps the same height as my clutch cover thickness.

Aw Northman now yer just bragging, I think the weather may have something to do with it. From the week at Christmas and two after it was -20* here, today 32* and in Vancouver 50*. So how does anyone expect our trees to grow much in a season. Have you done much cutting at 20 below? It’s damn cold, equipment certainly doesn’t like it. North of here it gets -30-40, they leave the diesels running 24-7.

Conventional faces go in faster because you're cutting less wood. That being said when I'm in steeper ground I'm using Humboldts a lot more. I use the face that I know will save out the stick. I think that's what a lot of east coast guys don't get. Take this red oak for instance. The root flair is terrible. Cutting an honest Humboldt in it would take forever. It's a conventional with a snipe on the stump which has a similar effect to a Humboldt. The goal to get the butt down asap. Yes the stump is high but it's a marm. Couldn't find another good swell picture. Cutting Humboldts in big hard maple is a nightmare. You're cutting twice the wood and it typically has dirt pockets. That whole 1" at the stump is worth a foot at the top is a myth. Most Mills don't like that twisted up stump wood. They want the super clear grain wood which is typically power head on it's side high on big trees or higher. So many guys focus on saving the butt log. That's the easy part. Saving out the entire stick all day will add up in bf by the end of week. And cutting just above the flair will get you several more trees down a day. I'll take another 1000 bf a day over saving a few tens of bf on the low stump. Like I said if the skidder runs over the stump it's good.
0805141158.jpg

Conventional faces go in faster because you're cutting less wood. That being said when I'm in steeper ground I'm using Humboldts a lot more. I use the face that I know will save out the stick. I think that's what a lot of east coast guys don't get. Take this red oak for instance. The root flair is terrible. Cutting an honest Humboldt in it would take forever. It's a conventional with a snipe on the stump which has a similar effect to a Humboldt. The goal to get the butt down asap. Yes the stump is high but it's a marm. Couldn't find another good swell picture. Cutting Humboldts in big hard maple is a nightmare. You're cutting twice the wood and it typically has dirt pockets. That whole 1" at the stump is worth a foot at the top is a myth. Most Mills don't like that twisted up stump wood. They want the super clear grain wood which is typically power head on it's side high on big trees or higher. So many guys focus on saving the butt log. That's the easy part. Saving out the entire stick all day will add up in bf by the end of week. And cutting just above the flair will get you several more trees down a day. I'll take another 1000 bf a day over saving a few tens of bf on the low stump. Like I said if the skidder runs over the stump it's good.
View attachment 627083
I disagree. Waste 6-8 inches on the stump and miss the last 8' log in a tree because of it and you'll wish you cut it lower. As for a humboldt face, they have their place and I use it when it's called for. Usually it's a double or rotten tree that requires a high stump. I use the humboldt for the same reason that west coast fallers originally did. To get the tree to slip off that high stump.

View attachment 627083

I guess at some point the question in my mind is, if that tree was not cut and sawed in full production mode but rather with an eye to what kind of grain could result out of that butt swell; would it be worth a heck of a lot more money? I don't have an answer, just thinking out loud. I love looking at the grain that comes out when a pc of wood is sawed or split

I guess at some point the question in my mind is, if that tree was not cut and sawed in full production mode but rather with an eye to what kind of grain could result out of that butt swell; would it be worth a heck of a lot more money? I don't have an answer, just thinking out loud. I love looking at the grain that comes out when a pc of wood is sawed or split
Guess that is another difference.

Most of our wood goes for structures, and funky grain in no good in a 2x4.

Sure is pretty in a hunk of hardwood though.

I would say if I put the left face like you guys I'd loose more then 2' you guys when come back then like Columbia helicopter lose your jobs. I've cut veneer alder it's cake compared to poles you guys wouldn't last. Another thing why do they bring guys from here for cutting vs back there.

A veneer grade alder or maple is allowed no deflect correct that includes no face on the log right? If so a Humboldt is the right choice even in Europe I learned from my wife who is from Germany they're no excuse, East coast boys.

I disagree. Waste 6-8 inches on the stump and miss the last 8' log in a tree because of it and you'll wish you cut it lower. As for a humboldt face, they have their place and I use it when it's called for. Usually it's a double or rotten tree that requires a high stump. I use the humboldt for the same reason that west coast fallers originally did. To get the tree to slip off that high stump.

Losing an 8' log in the end of the tree because of taller stump? Depends on how good your math is. Every once in a while and I mean about 6 times a year I think I should have cut the stump a few inches lower to get that last log. Definitely not a daily occurrence or weekly or monthly even. And like I said you'll put a lot more wood down in a day cutting just above the flare on most trees then fighting it.

Latest posts

Back