Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do that everywhere I go... The gf always gives me a hard time about it. I usually take it even one step further though, being a sawyer I am typically envisioning the timbers I could potentially cut out of them. I constantly find myself lost in thought while riding shotgun in the woods. Luckily for me, I am blessed with the PNW OG trees to feed my appetite!

Such as this one, just a couple of hours from home... The largest Coastal Douggie in the world!

brummitf.jpg

Yeah the wife gives me a hard time too! If we go for a hike through the woods with the kids or even driving down the road. "Would you quit looking at the damn trees!"

I do that everywhere I go... The gf always gives me a hard time about it. I usually take it even one step further though, being a sawyer I am typically envisioning the timbers I could potentially cut out of them. I constantly find myself lost in thought while riding shotgun in the woods. Luckily for me, I am blessed with the PNW OG trees to feed my appetite!

Such as this one, just a couple of hours from home... The largest Coastal Douggie in the world!

brummitf.jpg
That's a dandy. Where is it located? What's the diameter and height. I'd like to go visit that one sometime. I've heard that the largest ones are on the Willemette NF.

That's a dandy. Where is it located? What's the diameter and height. I'd like to go visit that one sometime. I've heard that the largest ones are on the Willemette NF.

It is the "Doerner Fir" as Jacob suggested... Located between Roseburg and Coos Bay essentially. If my memory serves me it is 11 1/2 ft diameter and ~320 ft tall?

I don't recall exact directions but they can be found through the BLM office in Roseburg. Or if you ask around in Winston or Tenmile, they can point you in the right direction.

brummitf.jpg

wouldnt that be the red creek fir
Red_Creek_Fir_Verticle_1.jpg
Red_Creek_Fir_New_Sign_Photo_by_TJ_Watt.jpg
How to get to the Red Creek Fir in Port Renfrew, BC

I would venture to say that the "Red Creek Fir" is not of the Coastal variety...? I'm fairly certain that as far as Coastal Doug's go, Oregon and Washington have been going back and forth for about 30 years on who had the biggest one. In fact, Oregon State University has a section of the previous record holder (that was 14 ft diameter before it blew down) at their College of Forestry. Perhaps the Doerner (the one I posted) is simply the tallest, not necessarily the largest DBH

I would venture to say that the "Red Creek Fir" is not of the Coastal variety...? I'm fairly certain that as far as Coastal Doug's go, Oregon and Washington have been going back and forth for about 30 years on who had the biggest one. In fact, Oregon State University has a section of the previous record holder (that was 14 ft diameter before it blew down) at their College of Forestry. Perhaps the Doerner (the one I posted) is simply the tallest, not necessarily the largest DBH

i think the osu tree came from the valley of the giants stand. if i remember it was the record holder till it bleww down. i think they determand it by the est. board feet it had . it's still there with a big cookie cut out of it. it was called big guy .

Last edited:
estimated to be over 600 years old, stood approximately 230 feet (70 m) above the forest floor, and had an estimated 36.5-foot (11.1 m) girth . this pic is allmost halfway up the trunk . theres stiil a lot in that grove that are still impresive.View attachment 182533

We are headed up the canyon of the Smith tomorrow, I have many favorites trees to watch for. The broad range of trees between Crescent City and Grants Pass is amazing, Coast Redwoods, pine barrens, Valley Oaks, OG DF stands, not much is missing. One of my sit on the tailgate and fall timber places, is Cal-Barrel Road in Prairie Creek SP. I never pass by without stopping, at the very least to have a smoke.

There are/were a bunch of very big Doug Firs, like any other tree, many record breakers got shat out of a lumber mill.

Biggest fir I've ever measured was in the Oregon Coast Range near Dallas; as I recall, it measured close to 12' DBH and was just kissing 300' tall. Biggest I've measured on the ownership where I work now is 110" DBH and 240' tall. It's important to note that really big trees are really hard to measure -- tops blown out, butt swell, etc. make precise measurement a task. Normal commercial timber of 32" DBH and ~160' tall are a snap by comparison.

Biggest fir I've ever measured was in the Oregon Coast Range near Dallas; as I recall, it measured close to 12' DBH and was just kissing 300' tall. Biggest I've measured on the ownership where I work now is 110" DBH and 240' tall. It's important to note that really big trees are really hard to measure -- tops blown out, butt swell, etc. make precise measurement a task. Normal commercial timber of 32" DBH and ~160' tall are a snap by comparison.

it wasn't valley of the giant's was it? it's blm land now.

View attachment 182547
It is the "Doerner Fir" as Jacob suggested... Located between Roseburg and Coos Bay essentially. If my memory serves me it is 11 1/2 ft diameter and ~320 ft tall?

I don't recall exact directions but they can be found through the BLM office in Roseburg. Or if you ask around in Winston or Tenmile, they can point you in the right direction.
Here's one that my uncle and I bucked up that my dad fell. I know it's not as big as the ones shown in this thread but it was a nice one. I'll not forget these days.

View attachment 182547
Here's one that my uncle and I bucked up that my dad fell. I know it's not as big as the ones shown in this thread but it was a nice one. I'll not forget these days.

Holy cow, I know that pic from the Roberge book. That is LEGIT!

it wasn't valley of the giant's was it? it's blm land now.

BLM land yes, Valley Of The Giants, no. It was on some ridge top above Mill Creek west of Dallas, OR.

Holy cow, I know that pic from the Roberge book. That is LEGIT!

BLM land yes, Valley Of The Giants, no. It was on some ridge top above Mill Creek west of Dallas, OR.

think i know where your talking about, there was a nice stand that started from the creek bottom that went up to the east . iknow they cut the lower stuff, i'll have to go over and see if it is still there.

There are/were a bunch of very big Doug Firs, like any other tree, many record breakers got shat out of a lumber mill.

That's the truth. I'm in a weird interior zone with a mix of interior and coastal fir. There's a lot of interior fir 10' dbh around here, but with the tops blown out of them or so full of defects, they'd hardly make firewood. I've seen quite a few gorgeous coastal type pumpkins laying on the ground rotting away laid over from erosion too.

Imagine the old days when everything was huge?

think i know where your talking about, there was a nice stand that started from the creek bottom that went up to the east . iknow they cut the lower stuff, i'll have to go over and see if it is still there.

You'll know you're on my trail when you find the orange tags on the bearing trees. This was for a BLM study begun in 1997, so the site should have been revisited twice now, which means the tags should be pretty fresh. It's a mile or so out past the end of a forgotten firebreak. I want to say the tree I'm thinking of is on a north-facing slope, and the ridge must run from east to west, if my memory of where the sun was is any indication. There was a gate at the bottom on a bridge across the creek itself. I also remember there being a county park or something about two miles out. I almost think I could find it again if I was there, but I don't have maps or pictures or anything, just hazy memory. One problem with forestry as a discipline is how often I only see places once.

You'll know you're on my trail when you find the orange tags on the bearing trees. This was for a BLM study begun in 1997, so the site should have been revisited twice now, which means the tags should be pretty fresh. It's a mile or so out past the end of a forgotten firebreak. I want to say the tree I'm thinking of is on a north-facing slope, and the ridge must run from east to west, if my memory of where the sun was is any indication. There was a gate at the bottom on a bridge across the creek itself. I also remember there being a county park or something about two miles out. I almost think I could find it again if I was there, but I don't have maps or pictures or anything, just hazy memory. One problem with forestry as a discipline is how often I only see places once.

i know where your talking about, the county park is no more, as are the trees that where there . i know the bridge your talking about. maybe next weekend i'll go get some exersize. this winter they lost a man on an escavator up there when he laid it over into the creek. worked for rice logging. :msp_sad:

Latest posts

Back