Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came around so slow I had time to dig in my pocket and get my phone out for this. I'll bet it took 12-15 seconds for total movement

That's how this one went (way back in Feb, cutting inside the fence):

Photo342.jpg

Got the full 120 degrees I wanted out of it, though -- it was hanging way out over a powerline and a road. Would have been OK to drop it in the road but not across the powerline. Managed to get it up across the sidewalk into the lawn. Sat on the stump for a few seconds before the hingewood broke. It probably took 5 seconds to swing but then paused with the kerf open about an inch while I stood back with my saw wondering if I ought to give the hinge some more love real quick. Was kind of anticlimactic when it finally went over.

Thats one of the best pics of a siswheel I've seen on here Hatt.

except it didn't pull, but not for a lack of giving the tree a chance. No harm, came around anyway from what he says. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

except it didn't pull, but not for a lack of giving the tree a chance. No harm, came around anyway from what he says. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

I know what your saying..when the siswheel does what its intended it folds until it closes and usually rips a big portion of root and stump out of the ground and stays on the butt..keeping the tree on the stump and swinging the maximum amout of time. Alot of times i use it in tandem with a dutchman or my own style of modified open dutch. I've swung trees 180 degrees to the lean this way with no wedge. Yet there is still a fail rate and you have to know when to use it and what you can get away with. I've also used siswheels with a full hinge to sidehill trees and hold the upper side longer. But you can also use a borecut with a pin or ear behind the hinge left on the high side and do the same effect...i usually do this with veneer trees they tend to save out better this way. The bore and pin works well with red and white oak and some cherry with root flare or root swell..alot of times you just gotta know when to stay in it or leave it hold. Alot of times wind and dutchmans dont agree either...unless its steady and really helping you...again sometimes.

Red oaks are funny. They seem to have a lot more factors involved regarding their holdability to the stump. Sometimes they pull sometimes not. This one had a hard lean overall and the amount of work I put into it had little return. Part of the wheel pulled and half did not. Sometimes its just better to dump and run. It seems like just a straight up full dutch does just as well with them as any other cuts.

I had a big ugly leaning white oak scare the #### out of me last Feb. It chaired and came 15ft back over the stump. It did have a crack that I should have noticed and I did not put a snipe in it.That with too much of a dutch and a narrow face and blamo. Its seems a soft dutch will help you get by on problem trees.

attachment.php

Leavin that strap behind the bore that you're refering too 440? I'm guessing this is what you mean. Hard leaning ash. Dutched the far side too. It did what I wanted. Yeah I take too many pictures. What can I say I love my job!
attachment.php

View attachment 237649
View attachment 237650

Thats one of the best pics of a siswheel I've seen on here Hatt.

Thank yez, I was sweatin' bullets until I saw it move.

'S true. I almost think that's why it paused on the stump -- the wood behind the siswheel was flexing but not breaking off. Either way, I was happier to have the extra wiggle room than not.

Cool . Boy you are in the jungle now . Heres what greeted me this morning .
IMG_20120509_092615.jpg

IMG_20120509_092443.jpg

Kindof odd to have a snow day in May .:msp_thumbdn:

We had 12" this day about 20 years ago. Holy #### 20 years ago. Anyway that was the last time I rember snow in may here. You're a touch farther north than me though!

Yeah this woods is thicker than ####. I can't see the marked trees until I'm 5 ft. away from them. Makes for a lot of walking when trying to figure layouts. My guess is it had a lot of elm that died off which created big holes in the canopy. Introduce some boxelders and it became a weed farm. Some really nice cherry in it though.

Red oaks are funny. They seem to have a lot more factors involved regarding their holdability to the stump. Sometimes they pull sometimes not. This one had a hard lean overall and the amount of work I put into it had little return. Part of the wheel pulled and half did not. Sometimes its just better to dump and run. It seems like just a straight up full dutch does just as well with them as any other cuts.

I had a big ugly leaning white oak scare the #### out of me last Feb. It chaired and came 15ft back over the stump. It did have a crack that I should have noticed and I did not put a snipe in it.That with too much of a dutch and a narrow face and blamo. Its seems a soft dutch will help you get by on problem trees.

attachment.php

Leavin that strap behind the bore that you're refering too 440? I'm guessing this is what you mean. Hard leaning ash. Dutched the far side too. It did what I wanted. Yeah I take too many pictures. What can I say I love my job!
attachment.php

View attachment 237649
View attachment 237650

Yup thats it in the ash stump bitzer. And looks like you had the red oak set up really well...sometimes there's the few that will still throw their middle finger up at you and not do exactly what you want. I have better luck with coventional face in them though..it seems like since the bottom cut is a level plane it lets it roll around a little more especially when walking them. Although ill throw a humbolt in when needed.

Old Rasputin is some tasty stuff, no joke.

'S like ol' whatsisname's advice in that one movie, regarding downhill skiing: "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!"

Digging up an old post. I am new to the site after all. That was John Cusack getting advice from Curtis Armstrong in the movie Better off Dead. Great flick!

I will now go back to reading the thread posts.

Mistuh Kurtz, he dead.

Cashed another job out today.

Next one is already cut and ready for the machine.

Keep on movin'

Theres timber that needs killin.

IMG_20120516_104509.jpg

044 Stihl, Madsen modified , 34" Sugi Hara bar , Oregon 75CJ , 3/8 63 ga chisel ground chisel bit .
Pro Teck air filter . The tree had been standing for approx. 1500 years . I counted over 1200 rings and there was approx a 28" hole where the heart had been.
Couldn't get a good face init as it kept opening up . It was split up pretty good . I had to lift the back cut about 5" to get it to fall . It was a snag stob about 70' tall .it took me 28 minutes to fall it and I made 29$ for fallin it ..

Ya , every one up here runs them . I have seen 1 that broke the mount in Deadhorse .but thats because he was the lead truck that busted thru about 200 miles of drifts at 40 below in close to whiteout conditions . Driving the haul road is beyond hard on things .
I've got a brand new in the box set of 240 s (10") and the blue filters also new I'll sell or trade . . The blue filters are for snow , falling or blowing .

BTW if you ever need anything checked on at Harbor Saw just let me know and I can do so. I'm in town and in there usually at least once every cpl weeks lol

Utilized my semi forced down time the past couple weeks .
IMG_20120521_133051.jpg

been wanting a new wedge pouch for several years but didn't want the same thing I had . Have always wanted a chain box and alot lighter ax scabbard .
IMG_20120519_160730.jpg
The chain box will hold 2,36" chains or 1,50" . Plus a bar wrench . The ax scabbard will pack up to a 4 lb rafting ax . But mainly I just pack a 28 oz. Frameing ax . .

Still need to make a loop with D ring for the tape . Been thinking about making spenders for it .

Nice handiwork! I have a buddy who is an awsome leatherworker.....makes all my tack, belts, knife sheaths etc.........If I ever start using wedges on a regular basis I will definately steal your idea!!!!

Tom

Latest posts

Back