Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might save a lot of walking Sam.

260894d1352066501-s5004315-640x480-jpg

I always try to have an ATV on site for cutting, I can't stand when people use mine or their skidder as golf carts to transport cutters, saws and gas around. I start skidders to pull logs and that is it. ATV's or in this case snow machines were made for moving humans around, skidders for logs. I know people that start the skidder drive into the woods, cut 3 trees, skid 3 trees, cut 3 trees and skid 3 trees, therefore they are either idling a skidder all day for half A$$ production or they are starting and stopping the engine all day long and walking back and forth all day,................... weird stuff.

Sam

Ya. I'm thinking about the 17 Hornady Hornet. For fox and lynx. Coyote have tougher hides.
Plank, those pecker pole stumps gotta go. What's with the dented up tin lid? Not smart! !!! Get a new hat.
I can show you the tombstones of a bunch of guys I cut timber with that got killed by getting hit on the head while cutting timber.
I don't know your pay structure, but a good job leads to more $$$ than slashing does. Your falling looks pretty good but low stumps are important .

Every year the whole clan goes christmas tree hunting, one year it snowed a bunch real early so the usual spots had 4-5 feet of snow, so we took snowmobiles. On the way up we passed a late 60's bronco, late 60's scout, and a jeep with a v-8, all had huge tires and roll cages the usual redneck stuff. 4-5 hours later were on our way back its dark its snowing hard and all three rigs are stuck in the ditches each one about 100 yards from each other and the snow is over the hood of two of em.
Long story short we broke a rope or two but pulled the bronco out with a 700 polaris rmk, he's the only one with a winch and said adieu. We did take pictures but my folks got them.

Hey Plankton, nice snaghunting!
As to fibre pulling-don´t be afraid of boring some of the heartwood, leaving two hingestraps on sides. A well-grown hardwoods of such dimensions usualy have enought tensile and even yield strenght in pressure to be able to hold most of the tree´s weight just on 3/4" wide hingestrap. Without a shade of crushing the wood. And about 1/4" (or even narrower in some species) strap across the dia. of a 30" hardwood can frequently easily withstands ALL the weight of the tree in pull along the grain. (The strenght of the wood of hardwoods in pull along the grain is almost always 1,5-2,5 times the strenght in pressure along the grain, depending on tree species, soil condition, part of the year... Mainly on them.)

So when the tree goes over, the front part of the hingewood don´t crush under the pressure as it does in softwood, so as the tree goes over more, the tension applied on the back of the hinge rises rapidly and concentrates mainly in thin portion of wood just on the back of the hingestrap. And because the wood withstands soo much in pull, it breaks not almost "all in one" as in "typical" softwoods, but breaks gradualy in thin layers-which leads to consecutive fibre pulling just before the grain breaks.
So means to weaken the hinge to a level where the hinge´s crossection yield and tensile strenght are somehow less than possible pressure and pull loads from the mass of the tree are welcome. It´s not a GOL or sissiness, it´s just a little of applied basics of Material science.
Maybe the first paragraph is too "scientific" for immediate orientation in what´s to be said, so for simplification:
In most hardwoods, the usual hinge, as can be easily chased all-day long, is too massive and capable of withstanding much higher forces, than those applicable by the tree´s own falling mass. Hence the fibrepulling comes from and making the hinge smaller (by boring the heart) prevents it.

32 here not that bad. Supposed to get snow starting yesterday and through this afternoon... but there isn't any yet so I'll believe itwhen I see it!

30 here and two inches of winter covering everything.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

-25 this morning. Hey Samlock ; what's your temp this morning? ?

I don't know, Glen. Around 10F, I guess. I had the block heater on, but it got warmer during the day. I had a rubber boots and wet snow under the collar day.

I live about 1/2 mile from salt water (as crow flys) and it was 30 this morning and now its 39 with blue skies looking to the east towards the foot hill the tops have a fresh blanket of the white stuff

Isn't anybody falling? Or are we sitting around with coffee cups and watching thermometers? I guess I'll have to go see if I can get some of the limb locked trees to actually hit the ground just so there'll be something to discuss other than temperatures. And that is getting desperate!:msp_biggrin:

Back