Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just put a load of trash on the truck.......14 trees lol.
you right Nate, i remember when hardwood saw like this load we wouldn't even cut and the big pine was like gold. meh, thats why god put all kinds of trees here, so one of um will be a hit even if others are not.

if y'all are sawing 13" logs.......pulp must be tiny.
Anything under 5" here is pulp for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just for fun, here's our hardwood specs.

Saw logs and veneer

Diameters down to 10" on saw logs
12 on veneer. No limit on large diameter, our timber isn't big enough to matter.

Lengths 8, 10,12,14,16 ft with 8 inch trim
8 and 10 preferred. 14 and 16 almost never. Occasional 6 and 7 ft prime veneer or figure.

Pulp. 4 to 36 in diameter. Length 6 to 9 ft. 8.5 preferred.

Bolts. 8' 8". 7 to 10 in diameter. Any bigger makes at least #3 log.

Just for fun, here's our hardwood specs.

Saw logs and veneer

Diameters down to 10" on saw logs
12 on veneer. No limit on large diameter, our timber isn't big enough to matter.

Lengths 8, 10,12,14,16 ft with 8 inch trim
8 and 10 preferred. 14 and 16 almost never. Occasional 6 and 7 ft prime veneer or figure.

Pulp. 4 to 36 in diameter. Length 6 to 9 ft. 8.5 preferred.

Bolts. 8' 8". 7 to 10 in diameter. Any bigger makes at least #3 log.
Are they not chipping your guys pulp?

No one here is taking pulp currently. All have closed their door or are under bankruptcy protection.

Pulp here was the rotten and crooked junk. If it was sound enough to make it to the landing they would take it. They made pellets from it. Used to...

My mill will saw 5 footers (diameter). They just don't get em often.

10" small end.
8s, 10s, 12s, 14s, 16s, 4-8" trim

Pulp they take 2-20" all 8s. All chipped into napkins and hamburger wrappers.

various mills to choose from, but a general idea...

16-42' in 8' or 10' multiples, most of em hate anything under 30', though they will buy em. (probably average a 32' log myself)

5-8" minimum dia, depending on mill and species (very important to remember who your sending them to)

Peeler fir 26-32' no knots minimum sweep, and tight grain

Peeler alder 12" or better no knots, minimum sweep, 8's or 10's with 6" trim

Pulp,mixed hardwoods (alder,maple,cotton wood, some birch/cherry) Fir and Hemlock for pulp 32"-2" with a 12' minimum and needs to be bucked on both ends

anything over 36" gets a slight ding on price Like 50-100 per 1k

chip wood......4" little end, 18" big end max. 16' to as long as you will haul. but i won't cut one dam stick for 17 a ton and truck it the 50 miles past two weigh stations. nope.
most every thing else is 10" top. pine 52'+
grade logs......i do it different than you guys. if they are nice sticks my buyer takes tree length or i buck at 42' for easier handling. he will veneer 13" but lets face it, on doyle scale thats a waste of time. if it ain't 20"dbh or better i will leave it to grow or throw it in the sawlog pile. sawlogs are up to 385 now so you have to figure which pile the marginal ones go in to make the most money.

whew, lots of wedging today. 12 sizwheels and three blocks, some with stacked wedges. the wind was right for the fence line but it still was some hard driving. every one of um wanted that line, some badly. mah arms is tired lol.
one pine i don't think the little deere will pull......maybe it will pull 52' of it?

8b6f5f4f4cf435ec9cc0a9e846bda735.jpg

View attachment 459011
I hope we get a good snow this year the brush so high all you can see is my hard hat wondering around.

No kidding ,try finding bar nuts when they fall off in that crap ,and the tree is creeking with your bar stuck in it ,and the powerhead is detached from the bar running in your hands .

I am dropping this old maple , already dropped the huge limb off the facing side, I notched the back then relieved both sides, everything worked well but is there a better way, this was a jred 2186 with a 28" bar

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back