Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having not been there, and the vid being a little far away for detail, looks like it was a bit rotten? probably why yer hold wood failed

Also, while a block face is a good thing for scetchy hold wood, the cuts all have to line up, or it creates a week spot in the fibers, and the hinge will always fail at the weakest point, Not to mention a block face it kind of awkward to establish in the best of circumstances, let alone chin high.

WEDGES, WEDGES, WEDGES worst case the bastard falls over backwards on you, rather then going sideways, sideways sucks yes and a wedge wouldn't have done a whole lot of good there, but back falling on top of you sucks a whole bunch more.

The one obvious thing is you cut most if not all of the hold wood off the side facing the camera, maybe definitely should have left a little bit there, that there is probably the leading cause of the tree going sideways.

Biggest thing is making your cuts match, and develop a plan then follow the plan, kinda looked like you where flying by yer pants through most of it?

Finally, if it was ok for the tree to fall in the direction it fell, I probably would have fell it that way from the start, especially considering possible rot. Or left the sucker branch on the facing side and fell it the way you intended, using that big sucker as a counter weight to the rest of the tree, albeit with a much lower stump.

There was no rot down where I was cutting, my notch as on the back side and the tree fell right where I wanted it to, maybe the video doesn't show up well enough. The tree is completely solid on the lower portion. The tree where I cut is about 34".

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

There was no rot down where I was cutting, my notch as on the back side and the tree fell right where I wanted it to, maybe the video doesn't show up well enough. The tree is completely solid on the lower portion. The tree where I cut is about 34".

Why didn't you cut it lower if it was solid? You can always walk the bar around the back cut to make sure it's long enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I cleared out the right and left side so my bar would reach all the way thru, down lower is real big and knarly, seemed easier to drop it like this. There was no danger of it falling back towards me, the overhead limbs were pulling it the way it went.

I cleared out the right and left side so my bar would reach all the way thru, down lower is real big and knarly, seemed easier to drop it like this. There was no danger of it falling back towards me, the overhead limbs were pulling it the way it went.

I run a short bar for out here and to cut oversize you cut your sight cut in first then take your bar nose until you feel the last bit of your cut and line up your cut with your sight line, this way yours saving wood and not having to block or take chucks out. Then your back cut I start on the same side I started my sight cut, cut in slightly and start walking around till you get where you want your hinge, then walk about around well cutting and not leaving posts.

Yep walk it around, use the nose to establish the off side, try to visualize where it would meat up with the full bar depth.

Can be difficult, and sometimes ya end up leaving a little post in the middle, but its totally doable.

the other option is to just dog in and go for it, from one side, establish hold wood, then swap sides and finish the cut.

miller, next time you make a block face make the vertical bore first and them make your top and bottom cuts meet it. and do it lower.
you should never ever make those side cuts when using a block. not in hard wood. if its leaning hard in the direction of fall, gut out some of the heart instead. hardwood will never chair in the sap wood.
remember, you use a block to make the hinge more flexible. there fore cutting off the sides of it defeat it's purpose.

miller, next time you make a block face make the vertical bore first and them make your top and bottom cuts meet it. and do it lower.
you should never ever make those side cuts when using a block. not in hard wood. if its leaning hard in the direction of fall, gut out some of the heart instead. hardwood will never chair in the sap wood.
remember, you use a block to make the hinge more flexible. there fore cutting off the sides of it defeat it's purpose.
Mike the blocks off the side were so he could make sure the bar could reach, I wondered the same thing I saw the video.

nope. still not tried a tin lid. i have several plastic jobs including a new in box fancy pants with ear muffs and a screen..........none of that crap fits right. the fancy pants will stay on with the ear muffs down, i just don't like to fall with my ears closed.

nope. still not tried a tin lid. i have several plastic jobs including a new in box fancy pants with ear muffs and a screen..........none of that crap fits right. the fancy pants will stay on with the ear muffs down, i just don't like to fall with my ears closed.
Never understood how you guys on the R coast can go without a tin hat, now the ear muffs, and screen I can't stand wearing just ear plugs here. If you do a tin hat they do make screens for them as well.

Having not been there, and the vid being a little far away for detail, looks like it was a bit rotten? probably why yer hold wood failed

Also, while a block face is a good thing for scetchy hold wood, the cuts all have to line up, or it creates a week spot in the fibers, and the hinge will always fail at the weakest point, Not to mention a block face it kind of awkward to establish in the best of circumstances, let alone chin high.

WEDGES, WEDGES, WEDGES worst case the bastard falls over backwards on you, rather then going sideways, sideways sucks yes and a wedge wouldn't have done a whole lot of good there, but back falling on top of you sucks a whole bunch more.

The one obvious thing is you cut most if not all of the hold wood off the side facing the camera, maybe definitely should have left a little bit there, that there is probably the leading cause of the tree going sideways.

Biggest thing is making your cuts match, and develop a plan then follow the plan, kinda looked like you where flying by yer pants through most of it?

Finally, if it was ok for the tree to fall in the direction it fell, I probably would have fell it that way from the start, especially considering possible rot. Or left the sucker branch on the facing side and fell it the way you intended, using that big sucker as a counter weight to the rest of the tree, albeit with a much lower stump.

I didn't see him look up.

Back