Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the snow is awesome. If i had it my way i'd be on a skidder in the summer & be cuttin in the winter. One of my favorite sounds is the creeking of a hinge just before the thrashing sound of the tree hitting the ground.

Here's a pic of my dad and I on a fir that leaned over the hwy. It just so happened that we had been working on a documentary with Stihl so the photographer came and filmed it. He use the clip at the end of the film showing my dad and I walking side by side down the log, kind of like the end of the day shot. It came out good.

Here's a pic of my dad and I on a fir that leaned over the hwy. It just so happened that we had been working on a documentary with Stihl so the photographer came and filmed it. He use the clip at the end of the film showing my dad and I walking side by side down the log, kind of like the end of the day shot. It came out good.

Sounds like a frame worthy pic, fitting for a place of honor in your house!

Yes the snow is awesome. If i had it my way i'd be on a skidder in the summer & be cuttin in the winter. One of my favorite sounds is the creeking of a hinge just before the thrashing sound of the tree hitting the ground.

If it's cold and snowy, you can always put on another layer but when it's hot and sweaty you can only take off so much ! Naked logging ? I think NOT .

If it's cold and snowy, you can always put on another layer but when it's hot and sweaty you can only take off so much ! Naked logging ? I think NOT .

Not too long ago I saw a clip on youtube where the faller was butt naked except for a hard(lol)hat, belt and saw.

I really wasn't prepared for it, almost sprayed my beer across the room when I saw. Good times.

Not too long ago I saw a clip on youtube where the faller was butt naked except for a hard(lol)hat, belt and saw.

I really wasn't prepared for it, almost sprayed my beer across the room when I saw. Good times.

In a case like that, you want to hold the saw up HIGH .

Yeah, cutting in the snow is good until you've got a snow load in a back leaner over the line and have to wedge it over. Then when some of it leaves the tree and comes down in the back of your neck. Gotta love it.
One thing I don't like is cutting on steep ground in the snow.

Yeah, cutting in the snow is good until you've got a snow load in a back leaner over the line and have to wedge it over. Then when some of it leaves the tree and comes down in the back of your neck. Gotta love it.
One thing I don't like is cutting on steep ground in the snow.

Last winter, not only was I cutting on a steep hill, but I had to use snowshoes ! Hard to run if trouble comes and I almost caught a 6" widowmaker on my melon . Unlike another well read post in this forum, I did have a hard hat but I'm glad I didn't have to test it out .

Last winter, not only was I cutting on a steep hill, but I had to use snowshoes ! Hard to run if trouble comes and I almost caught a 6" widowmaker on my melon . Unlike another well read post in this forum, I did have a hard hat but I'm glad I didn't have to test it out .
Yeah, it's a good thing you didn't have to test it out. However, you might have had the final word in the Skullbucket post. I'm not sure that's a positive thing as you might have had to endure some headaches to be classified as an authority.

I hate working in the snow. Play yes, work no. I will always equate snowshoes with work. Not fun. Have you ever been upside down in a snow hole having to unbuckle your snowshoes so you can get right side up and a helicopter is flying a bit too close for comfort? I survived. Not fun and one of those, Was I that stupid? memories.

There've been winters where if you didn't have snowshoes on, and you stepped off the packed skid trail, you would likely disappear. Maybe they'd find you in the early Summer. Maybe you'd have time to scribble a note (a la Jeremiah Johnson) that said, "This here's mah paint gun. Whoever finds me is welcome to it. It has painted many a tree." Chaining up is not fun, there's always that drip of water you get in the ear.

Clambering over the fell and buck in deep snow, because they needed only one more corridor to finish the unit.
I'm sorry. I say BAH to working in the snow. BAH I say!!:msp_thumbdn:

I hate working in the snow. Play yes, work no. I will always equate snowshoes with work. Not fun. Have you ever been upside down in a snow hole having to unbuckle your snowshoes so you can get right side up and a helicopter is flying a bit too close for comfort? I survived. Not fun and one of those, Was I that stupid? memories.

There've been winters where if you didn't have snowshoes on, and you stepped off the packed skid trail, you would likely disappear. Maybe they'd find you in the early Summer. Maybe you'd have time to scribble a note (a la Jeremiah Johnson) that said, "This here's mah paint gun. Whoever finds me is welcome to it. It has painted many a tree." Chaining up is not fun, there's always that drip of water you get in the ear.

Clambering over the fell and buck in deep snow, because they needed only one more corridor to finish the unit.

I had to do it with back country skis when a cornice collapsed under me . I would have been a warm pile of coyote crap if I hadn't gotten out .

I remember back in the 70s when we had to work in the snow or not work at all. We'd be shoveling out 4-5 feet of snow around the stumps to get that FS 1' high stump. The worst part was when they would go you had to climb out of the hole. You know the nearer your destination the more you slip slidin' away. Then you'd have to dig out just to buck them as they would be buried in the snow. Looking back on it objectively I think the thing I remember the most is that I was so glad to be working.

We had to work in it, but didn't have to like it. I did like the Wisconsin reinforced canoe paddle. To get a stump mark, jam that baby down against the tree exposing the bottom part of the tree and then squirt some paint down the hole. Remarkably, it gets a low stump mark on the tree. I went back in the summer and checked.

Now, for playing in, snow is OK if you can get there.

I really didn't mind snow all that much at the time, but now I like to drive out to the bluffs and look back at the mountains, where snow belongs. Logging with shovel use had little appeal.

Yeah the digging out of stumps, escape paths, and room for bucking gets old. Setting chokers can be a lot easier if the snow isn't too packed, but your hands get wet and cold in a hurry. We get both kinds of snow here, wet and dry. There was a lot more dry stuff this year which is usually more workable. Yep and the snow down the neck never fails.

Latest posts

Back