Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's snow and then there's SNOW . These pictures are from our famous Blizzard of '77 about a mile down the road from where I live . This was taken almost two weeks after the storm when the rotary plows finally opened the road . Note the snow up to the power lines . The Jeep in the picture had been abandoned the first day and the plow managed to stop before he hit it . This is on a ridge that overlooks Lake Erie so deep snow is nothing new but this was a bit much .
A few years later, when my mother's (far right in picture) kidneys quit on her, she had to be snowmobiled out as the plows couldn't get through and it was too windy for Mercyflight to land . Local farmers down the road all got their tractors and plowed as far as they could so the ambulance could get within a few miles .

One of my major snow achievements, was driving transit in the Seattle Snow storm of Dec. 1988 without ever getting stuck or hitting anything. It was the commuter service that operated from Snohomish county into Seattle and Belview. We had those big tank like GMC RTSIIs, a great bus, very stable, fast for a transit coach, but very heavy, with a high center of gravity and tended to slither and wallow in snow. Those fracked up bridges froze to a shiny glaze, the City's hills were choked with abandoned vehicles, I-5 looked like a disaster movie. As attrition set in, there were only a few of us still circulating, rescuing the stranded well past midnight. This went on for a few days, snow, in Seattle in a nasty word.

It's funny how a few weeks off can change a guy's attitude about what he'll put up with to work. :laugh:
Yeah, isn't that the truth. Then when we look on it years later all we can see is the good stuff. I guess it makes for some good stories though.
My dad and his brother had an uncle that used to work for them. He was a bandy legged man with quite a bit of the Irish in him and he didn't mind being mischievous at all. When they came up to the job one morning it had snowed over the weekend about 4 feet over 2 already there. Everyone jumped out to take a leak and went to their corners. Uncle Tom went and proceeded to use his formidable left hand to pitch snowballs at my dad and uncle. He couldn't run very fast but my dad and uncle could. When they caught up with him they each grabbed a leg and an arm and proceeded to chuck him over the bank into the snow. All that was sticking up was his legs running as fast as they could. After a bit his legs slowed down considerably and the rest of the crew said they had better pull him up. He was pretty blue when they hauled him out of the snow bank.
It didn't stop him from being Uncle Tom at all.

One of my major snow achievements, was driving transit in the Seattle Snow storm of Dec. 1988 without ever getting stuck or hitting anything. It was the commuter service that operated from Snohomish county into Seattle and Belview. We had those big tank like GMC RTSIIs, a great bus, very stable, fast for a transit coach, but very heavy, with a high center of gravity and tended to slither and wallow in snow. Those fracked up bridges froze to a shiny glaze, the City's hills were choked with abandoned vehicles, I-5 looked like a disaster movie. As attrition set in, there were only a few of us still circulating, rescuing the stranded well past midnight. This went on for a few days, snow, in Seattle in a nasty word.
If I remember right that was a pretty good Siberian Express coming down from the north. It put everything here to a stop too.

The interesting or sad thing is that snow still pretty much glues things shut in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I was reading an interesting article from one of KOMO's weather reporters the other day. It was stated that if this weather pattern we had in April had occured in January we'd been measuring the snow fall in feet not inches.

The interesting or sad thing is that snow still pretty much glues things shut in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I was reading an interesting article from one of KOMO's weather reporters the other day. It was stated that if this weather pattern we had in April had occured in January we'd been measuring the snow fall in feet not inches.
Yeah, it's a little hard for me not to grin too much when people living in the largest clear cut in the PNW get tangled up in a little snow.

Yeah, it's a little hard for me not to grin too much when people living in the largest clear cut in the PNW get tangled up in a little snow.

Isn't that the truth?! I point that out all the time to people in Vancouver when they question what I do for a living! Most are unaware that Vancouver started out as a logging camp! lol Stanley Park, the crown jewel was the first place they started off the beach. Apparently most people think those big old stumps were made by good ol Ma Nature! lol

There's snow and then there's SNOW . These pictures are from our famous Blizzard of '77 about a mile down the road from where I live . This was taken almost two weeks after the storm when the rotary plows finally opened the road . Note the snow up to the power lines . The Jeep in the picture had been abandoned the first day and the plow managed to stop before he hit it . This is on a ridge that overlooks Lake Erie so deep snow is nothing new but this was a bit much .
A few years later, when my mother's (far right in picture) kidneys quit on her, she had to be snowmobiled out as the plows couldn't get through and it was too windy for Mercyflight to land . Local farmers down the road all got their tractors and plowed as far as they could so the ambulance could get within a few miles .
Now that's the kind that just plain shuts you down. There's no digging out the stumps in that kind of snow. I think the most I've worked in is about 4-5 feet. The snow had kind of sunk around the stumps so it wasn't too awful bad to get down and do the dirty.

I remember reading in a National Geographic several years back an article about coffee. It said the average Finlander drinks 11 cups a day. If thats average, I knew that 20 was ok. Too bad the hotter weather is coming and actually have to regulate myself or else cramps.

I don't drink any coffee or caffeine. If I do, time lags behind and I enter this strange half assembled world, then I don't sleep all night.
Last time i had caffeine was a few days ago on my trip down south. Drank one of those energy drinks and drove down to Brookings in 8 hrs, stayed up through the day, hiked around the redwoods, jumped around on jetty rocks. Then I tried to sleep that night & nothing.
I almost drove my moped off the road on my way to work one morning after drinking a few cups all at once. My dad can chug the stuff and fall right asleep though,hmmm.

I remember reading in a National Geographic several years back an article about coffee. It said the average Finlander drinks 11 cups a day. If thats average, I knew that 20 was ok. Too bad the hotter weather is coming and actually have to regulate myself or else cramps.

Sure you're not mixed up with dur Norwegians? Mrs. Olson and friends?

If you were close to the hub of our little community, you could hasten down the road and get ice coffees (frappes) in the hot weather. I like them. My Scandihoovian ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves though. My late uncle used to give me a hard time about not liking the taste of coffee. What! You are Norwegian and you don't like coffee!!

I do, when mixed with hot chocolate. Could one's Jack Mormon ancestry be at odds with the Scandihoovian ancestry? :msp_ohmy:

I remember reading in a National Geographic several years back an article about coffee. It said the average Finlander drinks 11 cups a day.

Hey, I'm an average Finlander. Let's sum up yesterday consumption. I drink coffee in mugs, which is approximately 2 cups.

Morning, reading newspaper 4 cups

Refill at the gas station 2 cups

After work goss... updating information
at the gas station again 2 cups

Dinner 4 cups

Assembled a bookshelf for MIL 4 cups

total 16 cups

A regular day. No shakes. Well, I have to reduce it in the summer too.

Latest posts

Back