Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rotten trees all these guys flip out over had the tops snap off years earlier. The first snag was way to close to a major power line, it was 45 feet tall, we rigged a rope to pull the top in the right direction. The sloping cut was used with wedges to push the snag over and keep the butt in contact with the stump, the wood had limit strength. I had to be sure to get the snag safely on the ground, to many neighbors watching.

Just take a hike kid.....get on outta here.

Oh ####, took me a little while to get it. Not you man, no offense! Hey you been doin any fishin lately?
Got into some warm water fish here in VA, few bass, lots of pan fish. i am kiching myself for not bring more gear with me,(its all packed up ready to be moved) once I return to the left side I plan on hooking my first king salmon but that is a big thing. I know NOTHING about the water where Im moving to, I do know that there is plenty of it!
Hey Ted, remind me not to hire that guy if I need somebody who knows what they're doing.

You got it Boss.

Bitzer, when I saw the post of your wedge pouch the other day I was going to reply that I liked your pouch but it just seemed a touch strange ! but I can't resist "you are well hung" well atleast in the in the axe handle dept !
Gologit, thanks I like the meander side of things, first off Randy refered to a Block cut and Im guessing that it is in the case of old growth where an actual directional cut would be of small use ? you are removing a notch to allow the fall or is it the direcrtional cut being "blocked out " what we call the face cut or Gob ? I will have many more Im sure !!

I've fished for salmon just outside the mouth of the Columbia twice. It was really great but if you see a couple fried eggs and a donut floating around ot there stay away from it. Bad juju.

Bitzer, when I saw the post of your wedge pouch the other day I was going to reply that I liked your pouch but it just seemed a touch strange ! but I can't resist "you are well hung" well atleast in the in the axe handle dept !
Gologit, thanks I like the meander side of things, first off Randy refered to a Block cut and Im guessing that it is in the case of old growth where an actual directional cut would be of small use ? you are removing a notch to allow the fall or is it the direcrtional cut being "blocked out " what we call the face cut or Gob ? I will have many more Im sure !!

I don't block cut more than a couple times each year but when I do I like to have a railroad pick to help get the blocks out. I am not good at block cuts where the tree is bigger than the saw bar. That takes some serious skill.

Block cutting is a art form.You rarely see a tree being taken that needs a block cut. We have gone to harvesting pecker poles in the US as a general rule. Canada still harvests a lot of big trees still:rock:

You rarely see a tree being taken that needs a block cut. Canada still harvests a lot of big trees still. Block cutting is a art form. We have gone to harvesting pecker poles in the US as a general rule.

I've fished for salmon just outside the mouth of the Columbia twice. It was really great but if you see a couple fried eggs and a donut floating around ot there stay away from it. Bad juju.

OK. Now that's funny right there. That's called chumming. Herring chunks usually work better however.

That anklebiter is still hanging around ! Thanks 2 Dogs that is what I thought, the direction cut is large enough to have to be sectioned out. Getting everything lined up would be hard enough alright.

Last edited:
Holy #### balls, I go to work and come back and this thing's still alive.

Back on topic. That little Stihl wedge is quite the trick piece of equiptment. Had a big cold front blow in today. Last hour of the day of course. Nice fat rotten, uphill leaning fir. That little bastard will drive into anything. Best 5 bucks I've spent in a long time. No...you're not supposed to get pinched......especially when posting on internet forums full of big bad timber fallers......But I'm just a regular faller......and I get pinched......and that little wedge is amazing.

Bitzer, I like the wedge pouch, seems like a good set up. My pockets are quite stretched. Lol.

Lots of good info here...but.....ignore button....use it.

Hope you all are well and busy - Sam

Here is a baby faced Cody playing with the block-cut.

YouTube - ‪Falling Old Growth Redwood. Humboldt County CA 2002‬‏

YouTube - ‪Falling an Old Growth Redwood; Humboldt County 2002‬‏

I saw it used mostly in trees 10' to 22' in diameter.
Properly done, you can control the trunk almost every second, until it hits the ground.

I block-cut this Pine, it needed to be placed perfectly and fall in a certain way.

Picture015-1.jpg

My first Redwood. It was an inch bigger than Cody's.

Redwood1-1.jpg

One of the first things I bought from Bailey's was rafting axe. It was a 5lb head on a 28" handle. That was back around 1986 I guess. I wasn't falling any big stuff so a year or so later I bought a 3lb axe. That was a little too light so I bought a 4lb axe from Madsen's. All these axes were Council or Collins. Cody needed an axe for himself so I called Madsen's and ordered another 5lb axe. I did not specify brand so what showed up was a Truper. This Mexican made POS would have taken hours of grinding to get the head flat and the handle was unuseable. I called Madsen's mad as a wet hen but the sales guy just sighed and said most people just shop price. They told me to keep the Truper, no charge, and the sent me a Council. I also have a 6lb Council with a 36" straight handle which I never use.

Wedges I carry in my back pockets or in a pouch. One belt has suspenders and two pouches,one for a water bottle). The plain belt just has a wedge pouch. Both belts have a first aid pouch. The suspenders belt has an aluminum axe scabbard by Grizzle Peak. BTW I change kind of stuff around all the time.
Grizzly Peak Enterprises - Smelterville Idaho

I'm pretty sure it was 2 inches bigger than Cody's. At least a good foot taller as well. And you saved yours out better. I'll be sure to remind him of the stats...:pumpkin2:

Thanks Randy I'll look at those in the morning, bad signal here at home far better at work which is strange since Im up a small mountain at home and in a woodland at work !

Sam I would have to agree those Stihl wedges ae made of very tough stuff and as such you would expect them to bounce the axe back at you instead of driving in as they do.

OK, now I will make trouble. Maybe. What kind of wedges does one use in the GOL class? I should have asked for recommendations at the GTG for GOL ASAP. I really hate acronyms.

I have a few for bucking stuff up and the wedges are the ones from the seconds bin in Madsens. I'm not sure what makes them seconds.

Latest posts

Back