Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the ignore list. Somebody from Norcal mentioned it. I no longer see post from idiot boy:msp_thumbup:

To wedge or not wedge

No need for a sloping back cut on a solid green tree. Flat cut and put a few wedges in for safety and watch the old girl hit the terra ferma:rock: The only time sloping cuts get used is for very rotten high risk trees, not solid live trees.

As I have already posted there is some great info posted on this thread and as we all know some complete dross by one member ! but as a member from across the way some of the terms may as well be klingon ! so should I start a new thread or is it ok to carry on here ?
Im refering to the felling cut terms I'm fairly sure I have got most of it but would rather be sure.

OK. Thanks for the quick reply. What size trees does the sloping backcut work in? Also, just to be clear, do you only use the sloping backcut in rotten tres?

The rotten trees all these guys flip out over had the tops snap off years earlier. The first snag was way to close to a major power line, it was 45 feet tall, we rigged a rope to pull the top in the right direction. The sloping cut was used with wedges to push the snag over and keep the butt in contact with the stump, the wood had limit strength. I had to be sure to get the snag safely on the ground, to many neighbors watching.

Any links to photos of wedges used back in hand felling days ?

Look at usuall places but may have missed something.

..not biting

I'll try to remember to take some pics tonite of some falling and bucking wedges that I have in my collection. Once you see them you'll be real glad that we have plastic wedges.

Holy balls, about the only thing that'll keep a kid off of ya is if you ignore him.

Anyway, great stories about when you boys got broke in. I only wish I could have grown up in such a great time and place. Randy, I remember you mentioning that pulaski and bustin blocks, that woulda been my guess.

I re-hung these both during my lunch break today. The lighter one shook loose last week and the heavier one needed a longer handle. Also this is how I carry my axe. 3" belt leather. I do a lot of carpentry for one of my jobs and on my free time so I am used to always wearing some kind of belt with everything in it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 189000
View attachment 189001

AXE CARRY

On page 8 someone asked how do you carry the axe I use a leather hammer holder and then bend the loop up and around so it fits axe snugg I then use enough tape on the end of the axe so it is a tight fit and will not slip out unless you give it a good tug

Best use for a wedge not realated to logging

I used mine to wedge the door open between the door frame and the door just above the electric door switch so I catch it with a cloths hanger to open the door after my wife locked the keys in the truck

Has anyone tried one of these

Fiskars X25 Super Splitting Axe with 28" Handle

I thought of buying even though it was high priced and cutting the handle off at the right length it is use less in it current form but seems like it would make a sweet axe for driving wedges

As I have already posted there is some great info posted on this thread and as we all know some complete dross by one member ! but as a member from across the way some of the terms may as well be klingon ! so should I start a new thread or is it ok to carry on here ?
Im refering to the felling cut terms I'm fairly sure I have got most of it but would rather be sure.

Either way would be fine. These logging threads kind of meander around anyway. Another meander won't hurt. Ask away. If, perchance, you get some really bad information from an ankle biting wannabe I'm sure the rest of us will clarify things for you.

Holy balls, about the only thing that'll keep a kid off of ya is if you ignore him.

Anyway, great stories about when you boys got broke in. I only wish I could have grown up in such a great time and place. Randy, I remember you mentioning that pulaski and bustin blocks, that woulda been my guess.

I re-hung these both during my lunch break today. The lighter one shook loose last week and the heavier one needed a longer handle. Also this is how I carry my axe. 3" belt leather. I do a lot of carpentry for one of my jobs and on my free time so I am used to always wearing some kind of belt with everything in it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 189000
View attachment 189001

hey now, cant you word that any differently?:biggrin:

I'll try to remember to take some pics tonite of some falling and bucking wedges that I have in my collection. Once you see them you'll be real glad that we have plastic wedges.

Thought I had remembered seeing a couple of old black and whites on one of the historical site collections, but just haven't been able to find it again..

The rotten trees all these guys flip out over had the tops snap off years earlier. The first snag was way to close to a major power line, it was 45 feet tall, we rigged a rope to pull the top in the right direction. The sloping cut was used with wedges to push the snag over and keep the butt in contact with the stump, the wood had limit strength. I had to be sure to get the snag safely on the ground, to many neighbors watching.

So you put wedges in a sloping back cut of a rotten tree, man you make yourself sound worse and worse!

Alright I'm going to say one thing in reference to you. I'm not really sure how the thread ended where I said my piece about the $4000 snag removal around the power line with the infamous farmer cut pics because it was shut down by the time I got back there how many weeks or months ago. My 4 year old son could pull the line on that 45ft tall rotten piece of #### you keep railing about. It wasn't the spectacular sloping backcut and wedges that kept that thing moving. A rope 2/3 of the way up a tree can do an incredible amount of work. Leverage. Physics, etc...

We will all get it in the end. Some sooner than others.

Back