Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It don't pay to be silent in bear country!

True, make some noise. They tend to shy away... unless it's a momma bear... with cubs... if you see one, slowly back away without making eye contact, but still seeing the bear and where she is... or run... maybe she will leave you alone.

If she don't, either shoot, or play dead. Either most likely would save your ass.

You guys are ascared of bears? Our Western Warshington bears are ascared of us. They get hunted once and sometimes twice a year. I'll maybe see a rump as one is running away. Never had problems with them, even in the huckleberry patches.

Let me see, last spring while out doing some recon for possible units, there was poop in the road, old, not so old, fresher and ruh roh. I never saw the bear but The Used Dog was along and was looking over the edge of the road with his hair up and barking ferociously. There were a lot of freshly girdled trees.

I don't expect to see a bear. Just mosquitoes and flies.

You guys are ascared of bears? Our Western Warshington bears are ascared of us. They get hunted once and sometimes twice a year. I'll maybe see a rump as one is running away. Never had problems with them, even in the huckleberry patches.

Let me see, last spring while out doing some recon for possible units, there was poop in the road, old, not so old, fresher and ruh roh. I never saw the bear but The Used Dog was along and was looking over the edge of the road with his hair up and barking ferociously. There were a lot of freshly girdled trees.

I don't expect to see a bear. Just mosquitoes and flies.

Mosquitoes and bitey flies? I'll bake a cake.:laugh:

Here it seems every low spot has a green scum on it, perfect breeding grounds for skeeters, and they seem to be setting up waves to attack you including forward air controllers, fighter support, and refuelers. Even the lawn in the heat of the day is no longer safe unless you've showered with deet, much less trying to head into the woods.

No kidding... make sure you got at least a .357 Magnum on ya... them bears ain't to be fooled around with...

I would carry may Redhawk in 45 Colt with some good handloads. My wife took claim to my GP100 after we got married.

Ummmmmn, now who knows more about local bears, a local or guys from AZ and some back east state. Hmmmm. I wonder???? Hunting season for bears starts Aug. 1 and then I am way more worried about getting shot by a hunter than attacked by a bear. There seems to be a "mistook a person for a bear" kill each year.

I survived. The Used Dog Survived our hike. We only got a mile or so in because then the ice age began and the glaciers were unstable--I don't like to posthole or snowshoe. We heard a crashing in the brush below and decided from recent tracks that it was most likely an elk.

On the way up, Bob The Faller was there changing out of his boots. He was done cutting for the day. I told him that retirement was good. We agreed that the timber in the area was crappy.

Here's some photos of The Used Dog and a Cornice, and where the ice age begins...I think I was around 5000 feet in elevation.

191627d1311365598-fail0001_2-jpg

191628d1311365601-fail0001_3-jpg

191629d1311365604-fail0001_4-jpg

View attachment 191627View attachment 191628View attachment 191629

Last edited:
As for being scared of bears I would say not really. But I have lots of respect for them. Here is a pic of me back in 94 with one I shot with my bow. I didn't have a gun with me either. I took this bear only 20 miles from where I live. And yes most bears will run away when people get near them but not allways. A lady was mauled by a bear just 45 miles away in another town a few weeks ago.

attachment.php

Several years back there was a European couple mauled to death in Yellowstone park. Somehow, I recall that one was from Hungary and the other was from Czechoslovakia?

Anyway, it was unusual in that the rangers determined that a pair of bears did the mauling. They tracked down and shot a male and female bear. They autopsied the mama bear and found traces of the Hungarian’s clothing, so they just assumed that the Czech was in the male. . . .

Several years back there was a European couple mauled to death in Yellowstone park. Somehow, I recall that one was from Hungary and the other was from Czechoslovakia?

Anyway, it was unusual in that the rangers determined that a pair of bears did the mauling. They tracked down and shot a male and female bear. They autopsied the mama bear and found traces of the Hungarian’s clothing, so they just assumed that the Czech was in the male. . . .

BaDa Boom:ices_rofl: An oldy but still a goody. A week after we left Cody, Wy last year some old boy that had a cabin in the area was eaten by a Grizzly. Seems he was released just a couple of hours prior to the attack. He was probably still pissed from being manhandled by humans.

As for being scared of bears I would say not really. But I have lots of respect for them. Here is a pic of me back in 94 with one I shot with my bow. I didn't have a gun with me either. I took this bear only 20 miles from where I live. And yes most bears will run away when people get near them but not allways. A lady was mauled by a bear just 45 miles away in another town a few weeks ago.

And are you a local (meaning here) expert? Do you know the conditions here?

The only people who are that ascared of bears are the city people who come here to recreate. There was ONE road builder guy but he was always seeing scary things.

This is not Yellowstone, nor Montana, nor Pennslytucky, nor Arizona. I assume a grizzly probably wanders down here once in a while. But I've been left alone. I'm used to being in the woods here. You?

Maybe I'm sensitive because this is the subject that I get extremely tired of. It went like this. I'd get flagged down in my Forest Service pickup for some important questioning. Like, where are the elk? Can we take our pickups behind the locked gate to go pick up the deer we shot? Etc. Then the same old ****. Aren't you afraid to be out here? Aren't you afraid of the bears? You need to carry a gun....and the thought went through my head that maybe it was a good idea then I could shoot the stupid city people and shut them up. It gets real old. Every year. And now on this forum? That really sucks.

And are you a local (meaning here) expert? Do you know the conditions here?

The only people who are that ascared of bears are the city people who come here to recreate. There was ONE road builder guy but he was always seeing scary things.

This is not Yellowstone, nor Montana, nor Pennslytucky, nor Arizona. I assume a grizzly probably wanders down here once in a while. But I've been left alone. I'm used to being in the woods here. You?

Maybe I'm sensitive because this is the subject that I get extremely tired of. It went like this. I'd get flagged down in my Forest Service pickup for some important questioning. Like, where are the elk? Can we take our pickups behind the locked gate to go pick up the deer we shot? Etc. Then the same old ****. Aren't you afraid to be out here? Aren't you afraid of the bears? You need to carry a gun....and the thought went through my head that maybe it was a good idea then I could shoot the stupid city people and shut them up. It gets real old. Every year. And now on this forum? That really sucks.

City? I don't live out in the city. All I know is I wouldn't be going about without a powerful handgun in the woods that have bears. Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it... I honestly think it's lack of planning for the unexpected for someone to travel out in the woods where bears are present...

Also, I am not scared of bears, I respect them. They are powerful animals, and that being said, I don't think it's very wise for anyone to travel in their habitat without the means to defend themselves from one of nature's great beasts. Not worried about elk either? Well, they have attacked humans too... so either way, a good old revolver or Desert Eagle, at least .357 Mag or larger, is a wise idea... just in case something goes awry when you least expect it to.

Back