False Crotch vs. Rope Saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was curious on this board's general opinion on wether you use a rope saver, false crotch, or a natural crotch. Which do you feel is easier to install a rope saver or false crotch and in what cases would you use a natural crotch(if ever) for it wears rope and causes crotch abrasion.

Forrest,

The first tool was the leather "Cambium Saver". I've seen it in use but dont have one. Not hard to set from ground or retrieve. Has more friction than two ringed friction savers. These require an isolated crotch to set from ground. I rarely do this, as, A, I work in lots of conifers, and B, typically use other ascension methods.

Also, I don't always use friction savers, if the bark is thick, the retrieval possibly difficult, and the rope is worn a bit already. also, if the tree is small and the wear on the crotch will be minimal, I sometimes don't bother.

I now prefer non ringed f savers, with a biner and pulley on one end, large biner on the other. You can, if needed, use another for a redirect and both can be retrieved from the ground. Only reason fro the pulley is if you are doing considerable up and down work, it makes going back up a real breeze. But it puts most of the load and thus friction on the climbing knot, and this must be taken into consideration. Works well with the Vt (French prussic), but will tend to bind up most knots.

So, think we know our ropes:? LOL

For me it depends on how much time I'll be in the tree. For a quick up and down, job I just use a natural crotch. When I'm going to be going up and down more, I use a two ringed cambium saver, friction saver, friction mover, or whatever they are calling them this week.

Mornin' Mike,

1: That's Tom with the unused (in the pic) f saver. What do you carry them with on your belt?

2: Got me, I've never figured it out either...maybe my third leg?
In this pic, 335 and hand saw are both hanging down:

Number 2 does look like a 335 flipped bar up with mostly the chainbreak lever visible.

fc/tip, as Uncle Tom, dont call me MR., Dunlap likes to refer to it. I dont like the False Crotch nomenclature because this is used for the old school method of cutting into the stem. Mechanical Tie in Point or Mtip seems better to me.

I like the biner styled becuse I use ascenders to get up into the tree and I dont need to feed the whole rope through it, take my snap off...

On long pitches the pulley helps.

If the branch is very large I will still use the the Mtip just to keep the rope running easy.

I've started using an old rope spliced end and a split tail for my Mtip. Don't have any tress cords yet.

My biggest problem is remembering it is up there, I'll still get to talking and pull the rope out, only to hear the biners clink together.:rolleyes:

You and me both....we must need a "Memory Power" course...!!

Hey, want to buy 1000 feet of 1.75 mm Zing It? for about $90? Or any length? P/u at the conference...

Installation

Between the two which do you find easier to install in the crotch a rope saver or false crotch?

I like the 'biner Mtip best caus I can climb up to it and clip the rope on to it.

For a beginner who is not foot locking (FL) then maybe the leater sheath is easier, cuz you realy need a lot of trowline to get the Mtip in from the ground. The method in The Companion is good, I use a slightly different way, the few times I do it.

Once you get the DdRT FL down, then you'll never ascend on the loop unless you absolutely have to.

In Rogers Picture It either appears to be his Video Camera or a Skill Saw.:D

Hey DDM, yes it is my "skill" saw!!!

Well, I guess I do have some, but boy, what a lot of hard knocks on the way!!

Rich,

Depending on the tree and bark type, time of year, amount of rope running through the crotch, etc etc, damage does occur. I just was back in a silver poplar and saw our damage, not that that species can't handle it.

I am certainly not anal about their use, but now that they are available, I think we should use them as much as needed.

Once you get used to it it makes it so much more easy, then you start using the rope more doing things like a swinging decent into another stem...

Latest posts

Back