False Crotch vs. Rope Saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick

Yes. The Companion is not partial to either one and I was just curious on which tool everyone on this board would recommend.

I have the double ring friction saver and I`m very pleased with it.
I`m hunting for a leather rope saver for placing a rope around the strand and cable where I need to get close to where I`m working.
I have about 300m of cable up the north highway that`s filled with water and I want to punch a hole in the cable mid span and bleed the water out of it until I can get it replaced.
The cable runs along beside the highway over a boulder slope that runs down to the edge of Lake Superior.
Too far from the road for a bucket and the terrain is too rough for a ladder.
A friction saver will leave me too low from where I have to reach the cable.

Why not just throw a line over the strand, footlock up, then use a ringed saver to get down. Or fix a line, and use ascenders. Once you are up, two slings for your feet would provide three points for balance.

Or do you need the leather saver to protect the rope and/or cable/strand?

RB, The bend on the rope over the steel strand will be tight due to the small diameter of the strand and I thought it would be a little easier on the rope if I used the saver.
I have some leather here and I`ll likely make my own.
It will be a quick drt/footlock up to the cable and I`ll use a small punch 1/8" dia. similar to a cookie cutter and punch a hole in the bottom of the cable.
The only problem is doing this without getting any of this water on my equipment because its corrosive.
Not really tree related but it does involve climbing.

I'm starting to get a better understanding for the reasons for using both but I dont have it completely grasped. If someone could just break down the essentials of each tools use I think that would help me understand it the best.

The advantage of the hose is that it is a little easier to install and remove. The drawback is that you still have to pull it across what ever surface, so the reduction of friction is not as much.

With the Mtip, you have a consistant friction all the time, so you can get a little more creative in your climbing.

Then if you go with the Mtip that is made from 'biners then you can install it without feeding the entire rope through the device. This is good if you are tieing a clip to the rope end, or girth hitching a a clip to a splice.

Well that`s done!
Just made my leather rope saver.
5" of leather about 14" long hand stitched, took less than an hour and it`s exactly what I need.
Onward and upward ...

Back