Farmboss 290 vs 310 or 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIERCE4076

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'll be cutting firewood and could have logs anywhere from 12" to 36" but mostly up to 24". Will cut 4 to 5 cords per year. I'm buying a Stihl this week and I'm pretty sure I want a MS290 Farmboss with a 20 inch bar.

I'm also considering the MS390 for the extra power and ability to get more than a 20 in bar on it. From what I've been told by dealers and have read about the 310 and 390 they are both based on the 290 chasis, but the 390 has some extra features and certainly more power.

I also looked at the 361 for the anti vibration and the fact that it is professional grade and has that extra brake option.

Is the 361 going to last longer than a 290 and will I notice a difference in the vibration? Will I get alot more cutting performance out of the larger saws VS to the 290.

JOHN
Ps - I'm sure similar questions have been asked before. I just subscribed today and can't search the site yet.

PIERCE4076 said:
I'll be cutting firewood and could have logs anywhere from 12" to 36" but mostly up to 24". Will cut 4 to 5 cords per year. I'm buying a Stihl this week and I'm pretty sure I want a MS290 Farmboss with a 20 inch bar.

I'm also considering the MS390 for the extra power and ability to get more than a 20 in bar on it. From what I've been told by dealers and have read about the 310 and 390 they are both based on the 290 chasis, but the 390 has some extra features and certainly more power.

I also looked at the 361 for the anti vibration, the fact that it is professional grade and has that extra brake option.

Is the 361 going to last longer than a 290 and will I notice a difference in the vibration? Will I get alot more cutting performance out of the larger saws VS to the 290.

JOHN
Ps - I'm sure similar questions have been asked before. I just subscribed today and can't search the site yet.

Well lookie there, one of MY customers I deal with all the time not knowing what he wants here. My job to steer him right. Facts first then the good stuff you need to know. The 290,310,390 all are the same saw with the exception of price and power. Each one is a tad bigger than the other in the cylinder and the carbs to makem get up and go. The 290 however comes standard with a .325 bar and chain, the 310,390 are both standard full size 3/8 bars and chains. The 390 is the fastest of the three beings it has the most power output. Secondly the 290 is about to its max power with a 20in bar, the 310 will swollow a 24 fairly decent and the 390 has no problem at all with a 24in bar. All three will cut 4 or 5 cords a year with ease and alot more. Now comes the question. Do you care how fast you cut? If you don't and just want to cut some wood for the price the 290 is the best buy of the three. In fact of all the Stihl saws made the 290 is the most popular. Its their biggest bang for the buck. If you want to go out in the woods and play NASTREE(nascar) now you would want the 390 out of three. If you want that fullsize 3/8 bar and chain but not that price of the 390 then the 310 is the way to go. Its faster than the 290 and price wise its about on par as far as power and speed verses the buck on the 290. So the answer is how concerned are you about speed and power, they will all cut a 24in tree.
Looking at the 361 too huh. Why the big price you wondering, simple, its Pro. Pickem up and feel them, you will tell the differance right off. Its lighter in the hand, better balanced, more power than the other 3, has a metal housing, not plastic like the other three. Its thinner than the other three making it alot easier to use up in the limbs of the tree where you have to tuck it in while your moving through the limbing. Is it worth the differance in price, yes. Main reason why is comfort and yes its desinged to last longer than the other three engine wise and body wise. Metal is stronger than plastic. Is it worth a couple of hundred more than the 290, yes. Do you care about the the goodies and comfort and want to cut wood like the pro's do or do you just want to cut some wood. If ya do then the 361 is really what you want if money is not a issue. If you could care less about comfort and power or the 3/8 bar and chain then take the 290. If money is a issue and you still want that full size 3/8 chain and bar take the 310. Which one you want, I'm ready to go put it together and fire it up for you and show you everything you need to know before you leave the building. Still not sure, take ya time. Need to call the wife, go ahead, I won't listen while ya beg. (thats the first ly I've told, I will indeed listen,hehe). As you can see I've steer you away from the 390 because if your gonna buy the 390 you may as well go ahead and get the 361 and be much more happeir in the woods, the price isn't that much of a differance.

Thal, you didn't leave me anything to say!

...but absolutely, if you going for the 390, just get the 361... a world of difference in lifetime, serviceability, retention of value etc... I sell amost NO 390's for that very reason... the customer opts for the 290/310, or the 361. We don't even bother to stock the 390 anymore.

Lakeside and THALL,
does he really need a 20" bar???
For what he will do (about 5 cords and fairly small trees), 20" bar seems kind of big and unnecessarily bulky.
I just went through this same scenario and ended up buying a saw with a 16" bar because the feel was much better. The 290/310 will probably will have a little more torque also with the 16" bar/chain since the engine will be pushing a smaller chain, correct?

I used to think 'bigger bar=more power' until I was corrected.
Bigger bar=bigger trees you could cut, doesn't sound like PIERCE will be undersized for his applications with a 16" bar/chain plus he will have less weight, better manueverability and better balance.

JPP said:
Lakeside and THALL,
For what he will do (about 5 cords and fairly small trees), 20" bar seems kind of big and unnecessarily bulky.
I just went through this same scenario and ended up buying a saw with a 16" bar because the feel was much better. The 290/310 will probably will have a little more torque also with the 16" bar/chain since the engine will be pushing a smaller chain, correct?

I used to think 'bigger bar=more power' until I was corrected.
Bigger bar=bigger trees you could cut, doesn't sound like PIERCE will be undersized for his applications with a 16" bar/chain plus he will have less weight, better manueverability and better balance.

JPP you are right to a degree. This man is not sure of exactly what he wants so I merely give him the standard 20 inch which is good for all around cutting and lot less bending over on small stuff. Should he decide the bar is too long we welcome him back. Should he decide it isn't long enough we welcome him back. I for one don't want to sell him just one thing and never see him again. I want to get to know him and hopefully see him over in the grocery store sometime and say hey Bob how ya doing, how ya like the saw. Thats when I find out whether the bar suits him or not.

Lakeside53 said:
Thal, you didn't leave me anything to say!

...but absolutely, if you going for the 390, just get the 361... a world of difference in lifetime, serviceability, retention of value etc... I sell amost NO 390's for that very reason... the customer opts for the 290/310, or the 361. We don't even bother to stock the 390 anymore.

Sorry about that Lake. Hey I did however talk to that man about that 064 last nite. Its coming your way. See I sent you some business so don't smack me too hard for trying to get all the sales:)

12"-36", usually around 24". I think you should look into a used saw on this site. A few days ago a Husky 272XP was being sold for $190 by a reputable person. A 272XP will blow away anything you guys have been talking about, under $200, only cut a few cords a year?, probably do for years and years.

clearance said:
12"-36", usually around 24". I think you should look into a used saw on this site. A few days ago a Husky 272XP was being sold for $190 by a reputable person. A 272XP will blow away anything you guys have been talking about, under $200, only cut a few cords a year?, probably do for years and years.

hahahaha, god I love this. Clearance and your blow away saw. The man said he was going to buy a "new" Stihl this week. He never said he was interested in a used saw or a Husky period. The blow away remark just cost you a sale. Reminds me of a day three young guys walked in the door and wanted a TS400 concrete saw. I got it out and set it on the counter and said there she is. One of the guys said you know the filter system in that saw sucks. I said is that right. The other guy said yep and the Husky saw will BLOW IT away. I said hmmm is that right. The third guy said yep and Husky will last longer too. They were dead serious and I said well if all that is true why do you want to buy this Stihl. They all busted out laffing. They just came from a Husky dealer in the next county that fed then all the hoop la Blow Away, my saw is better than theirs bullsh-t. They went on to tell me the guy downed Stihl so much and so hard and bragged on his so much they had to walk out. Guess what concrete they bought, hmmmmmmmmmmmm. They sure do love the TS400 that has that poor filter system, got blowed away by Husky and won't last as long.

If money is not a problem, go with the MS 361.
I had an 036 PRo and a MS 361, both VERY good saws.

Thall, a 272XP will blow away that new little stuff, I would also say yes to an old 034 or 038mag. As far as concrete saws (properly called cut-off saws), have you ever used one? Cutting concrete, rebar or pipe all day, or are you just a sell it, couldn't use it to save your life kind of guy or what? I have used cut-off saws a lot, the Stihl 350s I used are great, also used a Husky cut-off saw, not as good, so what. A salesman...hmmm

clearance said:
Thall, a 272XP will blow away that new little stuff, I would also say yes to an old 034 or 038mag. As far as concrete saws (properly called cut-off saws), have you ever used one? Cutting concrete, rebar or pipe all day, or are you just a sell it, couldn't use it to save your life kind of guy or what? I have used cut-off saws a lot, the Stihl 350s I used are great, also used a Husky cut-off saw, not as good, so what. A salesman...hmmm

Clearance what you should say yes to is a pair of glasses. The man said he was going to buy what, look close, A NEW SAW, NOT A USED ONE. He said he was going to buy ,look close now, A STIHL, NOT A HUSKY.
Yes I've used a concrete saws or as you perfer to say a cut-off saw and no I just didn't just sell those guys that saw , your blow away Husky dealer sold it for me. For you info Clearance we sell about 14 MILES of rebar a year. Thats around 78,000 feet of it so yes I know what rebar is. The Stihl 350 is history by the way. I wasn't mocking you on your chocie of saws, I was showing you how some customers don't go for the IT WILL BLOW IT AWAY non-sense. Those guys were a prime example of dont give me a bunch of bullsh-t, I'm here to buy a saw.
By the way if you liked the TS350 you would love the TS400. They got a deal going on now where if you buy one you get a free diamond wheel. See Clearance I didn't say it would blow your saw away. The day I see one saw blow another one away I'll call the manufacture and tell them its too light, needs more weight.

PIERCE4076

Welcome to the site!

If it wasen't a money thing, the 361 would be just the ticket!

If you did search of the treads, you would find that there are some that think the 290 is a little weak, and some that think it's very "ok".

Most will say that there 310 and 390 are a very good buy, me included.

Here is an MS-310 running 36" of RSLKF (Stihl's full-skip L or square ground)

It's no were near making a sales pitch for the 310 running that much bar, but it gets-r-done.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8558195842901796/ms31036a_01/

Kevin

For what this guy wants to do I would think it would be a good idea to find a brand of saw that has the least amount of model specific rubber parts that are goint to rot away; intake boot vs. carb mounted to cylinder, special molded lines vs. nipping so much off of an in stock roll, spring instead of rubber antivibe mounts. I say this because I just revived a 028 for a fellow that looked like it had little use and we got fleeced for parts. Why on earth does an intake boot have to cost $27.80 for a Stihl and Poulan can sell theirs for the 335 for $10.11? Things like this should be kept in mind if you want to keep it forever.

Why, Marco? cause thats how saleman make thier jake, selling parts for crazy prices, a better mark up than drug dealers. Yes, Thall, I have used a 400 cut-off saw, just not enough to comment on it. And I just suggested a used saw, something to consider, I remember the old Husky saws, 266XP, 288XP, they quit making them cause they were so good and reliable, kinda like the Ford 300cid 6cyl and million other things that are now a pale imitation, of course great for the parts industry.

Marco said:
For what this guy wants to do I would think it would be a good idea to find a brand of saw that has the least amount of model specific rubber parts that are goint to rot away; intake boot vs. carb mounted to cylinder, special molded lines vs. nipping so much off of an in stock roll, spring instead of rubber antivibe mounts. I say this because I just revived a 028 for a fellow that looked like it had little use and we got fleeced for parts. Why on earth does an intake boot have to cost $27.80 for a Stihl and Poulan can sell theirs for the 335 for $10.11? Things like this should be kept in mind if you want to keep it forever.

Interesting point but to me if I had a saw for 20 years, like that 028 has to be, seems 75-80.00 to put it back in shape after 20 years would be no big issue to handle. I'll be the first to admit Stihl parts are high, no arguing that at all but they are even higher for models they no longer make. The older the unit the more costly they get. I about drop dead yesterday when I priced a tank housing for a 038mag. The guy had run over it with his tractor. Dayumm near 200 bucks. When I told him the price of the parts his reply was "fix it, its been a great saw".

JPP said:
Lakeside and THALL,

Only if you keep your saw kit in a purse and bring your poodle along to get wood.

Dunno about anyone else, but I hate double cutting.

I don't think that 24" and 36" trees are all that "fairly small" either.

clearance said:
Why, Marco? cause thats how saleman make thier jake, selling parts for crazy prices, a better mark up than drug dealers. Yes, Thall, I have used a 400 cut-off saw, just not enough to comment on it. And I just suggested a used saw, something to consider, I remember the old Husky saws, 266XP, 288XP, they quit making them cause they were so good and reliable, kinda like the Ford 300cid 6cyl and million other things that are now a pale imitation, of course great for the parts industry.

Clearance excuse me for reading what he said. I'm sure if he was considering a used saw he might have said so. Thats water over the dayumm and your suggestion of a used saw is fine. I merely went by what the man said. This thing about used saws is fine except for one thing your forgetting. Alot of people do not want to buy somebody elses problem or go by what some guy tells them, warranty means alot to some people. When you buy new at least you get a warranty and something new. When you buy used your on your own. I got a used 066 mag I'll sell you for 1 penny Clearance and I'll tell you up front its completely wore out, isn't worth 2 cents, you want it. Someone else will tell you hey its a 066 mag, wow. Well this one is pure junk and I wouldn't sell it to you or anyone else. Used is fine if you know the man that had it and used it. If you don't beware...............

Tek9, Thall is a salesman, probably has a hard time falling out of bed, never mind falling a tree. Guy wouldn't answer my question about if he had ever used a cut-off saw, just said he sells rebar, doubt if he ever packed tons of it on his shoulders, shook it out on a deck and tied it either. Desk jockey, sunday driver yeah.

clearance said:
Tek9, Thall is a salesman, probably has a hard time falling out of bed, never mind falling a tree. Guy wouldn't answer my question about if he had ever used a cut-off saw, just said he sells rebar, doubt if he ever packed tons of it on his shoulders, shook it out on a deck and tied it either. Desk jockey, sunday driver yeah.

Clearance the grandbaby just came in the house here but before I go play with him I think its time I break it off in your winy a--. First off if you would just get them glasses like I told ya and look back up the posts you will see I did tell you I have indeed run conrete saws, oh excuse me, cut-off saws in your neck of the woods. Around here we callem concrete saws so live with it. Secondly I've run em all, apparently you haven't. The TS400,350,510,460, and the newTS70, I've run every one of them so put that in ya pipe and smoke it. Far as rebar goes have you ever seen 78,000 feet of rebar, proby not. Now Clearance now that you have been properly BLOWED AWAY grow up will ya. When and if ya do come on by the shop and we'll talk saws. Deal? You are correct on one thing , yes I'm a salesman and I will sell to you as well as anyone else even if you are full of bull, if your a customer your a friend of mine. Gotta go play with the grandson Clearance. Grow up and go play with yours too and you and me will get along just fine.

Back