FarmerTec Holzfforma G660 Purple Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I’m retiring to my lake/woodland retreat and I’ve been looking at the G660 with a 28” and 20” bars. My little Poulan 14” finally crapped on me and I’m looking to upgrade to a bigger saw. The Poulan was used for small trees and limbs. I have 12-18” oaks and cedar trees in my back 40 that I want to cut for firewood. I have a couple of 20-24”fallen trees that I want to cute up as well. I am on a budget SO a Stihl is out of the picture as are probably Husky’s. Watching the videos on the G660 does look impressive. If I get the assembled G660 and bars, what other parts should I get before I begin to cut. Yes I know it will weight over 20 pounds. I am 5,5 and weight about 150, but I’m retired Army and used to heaving around heavy equipment. Other suggestions besides the 660?

Thanks

Ok. I’m retiring to my lake/woodland retreat and I’ve been looking at the G660 with a 28” and 20” bars. My little Poulan 14” finally crapped on me and I’m looking to upgrade to a bigger saw. The Poulan was used for small trees and limbs. I have 12-18” oaks and cedar trees in my back 40 that I want to cut for firewood. I have a couple of 20-24”fallen trees that I want to cute up as well. I am on a budget for a Stihl is out of the picture as are probably Husky’s. Watching the videos on the G660 does look impressive. If I get the assembles G660 and bars, what other parts should I get before I begin to cut. Yes I know it will weight over 20 pounds. I am 5,5 and weight about 150, but I’m retired Army and used to heavy around heavy equipment. Other suggestions besides the 660?

Thanks
This would do fine. If you run into a problem you can use the build videos I made to help you fix it. You will be hard pressed to find anyone to work on it.

I would replace the rope rotor.

I have the 388 and it ran, cut good. It would not turn off and with the holidays I have not messed with it. Likely something simple.

A 20" bar on a 660 92cc I always thought was a waste. Not so on the 388 thats if it's got a 72cc engine a longer bar would work great. I would choose according to bar size or just what you feel like buying.

If you can wait I will check out the 388 and if it needs something I will tell ya. Raining here like crazy. Couple days maybe drier

http://thechainsawkitguy.com
https://www.youtube.com/the1chainsawguy
O

Th
This would do fine. If you run into a problem you can use the build videos I made to help you fix it. You will be hard pressed to find anyone to work on it.

I would replace the rope rotor.

I have the 388 and it ran, cut good. It would not turn off and with the holidays I have not messed with it. Likely something simple.

A 20" bar on a 660 92cc I always thought was a waste. Not so on the 388 thats if it's got a 72cc engine a longer bar would work great. I would choose according to bar size or just what you feel like buying.

If you can wait I will check out the 388 and if it needs something I will tell ya. Raining here like crazy. Couple days maybe drier

http://thechainsawkitguy.com
https://www.youtube.com/the1chainsawguy
O
thanks for the reply. My main concern is do I need a saw that big or can I do with something smaller. I won’t be making any purchases for a couple of weeks. Oh by the way it should have said 25” and 28” bar.

I don’t know why you’d want a 20” bar on a saw this size. A 28” bar and a .404 chain will make better use of the power in that 92cc motor. For a 20” bar I’d be looking at a 50-70cc saw, depending on whether you want it light or powerful. A 90cc saw and a 20” bar isn’t going to cut much faster, but might kickback harder.

I don’t know why you’d want a 20” bar on a saw this size. A 28” bar and a .404 chain will make better use of the power in that 92cc motor. For a 20” bar I’d be looking at a 50-70cc saw, depending on whether you want it light or powerful. A 90cc saw and a 20” bar isn’t going to cut much faster, but might kickback harder.
As I posted earlier it was a mistype. It was supposed to say 25 and 28”

Ok. I’m retiring to my lake/woodland retreat and I’ve been looking at the G660 with a 28” and 20” bars. My little Poulan 14” finally crapped on me and I’m looking to upgrade to a bigger saw. The Poulan was used for small trees and limbs. I have 12-18” oaks and cedar trees in my back 40 that I want to cut for firewood. I have a couple of 20-24”fallen trees that I want to cute up as well. I am on a budget SO a Stihl is out of the picture as are probably Husky’s. Watching the videos on the G660 does look impressive. If I get the assembled G660 and bars, what other parts should I get before I begin to cut. Yes I know it will weight over 20 pounds. I am 5,5 and weight about 150, but I’m retired Army and used to heaving around heavy equipment. Other suggestions besides the 660?

No way I would get a 660 for my one and only saw. Get something in the 60-70CC range and go back to a 20 inch and a 28 inch bar. Probably never need the 28 inch bar with what you describe. Unless you're cutting every day, or munching on logs with a milling machine, what you describe deserves a much handier saw. An 038 or a 440. Even drop down to the excellent 361. All mongo firewood saws for older models. The 660 is a beast for sure, but more than needed for firewooding.

No way I would get a 660 for my one and only saw. Get something in the 60-70CC range and go back to a 20 inch and a 28 inch bar. Probably never need the 28 inch bar with what you describe. Unless you're cutting every day, or munching on logs with a milling machine, what you describe deserves a much handier saw. An 038 or a 440. Even drop down to the excellent 361. All mongo firewood saws for older models. The 660 is a beast for sure, but more than needed for firewooding.
Sadly even used Stihls are out of my price tag and I don’t have the time to repair or rebuild. Hence, my Poulan is still in pieces on my work bench. But I agreee the 660 may be more than I need at the moment.

Ok
Sadly even used Stihls are out of my price tag and I don’t have the time to repair or rebuild. Hence, my Poulan is still in pieces on my work bench. But I agreee the 660 may be more than I need at the moment.
I went to look at a reconditioned Husky 450 at Northern Tools. Yes the price was right, especially after my mil discount, however it looked really used. So I’m going new. Narrowed my choices to one of the following 3 with a 20” bar. 1. Husky 450. 2. Poulan PR5020 (yes I know Husky makes it) and an Echo CS490/590. My budget is 400 or less, preferable less. Yes Stihl has the MS271, but that’s over my limit barely. You guys are the experts. Talk me into and or out of the 3-4 I just mentioned. This saw will not be used on a daily basis.

Don't rule out a kit saw. I can recommend the MS361 or the 372XP model. Both great designs. A used OEM version of either may be even better. I have a couple of the 361s and one of the 660 kit saws. Also a couple OEM Huskys and an OEM MS440. I love using the 361 more than any of them for general purpose work. I stuck a lightweight 20 inch bar on it with the new Oregon LPX chain. Very well balanced horsepower.

ms361.jpg

Don't rule out a kit saw. I can recommend the MS361 or the 372XP model. Both great designs. A used OEM version of either may be even better. I have a couple of the 361s and one of the 660 kit saws. Also a couple OEM Huskys and an OEM MS440. I love using the 361 more than any of them for general purpose work. I stuck a lightweight 20 inch bar on it with the new Oregon LPX chain. Very well balanced horsepower.
I work full time and do not have anytime to build a kit saw. This is currently my vaca property but will be moving there full time in two years. I need access to a saw now that is reliable and able to cut the trees and wood as described above. Once I fully retire a kit saw makes more sense. But thank you for your advise. The G660 will be a buy in the future.

Ok

I went to look at a reconditioned Husky 450 at Northern Tools. Yes the price was right, especially after my mil discount, however it looked really used. So I’m going new. Narrowed my choices to one of the following 3 with a 20” bar. 1. Husky 450. 2. Poulan PR5020 (yes I know Husky makes it) and an Echo CS490/590. My budget is 400 or less, preferable less. Yes Stihl has the MS271, but that’s over my limit barely. You guys are the experts. Talk me into and or out of the 3-4 I just mentioned. This saw will not be used on a daily basis.
Echo 490/590 is the only way to go of the ones you listed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ok

And why?
The husky/ poulan saws you listed are clamshell, plastic case homeowner saws. A new 450 is $300. If you look on eBay you can get a new echo 490 for way less than that. The 490 is a magnesium crank case professional class saw. I have seen them for less than $250 shipped. The 490/590 is a solid reliable saw that will last a very long time.

The husky/ poulan saws you listed are clamshell, plastic case homeowner saws. A new 450 is $300. If you look on eBay you can get a new echo 490 for way less than that. The 490 is a magnesium crank case professional class saw. I have seen them for less than $250 shipped. The 490/590 is a solid reliable saw that will last a very long time.

Thank you that’s what I want to know. I want a saw that I can buy for know out the the box be a workhorse and last with minimal mods to it. Then later in two years any option is open.

Thank you that’s what I want to know. I want a saw that I can buy for know out the the box be a workhorse and last with minimal mods to it. Then later in two years any option is open.
Now the hard part; deciding which saw to buy. I have saws in the range of the 490/590; my first thought is go with the 490 first. Let us know what you decide to do. Thank you for your service.

My brother in law bought a 590 in 1986 used it for firewood for 30 years then gave it to his son, still runs.

Latest posts

Back