FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I was concerned about that. Do you have suggestions for how to support the crank in the middle?

Also, I tried to install the chain tensioner parts last night. The drive gear (with the flat screwdriver slot) will not fit in the case. The OD of the gear is too large for the recess for it in the case. Should I dremel out the recess in the case, or buy another tensioner parts pack and hope a different pack comes with a smaller gear? I know this issue has been discussed somewhere in the 660 build threads, but now I can't seem to find it.

I started assembling my ms660 kit last night. =) Using all farmertec parts from the kit. No "upgrades" at this point.

Crank case halves in the oven at 245 degrees for 20 minutes. Crank in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Used the supplied crank case gasket, with no silicone or anything on it.
Put flywheel side of the case on the crank shaft first. It slid together like butter, by hand. No tools required. I worked quick though. Assembled within 10 seconds of removing from oven/freezer. I then set it on blocks, put the gasket in place, and got the pto side of the crank case out of the freezer. It was around the 45 second mark I think when I slid it on. It had some resistance and bound up tighter than I could press on by hand. I tapped on the top of the case with a rubber mallet to get it together. The case finally snapped together around the 1 minute mark, but it pushed the PTO side bearing most of the way out of the crank case. I then used a heat gun and laser thermometer to heat the case around the bearing to about 200 degrees, braced the assembly on the flywheel side crank shaft, and used a large socket and rubber mallet to pound on the outer race of the bearing and was able to get it seated down to where it should be with about 5 hits.

Note: If I do another kit, I am going to leave the case halves in the oven for 25-30 minutes, and freeze the crank for 5+ hours. With a slightly better temperature differential, I think both halves would have slid together by hand.

Test fit piston and cylinder before installing rings and 1184 to base. First, the cylinder contacted the side of the crank case so I had to fix that with a dremel as was illustrated on this thread a few pages back. After the cylinder was sitting flush on the crank case seating surface, I checked squish. Without the supplied 0.022" thick base gasket, the piston contacted the top of the cylinder. (enough that I couldn't rotate it through by hand) This was with cylinder bolts tightened. I then installed the base gasket and checked again. It rotated freely. Checked squish with solder through the spark plug hole, it measured 0.028". So the spot that I measured isn't the lowest spot....but it does rotate freely.

I then installed rings, and put 1184 below and above the base gasket and got the cylinder torqued down. Then backed cylinder bolts out one at a time and applied blue lock-tite and reinstalled.
You work faster than me, lol. did you put oil on the bearing and crank? I agree it takes a few hours to get the crank cold, but 30 mins is plenty for the case halves. had no problem going slower than you, couple wacks of the deal blow and it was done. oil is necessary tho

Yeah I was concerned about that. Do you have suggestions for how to support the crank in the middle?

Also, I tried to install the chain tensioner parts last night. The drive gear (with the flat screwdriver slot) will not fit in the case. The OD of the gear is too large for the recess for it in the case. Should I dremel out the recess in the case, or buy another tensioner parts pack and hope a different pack comes with a smaller gear? I know this issue has been discussed somewhere in the 660 build threads, but now I can't seem to find it.
I think you're installing it incorrectly. check out post 1088 for a cool upgrade to the chain tensioner. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/huztl-ms660.300307/page-55

I worked slower on the ms440 kit and had resistance on both sides. After watching a video on youtube where the case halves went together by hand with no tools after heating/freezing, I resolved to do it FAST on the 660 kit. I took a few minutes to get everything laid out before hand beside the oven and freezer so it was ready to go.

Yes, I did oil the crank shaft prior to freezing. I did not add oil to the bearings in the crank case halves.

I use feeler gauges until they just fit snug. I have no advise on your chain tensioner.

Photo of the gear that doesn't fit. It is finger-tight wedged in there. Can't get it down any further by hand. I had the same problem with the MS440 kit and I ordered a new chain tentioner assembly from ebay for about $10, and the new one fit just fine.

Wondering if I should do the same for this one? Or use a dremel to make more clearance for the supplied gear.

Attachments

• ms660 tensioner gear.jpg
    ms660 tensioner gear.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
Photo of the gear that doesn't fit. It is finger-tight wedged in there. Can't get it down any further by hand. I had the same problem with the MS440 kit and I ordered a new chain tentioner assembly from ebay for about $10, and the new one fit just fine.

Wondering if I should do the same for this one? Or use a dremel to make more clearance for the supplied gear.
Wow mine was a tight fit but yours is very bad I would go ahead and get yourself another one before doing any modification I will tell you how to modify the new gear if it is tight to but not as bad as the one you have.

Many people recommend using the oil pump as a backing to seat the pto bearing against when assembling the crank cases. I didn't though because I didn't know if I the oil pump assembly would be damaged by being baked in the oven with the crank case, and I didn't want to take the time to install it after pulling the case out of the oven because I'd be losing heat. I was really going for speed on this attempt.

What do you guys do?

The oil pump is used as a stop on 440/460. It is NOT used as a stop on a 660. If you need a service manual, just ask.

Many people recommend using the oil pump as a backing to seat the pto bearing against when assembling the crank cases. I didn't though because I didn't know if I the oil pump assembly would be damaged by being baked in the oven with the crank case, and I didn't want to take the time to install it after pulling the case out of the oven because I'd be losing heat. I was really going for speed on this attempt. What do you guys do?

Here is a stop made from a washer and using the oil pump bolts to hold it in place.

Outside . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Inside
1521691961598_IMG_20180321_225424_910.jpg 1521692052181_IMG_20180321_225336_463.jpg

The case is an 026, but same principle. Also, this case assembly can be done without heat, freezing, presses, or hammers, using cheap homemade tools. But that's the subject of another post.

I had a new one today, flywheel was making contact with the cylinder. It was a cross cylinder and all I had to do was grind off the “cross” logo. The flywheel didn’t appear to be off axis but it only touched in a small spot as I turned. Has anybody else encountered that?

My first kit has plenty of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new one today, flywheel was making contact with the cylinder. It was a cross cylinder and all I had to do was grind off the “cross” logo. The flywheel didn’t appear to be off axis but it only touched in a small spot as I turned. Has anybody else encountered that?

My first kit has plenty of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not with the farmertec cylinder but they do have clearance problems with the case. I'm staying away from the cross cylinders because people have had lots of problems with them. And just as a friendly note it's not Master Minds fault he's not the one who is making them he's the one who gave cross the molds for the ports. :drinkingcoffee:

Hi guys, another question for ya, haha.
I put an AM big bore on this one. When the piston is at TDC I can see into the crankcase...i dont remember seeing this on the standard one, but idk. I put the metal gasket on and cylinder was pointing the right way. and i put too much sealer on i guess...
Is this ok?
yPtL-swYtjdc5CKWJ4fCutyYFo4aR3FHFels2XIbblfSBt7zL9Lw_lh40ezgT1SGOyM29axEScj7gYMeLaZMJWXJBjRfTMOLGwll9HqN7lQgGPntojvZXXwL8kSBHLmLyLDi1mdkDVFqKcUnQy7epwzCF2jExsXc7Wjplz40J4f6A1hOP6J8mvbdggzuCKuS1XNAnA20Dn1XxiIS8st_i9GelzNp84Y4LQ5jhcMmDZ2wfWVWk1jFwx2fzUUXsEfJv-HSQkTinAbKJy7hRVfp4XOjhDJ9jCQ-TxKNasZA7el1D5QG2pqUqEeJMYrBNjrJstfygslSq2W3djMdp8kbjq4JI-W60z24f6ZBZykJi3kzm7rk1yva8V8gabPxJG7vJC7aBXd4XnSBa5Vn-bdlTxn1pc64Xolxd_5i_OgdsHorosvi-OonwbCSgc6VyWYFlc4LjJg4pRHz49zIs6TdhYbXflXCdyOVN68MJoSeR2IDLTlfCIORr2rGlAnuEA2tMoupUc2J1zEHBWovpElGKf8wgK58R0W_0UZJTs7oJpew4Hjt4Ys1oT5NkniwREowMiOqGc6sb7zRqBUKaoaYNswSORjwJivTTw_DXDM=w441-h588-no

Hi guys, another question for ya, haha.
I put an AM big bore on this one. When the piston is at TDC I can see into the crankcase...i dont remember seeing this on the standard one, but idk. I put the metal gasket on and cylinder was pointing the right way. and i put too much sealer on i guess...
Is this ok?
yPtL-swYtjdc5CKWJ4fCutyYFo4aR3FHFels2XIbblfSBt7zL9Lw_lh40ezgT1SGOyM29axEScj7gYMeLaZMJWXJBjRfTMOLGwll9HqN7lQgGPntojvZXXwL8kSBHLmLyLDi1mdkDVFqKcUnQy7epwzCF2jExsXc7Wjplz40J4f6A1hOP6J8mvbdggzuCKuS1XNAnA20Dn1XxiIS8st_i9GelzNp84Y4LQ5jhcMmDZ2wfWVWk1jFwx2fzUUXsEfJv-HSQkTinAbKJy7hRVfp4XOjhDJ9jCQ-TxKNasZA7el1D5QG2pqUqEeJMYrBNjrJstfygslSq2W3djMdp8kbjq4JI-W60z24f6ZBZykJi3kzm7rk1yva8V8gabPxJG7vJC7aBXd4XnSBa5Vn-bdlTxn1pc64Xolxd_5i_OgdsHorosvi-OonwbCSgc6VyWYFlc4LjJg4pRHz49zIs6TdhYbXflXCdyOVN68MJoSeR2IDLTlfCIORr2rGlAnuEA2tMoupUc2J1zEHBWovpElGKf8wgK58R0W_0UZJTs7oJpew4Hjt4Ys1oT5NkniwREowMiOqGc6sb7zRqBUKaoaYNswSORjwJivTTw_DXDM=w441-h588-no
Um no that's why to much free port. I'd be getting a different one.

Um no that's why to much free port. I'd be getting a different one.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Pissed I paid extra for that. Guess I'll use the one that came with it. Probably can't reuse that gasket, to gonna have to get another one.
When you use use a big bore kit, everything is the same except the cylinder, rings and piston, right? Is there something I'm missing or is this piston just wrong? Pissed I gotta take it apart...pain getting those circ clips off. I bought oem clips to. Can I reuse them? Or should you toss them when you remove them?

Latest posts

Back