father in laws advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
father in law told me i was wasting my time filing on fill ups slightly, but yet he jumps up and down on his saw to make it cut, trust me it is the ugliest thing you have ever seen.
question is, is just a few file strokewithery tank killing my chain, or should i also lean my 240# frame aginst a poor defensless saw to make it cut.
this was posted in fun but really this is a common misconception i have seen all around here.
i have been in automotive repait for almost 20 years,i love to see equipment work. i hate to have to force it to work.
it is so bad when he cuts wood, the ends are black. but if it makes him happy it isa jonsered so let him kill it.
he is also the one calling stihls junk when i quit cuting when my chain got dull. when the saw dust starts your just abusing the machine.
hell if it makes him happy, i guess ill just let him run with it..

You should adjust the depth gauges along with the cutter teeth when you file a chain, otherwise you're just wasting time. my chains feed by themselves, because the cutter is sharp, and the depth gauges are adjusted properly as well. you shouldnt have to lean on a saw to make it cut, ever. if the ends of the wood are black the chain is REALLY REALLY dull, or on backwards.

let me be clear

a few quick file storkes in the woods, unless i hit something special, nail, fencepost, etc. i do file the depth guages when i do the thorough sharpening usually that evening before the next trip. i just posted this for him, since he said i was crazy for doing it. so he could see what people who work real stuff do when they saw.
i love to see my saw work its was so slick through a piece of wood. it down right, well it is almost sexy i guess..

Every fill-up as a matter of course may be a little excessive but otherwise I concur.  Throwing dust is counterproductive for several reasons.

If you are using full chisel chain, it is not uncommon to need a slight touch up with every tank, especially if there is ANY dirt, and I mean ANY AT ALL. If you were running semi-chisel, you might get away with longer intervals between sharpening. If it is not sharp, by all means sharpen it! See who's saw lasts longer, yours or your father-in-laws.

check this out

i got this term from when i drag raced, and it fits real well here. he burn saw down, i mean down to junk. blue bars, sounds like something that cannot be too good.
all seriousness aside, as usual. he is really something to watch. hit it hard, overload the clutch, back off for a second, hit it even harder.
you guys are great, this is fun...thanks....

could be soninlaw is smarter than fatherinlaw..some folks just never learn to use the ole noodle to good.. jmo

I always filed every tank whether it needed it or not when I used round ground chisel, but ever so gently. This is how I learned the 90 second tickle. Filing should be an enjoyable experience, not something that is put off.
Tell your fatherinlaw you don't see a butcher using an axe to quarter a beef, and tell him that if a saw meant to be rode it would come with a saddle. LOL
John

He'd probably have it easier with a good set of bucking spikes, if you could find an old Remington saw it would be better. The powerheads where rather long so once he'd get the spikes dug in he'd have some leverage.............................

I did this to a friend that questioned why the chain should be sharp?!!!
I did not argue much I just got up (not to close) beside him and held my sawin rear handle and it cut by its own weight, he stopped sawing and left the wood pile.

30 min later he came back wit a new chain and started to file every tank!!

I have changed many anti vibs at his saw prior this event.

Gypo is correct, filing is fun if done correct.

pushing it

If he has to push it to get it through the wood he needs you to touch up the chain. Aside from that, a lot of saw owners never learn how to use a saw properly. They never catch on that a light touch (saw's rpms stays in the power band) cuts faster than a heavy push (nearly stalls the saw from trying to grab too much at once). You can hand them a brand new power ported saw and they still push/lean into it like they they were using their old saw with a dull chain. Their time through a cut is twice what yours is even with your saw in their hands. It's all in how you handle the saw, your style of cutting. It's very difficult to get them to break their old habits and lighten up when they cut. Their sweating just from the pushing they put on the saw. I still get a laugh out of the time I handed Bob my ported saw to let him try a cut or two with it. He steps up to the tree like he always does and goes to make his notch. He did heed my words on starting the chain moving before you touch wood. He then leans on the saw just like he had his own saw in his hands. Zip, in the blink of an eye he pushed the saw clear through the tree and he's standing there with this look of horror in his face, he doesn't know which way to run. The saw went cleanly through the tree and it's standing on the stump. Luckily the tree fell away from him but for a momnent there you could hear him load his pants trying to decide which way to run. Or the guy next door, driving me crazy with fifteen minutes of revs up and down, trying to saw through his Yews to remove them and just making smoke. I went out and told him to just give me the saw for a few miniutes and I'd sharpen it for him. Ten miniutes later I hand him the saw back and he goes for Yew bushes again. This time, he leans into it with all his weight, just like he was before the quick touch up on the chain. The saw rips through about 15 branches (1" branches) and he goes ass over tin cups into the yard. The saw is buried full bar into the dirt and he's laying flat on his back after taking a flip into the yard as he was burying the saw into the dirt. It takes a light touch, NOT a heavy push!
A quick touch up after every tank of fuel will let your saw and chain last longer and it's a good thing. Burning your way through the wood with a heavy push is not. Short of racing where you're trying to knock a hundreth of a second off your cut time you DO NOT need to push/lean into the saw to cut well with it, nine times out of ten the chain needs a quick touch up. One other one comes to mind and I got it on film. The guy, with his little red Craftsman saw trying to down a cherry tree that had dropped a limb through the windshield of his wife's car. Smoke going everywhere and the saw going nowhere. After he went through 2 tanks of gas, and was on the way through his third, I asked him to take a break and I'd file the chain for him. The first two tanks got the notch done but the back cut wasn't happening. He was straining to get the saw through the backcut and it would not go. His style of cutting was push for all your worth and it'll go over. The saw was wheezing from the load on it. A good filing while he takes a break and back to the tree he goes. 20 seconds later the tree goes over. Sharpen the chain for your Father-in-law and good luck trying to get him to change his cutting style. I don't see it happening. He may not be able to change at this late date, bad habit used too long is very tough to break.The people depicted in these stories are real and any resemblance to homeowners is intentional. They are all characters in their own right but need help with their cutting style ( push for all you're worth) and chain sharpening technique (It ain't dull yet, See it's still cutting, difficult to see through the smoke though).

Last edited:
A saw mechanics dream to assist early retirement which shop does he buy his bars and chain from as i'll have to buy shares in it it's going to be worth a fortune.

That father in law of yours shouldn't have a saw he'd be better off with a blunt axe and proberly quicker.

Mc Bob.
He won't be borrowing my saws ever.

i do not really have a set pattern for when i sharpen. when the saw starts to slow down in the wood i hit it with a file. as far as the rake, when the cutter is at peak proformance and the saw is still slow, i take the rake down. 30 to 35 thousands is good but i do mine by eye and don't have any problems. they average about 35.
dull chains produce dust not chips. dust floats in the air longer and is sucked up by the saw. this is where things get plugged. chips are heavier and fall to the ground faster. dull chains increase the risk of injury. operators have enough to deal with, why add fighting the saw?
marty

Last edited:
Nice stories g.f.!! And thanks for all the input fellas. Really has taught me a lot about chainsaws without near the hours of experience you all have on them.

These stories remind me of seeing my own father run his older 257 Husky and then borrow my 346 with the same cutting style. I constantly remind him to let the saw do the work or in his words and I quote, "You're making to much work out of it."

Never thought of that. With the minimal cutting I do with the top of the bar the chain should be a lot sharper on that side. Thanks Mike! ;)

Back