Favorite kind of wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Junkie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What kind of wood do you find the best? Some like cherry due to its fast seasoning and easy splitting, standing dead elm for its hardness and long burn....(as long as your not splitting it!)....And of course the well seasoned oak........

I like the dead standing elm. Of course thats about we have here. If the bark is already off it isnt bad to split.

The best burning wood around here is Live Oak. It is also the hardest to turn into firewood. Tons of branches to deal with when cutting, few if any straight sections and stringy grain that loves to pinch bars. It's impossible to split when green and hard to split when dry. Every chunk has a crotch in it. It burns hot and long, I set some aside for the real cold days.

My favorite overall wood is White Oak. Easy to cut, not as many branches as Live Oak, easy to split, burns great. I can cut, split and stack a cord of White Oak in half the time as Live Oak.

There is nothing wrong with Pine. Cedar is a mess, sap all over the place; me, the saw, the truck. Yuk! :chainsaw:
Dok

I really like oak but have some eucalyptus that is good for the overnight burn.

As far as burning, oak is very "user friendly" whereas the eucalyptus really needs a good bed of coals to get it going (I bought it cut & split during the summer of '06 and it's a little better this year).

Although not much for burn time,I like some cottonwood in the pile. Hot burning with a nice looking blue flame. We have been mixing it in with some of the not so seasoned stuff to keep a happy medium. I have a standing dead apple in the back fence row. I was told it has a nice scent when burnt.....saving it for the holiday week end to put in the wood stove.

Boy where/how do I start.:dizzy:

This is the first year we've burned plenty of ash, half rotted stuff from doing cleanup in our woodlot, and I have to say it has really been doing a great job during the day.

Black locust/oak for nighttime, I'm lucky to get 1cord/year so I ration it.

The ash is nice, but the supply is about out.

Cherry/Silver Maple/Elm/Buckthorn is what I run into so I have to be happy with what comes along.

Free, easy, high btu's/volume is my favorite.:cheers:

Hey Ropensaddle, you a bowyer on top of everything else? Would really love to see your work!

For burning wood, I really like locust. Of course it is all free for the cutting, and only 1/4 mile away. Otherwise red oak is a favorite, followed by walnut.

Larry, how long do you season the Euc? My family has a house on the coast we can use on the weekends and there is a good supply of Euc firewood there. The first time I tried it was maybe 6mos after cutting and it was hard to get a burn. A year later and it is burning nicely! It does pop and crack a little when burning, but I'm impressed with it.
Brad

I do like Oak. Hickory is nice stuff. Definitely have a new appreciation for Beech. Just haven't used it until this year. Easy to split and burns hot for quite a while, with little draft. Good stuff.:clap:

with EAB problem here burning about all ash now in the OWB. Burns great green, splits easy, decent burn time. Oaks are great but no point in cutting them now that the ashs need removed. Only taking out the damaged oaks at this point.

Favorites include cherry,osage orange,black locust,ash,hackberry,and maybe a mulberry or two. Not sure if its for their individual characteristics or the fact that these species are the most abundant in this area :clap:

1. My wifes honey do list.
2. Agent orange - Osage
3. Locust - Black - Honey, yeah you got it.
4. Oak, prefer RED OAK, WHITE or PISS will do.
(Red is best!)
5. Pecan and hickory - but hard to get.

These are the one I get around here,

For fast cure and heat, I burn ASH or CHERRY.

That's INDIANA for ya.

Last edited:
Knotty Red & White oak and this Maple we are picking up, sometimes we burn a bit of pine to get things hot quick.

Back