Favorite lowering method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite way to lower?

• Butt Hitch w/ natural crotch

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Butt hitch w/ false crotch

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Swing

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Speed Line

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Interesting

i like not overloading the anchor, by using high friction, 0 shock, on a self tightenning rig; using the length between the hinge and hitch as a lever to self tighten the line drawing the limb around on the hinge until the hitchpoint is below the anchor point, then free the hinge. I use high friction because it provides less anchor/support load, and also isolates a shorter piece of line to pre-stretch as i hinge over; making that easier.

Then the lighter end becomes a ballast for the heavier end (green),and anything riding above the hitch is also 'free length' that doesn't effect the length from hitch to clearance of lower obstacles.

Nothing like ballet-ing out a long mass light as a butterfly in a self working machine you gradully allow to take the weight of the load, powering itself!

Tree Spyder,
Could you draw that possibly, it sounds great but I am having trouble seeing it in my mind at the moment....
Thanks in advance
Scrat

Tree Spyder,
Could you draw that possibly, it sounds great but I am having trouble seeing it in my mind at the moment....
Thanks in advance
Scrat

yeah TS, you had better draw it and I hope you are better at lowering branches than you are at using semi-colons and commas!:laugh:

Up Up and away!

I like the Heli Method of Tree Removal best - One cut and No Chipping.:laugh:

I am so with you on that GTO! A Big crane comes in second. Bombing them down is my first love though, I'll admit, with a precise cut to move it where you need it to go.

As a Master Rigger (parachute) technical rope work is the most satisfying challenge that tree work gives me, but I don't like to over complicate things needlessly. The big Cherry tree I finished up yesterday had it all.

The first challenge was to rig two blocks high in the canopy to spread the load, and then swinging the top limbs to clear a Maple below without damage. The customer commented that it took longer to set the rigging than it did to bring the tree down.

After that I was bombing big sections with rope attached to keep the trunk sections from getting away once they hit the ground, which was steeply sloped towards the house. One major lead, about 50' of it, was able to be bombed down over a fence line and into an uphill neighbor's backyard.

The second half of the big Cherry, and the most dangerous, was dropped with a cut about 30' up to fit it into the customer's backyard. After that it was laying down what was left of the twin trunks and cutting it up.

I'm really eyeing the GRCS as my next tool of the trade. I do have a motorized capstan wench that I use if I need to stand a limb up, but the GRCS seems to be the way to go.

By the way GTO I had the first GTO, a 1964 with Tri-Power and an M22 close ratio 4 speed. Bought it brand new and ordered it from the dealer with the best options available. Man did I love that car.

Back