favorite saws for felling hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
i don't like having to replace them that often, the mesh ones clean eiaser than the felt ones. i use a high pressure air hose to clean them. i seperate the halfs and blow them out at the end of every day:D

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ryan, get a 346 by all means. It is a much better saw than the 026. Filtration is many times better. Better yet, buy one directly from Dennis Greffard, have him modify it, naturally. The power gains will be 50% or more over stock. Mine is an insane little cutting machine!! I own several Stihl's, and am getting rid of them all but the 066 Magnum w/dual port muffler. Huskys are just plain better.

The 346 has a mesh filter. One of my 372's has a very unique platic looking filter, the other is felt. They stay maybe 10 times cleaner than stihl's, as the air injection catches all the big particles before they even get near the filter.

My favorite medium wood falling saw is my Walkerized 372. Want to buy it? I need a 372 by Yoda, aka Ken Dunn!!! I think it easily outcuts my 7.7 hp 066. For the big stuff, out comes the 3120 XP-G.

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
d@mned local dealers!!!!! trying to tell me that the msrp is $499us!!!! the lowest i could get them to go was $414:angry: and that guy was 17 miles away:angry:

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rob, i checked out the place you listed in your thread and i have a 346 coming in this week:D the saw was $332.46 and the shipping insured was $16:blob2: should be in friday:angel:

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
is it friday yet???lol. can't wait for it to come in. down at lowes today for another ax handle and saw a lady gettin ready to buy a pulon, talked her into a 340 and some chaps and helment as well:D

fun_chopper

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Husky vs. Stihl

I have been running an old dangerous Stihl 041AV (untill now) I nearly took my leg off after a vicious kickback on a steep mountain slope. I Wanted something that would ba as durable as Tiny (041AV). I looked at Huskys, and noted that they are plastic shells, like the consumer Stihls.My questions for you devout Husky guys, have you ever broken or destroyed a husky due to a tumble down a hill (the saw, not you!).I purcahced a Stihl 036 Pro due to proportionate size, weight, and performance of the saw compared to my 041.

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Almost all of the people I know have never broken a Husky case by dropping it etc..but a few have been broken by a skidder from time too time,all the stihls are plastic as well I don't know how you got a metal one my 044 MAg is plastic and my 064AV also...

Later Rob..

xander9727

xander9727

The Silverback
088 for big hardwoods. Did the muffler and liked the power increase, but......I'm used to it now so I'll be boxing it up and sending it to KD. Been cutting quite a few large oaks lately 40"dbh and an 088 makes quick work of them. I don't have anything against Husky saws I just don't own one. Might try a 335 cali out. Talked to Ken and he said he told me the 088's have been making more power than the 3120. Alot of it comes down to the chevy/ford arguement. Use what works best for you.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dennis,

Walker's dyno specs, while they may not be accurate, show a 48% hp gain for the 346. I'm sure mine, which you did, is better. 48% on top of the factory specs of 3.4 hp =5.0 hp. That seems about right, as mine was a tad behind a 5.4 hp Stihl 038 Magnum ll. But it might have kept up if the chains had been the same.

Simply put,it is an amazing machine.

Latest posts