favorite silky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All (and specifically Tree guy in OH),

Record straightener -
The Sintung pruner accessory is not a Silky product rather an (unauthorized) accessory designed to fit the Silky Hayauchi. This product was brought in by the previous Silky importer but is on the "delete when out of stock block" by the new importer. IWord from the field is that the smaller version is a better performer than the larger one.

And an FYI for the coming year -
Silky has an awesome new weapon in the works for 2011 that's sure to take the hort-world by storm. To many saw-hounds it's going to be a "why didn't someone think of this before" kind of product that, having tested a prototype myself, will be to sawing what the desktop computer was to the room-sized mainframe. Stay tuned.

Does anyone make a polesaw blade that will bolt onto a regular old style pole head, with the fine teeth like the gomtaro has? I would like to try something like that.. only with a thicker blade than the gomtaro obviously.

I use the Zubat for climbing work and the Gomtaro for ground pruning of smaller trees and shrubs. Gomtaro has a very flexible blade that is wicked sharp. I don't use it for much over 3" diameter but it is great for the smaller stuff and makes a nice clean cut. Love the bright yellow handle and scabbard on the Gomtaro - haven't left one behind yet! Left a black Zubat behind a couple of years ago and never did find it. :cry:

none had a zubat gave it to one of my climbers, didnt think it performed enough to justify the cost. i love my coronas. but im a removaler use it mostly for grabin ropes. cant stand that trimmin crap its for sissies J K

Darn right. We did 37 trims in the past week so I'm wearin' a dress. I'd be wearin' lipstick right now but luckily the guy had on small dying maple we could kill so I could feel like a manly man.
:jawdrop:

LOL

That's fine by me, small wood and JK. While you two studs fight and lowball over removals in a tough econony, this wimp will gladly take on any pruning jobs you're too manly for. About 85% of my business is pruning work. At $65/hr labor (not including equipment), this wimp makes a hell of a lot more money at hourly prune jobs than I do at fixed-bid removals.

A HELL of a lot more AND I don't have to bid 10 removal jobs for every 1 that I actually get - which is just how it's been the last 3 years. I'm actually quite thrilled that there are so many real men in my area and so few wimps like me. Keeps me plenty busy with tree work and you won't hear me complaining about a slow economy.

My Fanno is tired and needs to retire, this thread has made up my mind, today I will get a Zubat at Vermeer, thanks guys, for making my decision easy!
:cheers:
Gotta go to work

LOL

That's fine by me, small wood and JK. While you two studs fight and lowball over removals in a tough econony, this wimp will gladly take on any pruning jobs you're too manly for. About 85% of my business is pruning work. At $65/hr labor (not including equipment), this wimp makes a hell of a lot more money at hourly prune jobs than I do at fixed-bid removals.

A HELL of a lot more AND I don't have to bid 10 removal jobs for every 1 that I actually get - which is just how it's been the last 3 years. I'm actually quite thrilled that there are so many real men in my area and so few wimps like me. Keeps me plenty busy with tree work and you won't hear me complaining about a slow economy.

My apologies. Sorry my post went over your head,
Phil

My apologies. Sorry my post went over your head,
Phil

No need for apologies as no offense was taken and it didn't go over my head. I'm just surprised that using a small hand saw for pruning vs a big chainsaw for removals would make a tree guy feel wimpy. Besides the monetary benefits of pruning vs removals (which is significant in my area), pruning provides a great upper body workout and takes a lot of muscle and endurance to do it all day long. You're sure not going to feel wimpy at the end of the day.

We've got a Sugoi 360 & a Zubat 300 and use the Zubat a whole lot more. Both are fantastic hand saws! Am looking for a smaller one myself for sm. pruning jobs.

I have 3 Sugoi's and a Zubat. They are both good. Depends on what you are doing.. the Zubat a bit more finese than the Sugoi.. but Sugoi has its place as a saw.

How about for pole saws what do you guys use. I have a couple of Jameson fiberglass ones but would like to get a extend able silky any preferences?

How about for pole saws what do you guys use. I have a couple of Jameson fiberglass ones but would like to get a extend able silky any preferences?

Silky Hayauchi - 21' fully extended. Incredible saw for the money.

Mine are Jameson as well. Same poles as the BigShot (although they pole saw is longer than the BigShot poles).

If anybody uses others, would be interested in hearing how they work. Have looked at others, but never actually used anything else. (Frankly my polesaw does not get used much :) )

+1 on the Zubat.

As for a bigger saw between the Ibuki and Sugoi I heard the Sugoi, while it cuts fast, has a thinner blade and won't last as long through hard use as the Ibuki...Anybody?

I think the calf-mount thing looks cool although I've never tried it.

Zubat is compact and durable and replaces a chainsaw for me on a lot of medium-smaller cuts.

Back