favorite type of job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbing is all about power to weight, get on it! I'm setting a bad example though as I seem to have put on another 10 lbs somewhere, yet I seem to climb with all time ease. Maybe it's about experience to weight, I don't know anymore..............

Im working at it, Im a big guy but that means I need proportionally stronger upper body strength to climb effectively. Shouldnt be a problem, im just not conditioned to it. I really made an arse of myself today with an attempted climb or two. Today was my first day really rope climbing, I didnt set a long enough bridge on my tail so I couldnt pull from under my knot, then advance it like I shouldve been. I couldnt set a line on an easy crotch, pretty much just a total failure at climbing. I didnt sleep last night, bad mosquitoes and some week old poison ivy running rampant made me inefficient to the point of being non functional as a climber.

I took the loaner saddle home & practiced throwing/setting lines , doin the hip thrust shag, & attempting to granny lock in an undersized saddle / one I dislike. My hands are blistered to hell but its worth not making a fool of myself next time around. Ive been practicing my knots & remembering applications...working on my tree ID skills.. you name it.

I guess my favorite job is learning, or trying to when it comes down to it.
Climbings not coming easy to me which is different because most things do. Im loving the challenge, its rewarding in many ways.

Im sick of others saddles though, I dont have money to play with but Im about to start investing into my own climbing kit.

just keep banging away at it man. it'll come.

and definitely if you can put some money away weekly to get what you want and need. put 40 bucks a week away for 3-4 months and you can hop into the wesspur catalogue and grab one of their climbing kits. as much as it'll suck dont skimp out on the gear. get the best you can and take care of it. worth every penny really. or you could just put together your kit piecemeal and then have a nice set up.

again, good luck with it. go low and slow.

Welcome to the world of climbing...dont worry it will come to you...they say it takes roughly a year to get really comfortable with what your doing. Definatly invest in a saddle that is comfortable for you, Im climbing on the Buckingham Deluxe Master Series after comming off and old school non-wideback weaver saddle with a butt strap and 2 thin leather leg straps...let me tell you it was older style and uncomfortable as all heck! Moving up to the saddle im in now is like going from a folding metal chair to a lazy boy recliner, its a dream to me, plenty of padding in the wide back and in the individual leg straps, so when your thrusting up, it doesnt feel like you legs and everything in between is getting squeezed together by the butt strap if you know what i mean! I climb with a long bridge, due to my very large arm span, which makes it quite efficent for me having a long throw on my prussic...Try using a prusic minding pulley set up. Its a dream when you dont have to tend to your hitch except to pull the slack out if you just go arm over arm above your knot, or i believe you can tie the minding pulley up higher and pull below the knot as well, not to sure but thats what it seems like in the sherril catologe picture, maybe some other members can add some insight to it. Definatly invest in the gear that will make climbing easier and more fun. I got into climbing becuase I love the rush from it and its always a challenge to me, always new techniques to learn about and improve your own way of climbing. Welcome to the addiction! Climb safe!

I love the mix my job gives me. Sometimes a good bombing mission is rock n roll but a thin of a camelia is Zen.

Probably my fav is a thin of a large pohutakawa (metrocidious excelcia) with silky, some music playing on my worktunes, and moving and sharing space only the birds get to enjoy.

my fav jobwould have to be big wood removals. seeing as how trimming hydro lines is mostly pruner snips. i love seeing that big wood hit the ground and the feeling from the THUD!
it also aids in understanding the physics of trees compared to trimming lines.
RAIN DAY today....woohoo

Last edited:
Rain day here too, I need the time off for some running around. I enjoy trimming and/or deadwooding large trees. Give me a large Willow to trim and I'll make it look like a million bucks. Of course a large removal if the wood stays is always a nice change.
Municipal did you attend S.S.F.C.?

Last edited:
Favs

Fine pruning. I love it. Ornamental trees, shrubs, hedges, you name it I love it.
Pruning large shade trees for people who understand and appreciate a quality job also is fun. I climbed a tree withot spikes the other day and it was very strange, havent done anything but removals for a long time since i moved out of Boston. Preservation is my style...
I would say that old school removals are fun also, craneless, lots of rigging, speedlining, tip tying huge upright brances on a locust, the insta crane I call it.
Crane removals and stump grinding are my least favorites. Call em crazy but it takes a far better "arborist" to prune a tree then to take it down with a crane. A million guys who can kill trees WAY fater then me, but thats not an arborist....

Big ones where I can use all the equipment- and I still need to climb. Those are the best for me right now, makes me feel good to see how far my little biz has come. Also the money is usually good on those ones too, lol. I would rather do takedowns with the bucket and tractor because thats good money and easy, however bucket jobs just dont do for the soul what the climbing jobs do, you dont feel that satisfication as if you had climbed all day. I like to know I can prune and I love the end product, I'm just so lazy about those jobs that they are no fun for me. I wuold rather use my skill and equipment to make time and go home and have a beer.... or two even perhaps, lol.

Last edited:
My favorite job; I don't get it down here in Florida, but Up in the U.P. of michigan we did them all the time. Hand drawn maps to cabins in the woods. They say there is a lake down there, I want to see it. I love a good challenging view cut. Even with the brush dragging up hill all day.

Big ones where I can use all the equipment- and I still need to climb. Those are the best for me right now, makes me feel good to see how far my little biz has come. Also the money is usually good on those ones too, lol. I would rather do takedowns with the bucket and tractor because thats good money and easy, however bucket jobs just dont do for the soul what the climbing jobs do, you dont feel that satisfication as if you had climbed all day. I like to know I can prune and I love the end product, I'm just so lazy about those jobs that they are no fun for me. I wuold rather use my skill and equipment to make time and go home and have a beer.... or two even perhaps, lol.

I like to see how little I can use... Like hand pruners and a rake!:)

I like the ones where I make $400.00 for ornamental pruning that takes me an hour with one arm load of brush.

owning your own business sure that job is good and profitable, so sure you should like it. but as your employee catching no where near that number for that job it sure is booooooooooring.

i'd rather do that stuff when i am to old and beat up to climb. there isnt a lick of excitement in that action unless you run into a bee's nest in that rhodi. lol

I cabled a tree off my robe today it was accually a pretty fun time. Despite the Norway being slippery as hell cuz it was wet. But all in all, brought a different aspect to the job. Crane work in the AM, Oldirty bustin my B's about my sharpening job (which he explained and I understand, it was horrible) then cableing. Made the day go by fast. Also hand snipped for some property clearence on a crappy overgrown bush. I like a little of everything like that, before I knew it I was on my way home.

you notice how they dont even look at me when it comes time for the hand snips? lol

now you know what you are looking for when you bust out your file homey.

Speaking of, I just got done laying down a razors edge on the 440. Sometimes I even impress myself, lol.

I took down 2- 20 to 30 inch Basswoods and trimmed one. Did the whole thing by myself after work. 2 hours, didn't rope a single limb, no cleanup and check in my name, those are the jobs I like. Hit a rock in one of the hollow stumps, took the 372 down hard:cry:

Oldirty, the 660 is comming in tommorow, got him down to $600. Quick muffler mod and I'm in business.

Last edited:
Back