Felling/Back cut help needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In another thread...I can't find it when I need to...I recall someone pointing out the hazards of an angled back cut. Can someone explain to me the good, bad and ugly of a proper back cut? Is it dependent on the type of tree, lean, situation, or is the angled back cut always wrong? If so, what are the risks? A lot of stumps I run across show an angled back cut...and I see it being done by other hacks...but I had never had the nerve to ask. I understand dumb questions are tolerated here. Just for the record, I cut on average 50 cords of firewood a year for my OWB and side money...but everything I cut up has been knocked down by a bulldozer. I have a big farmer friend who is always expanding his fields. He is a good friend to have. I rarely cut down trees, still, I want to learn and get better at this lifestyle. Any education you can offer would be appreciated.

a level back cut is a tried and true method.

an angled back cut is a no no for a reason; it's been tried and it ain't true.

I think the biggest issue w/ an angled back cut is when using wedges...The wedge has a tendency to push the tree off of the stump vs. lift it...Which makes for a VERY unsafe condition...

I think the biggest issue w/ an angled back cut is when using wedges...The wedge has a tendency to push the tree off of the stump vs. lift it...Which makes for a VERY unsafe condition...

Right on with that one, doesnt take much of a angle to the back cut and you can push that tree right off the stump.Anyone's guess as to where that tree is going to go after that.

Although, there is one situation where an angled cut comes in handy, and i will try and explain.

had a tree between two houses, no good place to drop it in any direction.Not a lot of room to work between the houses either,several outbuildings in the way.owner of the house next door did not want stuff lowered to their roof.

Here is what I did.
climbed up the two adjoing trees on either side of the one to come out, ran a cable betwen the three trees, joining all three together.
climbed back down, cut the tree at the base(the one in the middle)and made an angle back cut.pushed the tree right off the stump with a wedge.
Now the tree is suspended between the tree on either side,held by the cable.Cut a bit off the stem as far up as I could reach.Lowered the tree, cut some more off.more or less removed the tree from the bottom up.
the only time that I could think of where an angled back cut was called for.

level yes but to the tree

you obviously have lots of chainsaw experience but not much felling, all above answers are right on except on one detail; what is meant by level back cut is a cut that is 90degrees to the tree, now if you have leaning tree that cut should still be 90degrees to the tree and therefore not "level" to the horizon. as much as possible start felling vertical trees first till you feel confident, and then tackle the leaners ideally with an experienced feller, stay safe!
cheers alain:cheers:

Back