Felling Sweetgum Vid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, excellent vid and a good job done.

Second, Why all this focus and emphasis on looking up at the top of the tree???

Watching the cut tells you what you need to know about what the tree is going to do. Looking up isn't going to change anything as to what direction or how the tree is going to fall.

Just don't see how looking up can be all that helpful. The tree is going to commit to the fall or it isn't.

Again, congrats on a good vid and demo on tree falling. I think you did the right thing by watching that saw instead of looking up.

Larry

Last edited:
look up?

If you haven't had the experience yet the first time a limb comes out to tap you on the head you'll know the reason to look up. It's the widow maker you are looking for as you cut. Any small movement at the cut is amplfied as it travels up the tree and becomes a big move at the top shaking anything it can loose. An inch of movement at the base can be feet of movement at the top of the tree.
I was cutting a nearly dead ash on a slope and with a rope up in the top I did my cuts and stepped away to let the guys pull it over. The top spar broke loose and 30' came to the ground spiking the foot print I left at the base of the tree. Look up! You never know when the tree is going to bite back.

First, excellent vid and a good job done.

Second, Why all this focus and emphasis on looking up at the top of the tree???

Watching the cut tells you what you need to know about what the tree is going to do. Looking up isn't going to change anything as to what direction or how the tree is going to fall.

Just don't see how looking up can be all that helpful. The tree is going to commit to the fall or it isn't.

Again, congrats on a good vid and demo on tree falling. I think you did the right thing by watching that saw instead of looking up.

Larry

if you don't look up how do you know what's falling out of the top and onto you?

lookin' up puts your body in a less targetable profile for widowmakers and slabs of bark

bending over at the waist the whole time and never looking up makes you a pretty easy target... you'll never know what hit you!

I think you guys kind of misunderstood me. I didn't say you shouldn't look up as there are times when you need to. If there are no hazards or red flags up in the crown then the need to look up isn't really needed. Maybe I am reading the thread wrong as there seems to be too much emphasis being put on this looking up while cutting instead of watching the saw. I myself would rather be looking at what the saw is doing than what the top of a tree is doing.

I have had more fall out come at me from rigging out a tree for removal than than having anything fall out of the crown while cutting at the bottom. If there is a chance of that happening I do look up but as soon as I see that kerf opening I am already heading for my escape route lickity split.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Todd. I do need to look up more, I've just always been paranoid of kickback. Thanks for pointing it out.

I carry a 3lb mallet in my belt for setting the wedges and getting out of pinches and then use and axe or sledge to drive them in, if needed.

I would be a little worried too if I was holding it that way. I think its ok to start a cut holding onto the side but once you get into it you should have your hand up by the brake.

I think you guys kind of misunderstood me. I didn't say you shouldn't look up as there are times when you need to. If there are no hazards or red flags up in the crown then the need to look up isn't really needed. Maybe I am reading the thread wrong as there seems to be too much emphasis being put on this looking up while cutting instead of watching the saw. I myself would rather be looking at what the saw is doing than what the top of a tree is doing.

I have had more fall out come at me from rigging out a tree for removal than than having anything fall out of the crown while cutting at the bottom. If there is a chance of that happening I do look up but as soon as I see that kerf opening I am already heading for my escape route lickity split.

Larry

I agree, that's how I do it 90% of the time too. The second it moves I am gone and looking up, if I stay with it I am looking up to direct it and watch for widowmakers. If the tree isn't moving and I didn't see any hazards while inspecting, I watch the saw and kerf.

Felling trees where you can't see all of the top would be the other 10%, looking all the time.

Last edited:
Back