Female Climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
I was wondering how many females climbers there are out there. I see mention of it sometimes in TCI and AA, yet I've never seen one anywhere. That would be cool. I have seen women working the ground, but never up a tree. I wonder what the numbers are. Around here, it's zero. Be neat to see that change!

Most of them gravitate to municiple and institutional work, easire to handle the jerks in those settings.

I've net a few, never done work with them.

My roommate is marrying the female who placed 6th at last year's ITCC in the women's division. but she is no longer doing tree work... but was a fine climber when she did:)

I have met a female climber before. I know she went to the ITCC a couple times, probably will be going again this year. I think she placed 6th? or 3rd? Really nice lady, does consulting for the most part. Climbing is rarely a part of her job.

In Oregon, I've met only one woman that was an arborist. She was also a Certified Arborist.

She pruned, but not any climbing.

She worked for Organicare out here.

After she claimed she could out-prune me because she was a Certified Arborist, which she felt was better than my landscape certification, I called her boss and said if she was that good, maybe I should hire her.

He said "you can have her."

In all my workplaces, including the golf courses and university campuses, I've only worked with 2 women that were tough enough for the landscape profession - hands-on - that may possibly have been able to handle light climbing. And they were pretty tough womem.

But I don't think they had the physical stamina or strength to do all the tasks of the average male climber in Oregon. We all know that you have to really "muscle" your way through some of these projects.

Mellisa Lawler with The Care of Trees office in Gaithersburg, MD. She placed first for the 2nd year in a row at the MAC-ISA jamboree and will be competing for years to come. She is a certified arborist and District Foreman for that office as well, hell of a climber and as nasty of a tree guy as any of us

I've had a couple of women work for me. They were entry level climbers. As such, they improved quicker than any male climbers who hired on with the same skills.

Is it surprising that women don't feel comfortable posting here or working in this profession with the comments being made? How would you feel if your daughter, sister, niece came home from work and told you about these comments? I had hoped that this garbage talk would have been left aside years ago.

Tom

I can see how women have a place as climbers never seen one in action. Got to meet Christine Engle a while back.

Women generally have more balance and attention to detail than men. Seems like they would make great climbers. There is a lot more to climbing than big saws and removals.

Right as rain, Tom. Where I work, those comments are enough to get you serious grief in the form of suspension, and if repeatedly a problem, fired.

Of course, treating people with respect shouldn't be dependent on fear of punishment. Just think about how you would want men to treat your daughter, sister, or mate...if you don't see the clear path by that analysis, well...

I'm gone for one day and the trolls come out from under the rocks:rolleyes:

How bought this, there is a big, hairy, gay bodybuilder on the crew who keeps yelling how he digs your butt.

:alien: :confused:

Some of the attitudes I read here from time to time truley are bewildering. From people who touch nature on a daily basis I would have expected more. Maybe I'm wrong in that there are many who simply rub shoulders with nature then turn and kick it's arse?!
Bigoted muppets!

One cannot really understand sexual harrasment untill they, or a frend are subject to it.

Some guys think it is a a right to bother women, and touching is perfectly natural. I can remember a time at a large company i worked at, a saled puke was "chatting' to a young office lady and stroking her arm. I had just looked up, seeing this I said"that's sexual harrasment and I'm her witness. I did this half joking ly. The look of releif on her face was an eye opener, and she said "It certainly is!!"

Of course he looked daggers at me.

On paper things like "Unwanted touching, looking" or "coarse language" seem silly.

Most guys joke that they would see that typ of behavior towards them would be a perk, well it aint. Now think of it as a big fat lady 20 years loder then you....or how'bout 10 of them?

It does not matter if you respect them, one should act civilly towards all poeple."Do unto others..."

my biggest gripe....

The thing that bothers me the worst about working around tree-workers (who are almost always guys), is how production at a jobsite almost stops when a half decent looking girl from ages 14-50 walks by. I feel ashamed when, during lunch, there is a conversation going, then it stops. Confused, I look to see what's up, and there is just a lady, a poor lady walking her dog. Do they think she wants all these boys (they do not behave like men) staring at her, then commenting, after she is gone, what they would/could do to her? It really pisses me off. I want to walk up to the ladies and apologize on their behalf. It's the same thing driving in trucks, all the heads turn. Why do you look. Do they think she is going to look at them? Wink at them? Ask them for their phone numbers? If not, then is there a reason to look? Are they not content with the girls with whom they live and have children? It's no wonder some girls don't feel comfortable just walking semi-confidently alone around town. It's degrading, not only to the women, but also to the guys that do it. It speaks lowly of them. Guys, if this is you, please give it a break. Sometimes, if I'm standing next to a sidewalk heading up a tree and a lady walks by, I like to look them right in the eyes and say hi...and maybe ask how their day is. I think girls are comforted by someone treating them as a person and not a picture. Give it a shot.

love and respect, especially to Heidi, the female climber I worked with in Chicago

nick

Well, I think that reflects the quality of the companyies you work for Nick ;) .

I'm not against the casual glance at a pretty lady, that is nature. The group oggle is a little more primatve "Whoah, look at that!"

If I have a say in the operations of a crew, I'm with you on the plesant greeting. It should be offered to any passer by.

Oh, and an offer for free chip or fire wood to any obviouse nieghbor:D

Nick, can you type that again in spanish so I can let my guys read it.....

They need it bad I think 14-50 is kind of narrow... :mad: :(

TREETX, it will take a little time, but i'll see what i can do! And you're right, 14-50 was a very conservative range.

love
nick

It is sad that this topic is even brought up at all. Just shows reality of our world. We spend time dealing with BS that grown people should just know without having to be told.

When I first got a job as crew leader, I though about how I was going to make the company more efficient, and educate the workers on better techniques to promote EXCELLENCE in tree care.

Reality was having to make sure everyone packed a lunch, telling the same idot to put out cones EVERY day, telling everyone to wear a helmet daily, use at least ONE tie in pt, make sure they didn't take saws home, remembered to clock out at the end of the day, and of course - not hoot and holler at every female thing in sight.... :(

It is really sad - not one of the things that gives me great faith in humanity.

Latest posts

Back