Female Climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Women in the profession-I'm all for it

I apprenticed this woman for 4 days last year. She came up from Costa Rica, wanted the 'fast track'. I suggested the 'safe track'.

She was a bi-lingual whitewater raft guide, killer kayaker, surfer chick, mountain bike goddess, tarpon fishing guide, eco-tourism director and adventure racer, as well as mother of two teen kids.

I have never met anyone with quite the awesome set of credentials. She was serious about footlocking and had a goal to go back to the 'touristy' areas and prune trees over swimming pools and eating areas- mostly pole pruner and Silky Saw stuff - but she wanted the fundamentals of safe climbing. What a spirit!

I paid her in money and gear, turned her on to arboristsite.com and wished her the best in her pursuits. Wish there were more out there like her. Attitude, will and desire, and an innate confidence that powerfully overshadowed her budding knowledge.

bleep - JPS

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few female climber's here in London(England) even an all female tree crew.I've watched a female thin a large beech out and with a 020t there was nothing to pick between her and a man of the same experiance level.I wonder if this would change when "taking down" a large tree when its necessary to use a big saw.

i had to go back and delete all my posts in this thread. i'm embarrassed to be apart of it now......getting to disrespectfull for me.

In gymnastics lady's have the balance beam as an expression of feminity/ balance. Without the higher shoulder,neck etc. muslces and wider, heavier pelvic cradle they have a lower center of balance, prolly suited to some tree climbing stuff too.

Also, that lower center of balance, keeps them from flying off uneven parallel bars during some of the spins around on waist.

Along with lighter bodies; that if they can combine with a sleek, tenacious feline musclature (mmmm and prowess)can balance out a lot of what ya feel they might be missing.

Also, by conscentrating more on technique than overpowering the giants, logically in time could pass some others by.

IMLHO

:alien:

Edit, by the giants ; i mean the trees we try to overpower as if ants to matchsticks.

Last edited:
I've always admired women who will stick it out and enter a predominantly male field. Not because of the jobs themselves, but of what they will 'put up with' to get there. And "No"....I don't believe a woman has anymore 'right' to a job she can't do than a male.

This last post describing 'wonder woman' is a great example. VERY flattering description, I enjoyed it immensely, made me think this is a woman who really has it together. Then...with a couple ill chosen words...she's reduced to a piece of meat. It's very, very confusing. But....it's what women put up with sometimes to get the 'priviledge' to earn a living.

There are two ways to work with men. One is a 'man' working with a 'woman'. That sucks (excuse me.) Two <b>people</b> getting the job done, one happens to be male and the other female....THAT's more what I'm used to, and the only thing I'll accept. Sometimes there are inherent male/female tendancies that have us working sometimes differently, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing....in fact....meshed in the right way, works great.

JMHO,
Che

Originally posted by kf_tree
i had to go back and delete all my posts in this thread. i'm embarrassed to be apart of it now......getting to disrespectfull for me.

Good for you Ken!

I'm not reading all the posts these days, so yall need to let us know when people are getting stupid.

TM- is your wife aware of that?

No disrespect intended

You guys, I committed a social faux pas and with my tail between my legs, I step out here and apologise. JP Bleeped me out and other commented.

I was being funny, but lost track of the fact that I'm in a professional arena. I ask that those few indiscriminate words not be a basis of judgement. It won't happen again. -TM-

Last edited:
John Sanborn...There are many that believe your comments about gays are equally offensive. In the state of Mass all men and women are equal by law no matter the sexual orientation.

iv enever met a female tree climber who could crank a husky 394 xp while hanging or standing on spikes ... and then cut a huge knotch in a 4 foot dia. tree ? is there one?

Dark, I fail to see much relevance between being a climber and being able to crank a 395 in the tree on spikes. I have been climbing for decades and have never cranked a 395 aloft-could I do so? I have no doubt that I COULD but I have seldom needed a large saw in the tree and NEVER have I needed a 395 in the tree.

I have met one lady who climbs-I haven't seen her climb but we talked about climbing a bit while working together at The RMC-TCC. She could have registered as a contestant and taken the ladies"win" since there were no others but she didn't want that kind of win nor did she want to embarass herself-she made no claim to great climbing skills. I have no claim to great climbing skills either-I climb. I get work done. I'm a good arborist but I'm not a great climber. So what?

well stumper ,, ive had to crank a 394 xp many times to cut huge wood ..i usually hang from above cut my knotch and most of the back cut befor coming lower onto my laynerd ... the 372 will work most times its just when you really want speed in really big wood and there is no other way ... besides it just about as easy to crank any of those models the 394 just weighs more ... my boss in katoomba australia regularly sent up the 272 ... there are some big trees in those parts ... and its simply eaisier with a longer bar and more power .... im really suprised there are climbers with say 10 or more years exp. that have ent had a big cut situation arise .... i dunno ?

how about cranking a 3120 up a tree then, now thats hard.

id like to see someone crank up some of the big old saws up a tree. im talking pre-decompresion valve jobbies

stephen, you mean like my high compression older 066.?....That puppy is hard to start, on the ground...

At least the 3120 has a compression release...it is not that easy to handle aloft, with its 42 inch bar.....for this little squirt.... I've had to use it in a tree just a few times...

It's the rare tree where I need either till I hit the ground; the PS 7900 by Dan Henry with 32 bar is usually the ticket.

I do it naturally

:cool: Well, couldn't help but read this, I am a female 39. I have been climbing since 2002. As a matter a fact I posted a thread asking about basics of climbing and John Paul Sanborne told me to get that book Tree climbers companion, so I did and the rest just followed. Am still climbing, have my own business, and when things get deep....I bring in a more experienced climber. Have a great crew! Haven't had any old men break out the lawn chairs to watch lately, probably cause it's too hot. Get alot of comments, on how and why, but it just feels great. I won the axe throwing comp. when timbersports came to town. Well, anyways, I know when I have a question, guys, I know where to come.....thanks to you all.

Latest posts

Back