Field testing the Poulan 330

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We had a nice outing yesterday, first of the season, and it provided a good opportunity to test our newly aquired Poulan 330. This was actually the second one, as the first one had some running issues that we couldn't correct.

Anyhow, I took 5 saws to the woods, with no intention of timed cut testing, we all know how that goes if one doesn't spend the time and funds to make sure all the saws tested have EXACTLY the same bar length/chain set-up, etc. Basically, I just wanted to get some time on the Poulan and see how it does in the field? I took along my Husqvarna 435, 55 and 262XP, and the little Echo CS-360T for light work.

I started out with the 435, in an good size Ash log, on the small end. When I reached the larger portion of the log I fired up the Poulan 330 and went to work. It did a decent job, but wasn't overly impressive anyplace. Half of the tree was still standing as it was snapped off in a recent storm, so I took the rest down and finished it up. I'd hit the ground enough times that the chain was in need of touching up, so out comes the Husqvarna 55.

I moved on at this point to another top, cleaned up some more limbs, and then to a old Oak log that was hard as stone. The 55 is just a nicer saw to operate all the way around compared to the Poulan. Smoother, faster and more comfortable. The smoothness and being faster may be in part due to the shorter 18" bar and .325" chain set-up, compared to the 3/8" full chisel 22" bar the Poulan is trying to run? In any case, the folded over raker 22" chain used on the 330 just isn't as good a deal, and I've never been fond of those chains anyhow. More ideal chain set-up or not, the little 55 is just a nicer saw to run, period.

Timed cuts were out of the question, as the Poulan has no chance at all against the Husqvarna without swapping to a shorter bar and .325" chain set-up. In any case, I ran the 55 for a while, then switched to the Husqvarna 262XP when the 55 ran out of fuel.

Folks, I strongly recomend NOT doing this. Just about the time you think a Poulan is doing a decent job of cutting, you grab a Husqvarna XP and realize why they have such a good following. Ya, I know, the 262XP has a bigger engine, blah, blah, blah , and all that, but it goes a LOT further than just having more power. The 262XP pound for pound is a superior unit in every respect. Faster, smoother, handles better, etc. I didn't weigh them either, but I'm betting the 262XP isn't any heavier than the Poulan 330.

The 330 is just an OK saw, nothing impressive about it anyplace. Owning a 55 and 262XP, it's not going to see much use here, so I gave it to my son to add to his newly started collection.

So here's the bottom line. In small material, the 330 is no better, if as good as the Husqvarna 435, and a LOT heavier. In 15-18" material, does OK, but my 55 would smoke it easily with it's shorter bar and .325 chain set-up. In big material, it woln't hold a candle to a 262XP. So what we have is a decent running saw for $200, that really needs another $60 or so thrown at it with a shorter bar, .325" sprocket and .325" chain set-up.

I would also add, that although it never cut out or died, the engine seemed to change it's tune at idle whenever it felt like it (reminded my of running a Sears/Poulan). One minute it would speed up slightly and idle smooth, the next minute it would settle down and act OK. This is why the first unit was returned, but it did it more often and would stall out during these episodes. Doesn't matter where you set the "L" screw, it changes tune continuously if left idling for more than a few seconds between cuts.

OK, I've rambled on long enough. Bottom line, it's an OK deal at $200, nothing to get overly excited about, and it certainly needs more money thrown at it to really start showing it's colors.

Also, keep in mind when you read this, I'm just trying to be objective, and I specifically carried along the 435, 55, and 262XP as they cover a broad cc range smaller and slightly larger in displacement than the 330, and are all completely "stock", no muffler mods, just precisely tuned running new or almost new sharp chains.......Cliff

Cliff Your 55 used to be modded, did you unmod it.? A .325 setup should make a huge difference on that 330. Why do saw makers put a chain on that the saw can't pull? Steve

Last edited:
This 55 is stock, I resisted the temptation to port it when the jug was off. I did remove the muffler screen, that's it, so we'll call it a minor muffler mod at best.

The 330 comes with one of those folded over raker Oregon chains, biggest POS I ever ran on my 268XP. They just cut OK the first one or two sharpenings, then you might as well toss them out and go get a real chain.

I already know that muffler mod to the 330 is going to help it quite a bit, that is one very restrictive muffler. In any case, I wanted to test it stone stock, just to see how it fairs in the woods doing what it's supposed to.......Cliff

Last edited:
I didn't even try the 22" 3/8 full comp that came with mine. I immediately switched to an 18" .325 setup. I think you will like the saw much better with a shorter B/C combo.

I don't know why cheaper saws come with more bar than they can handle.

Sorry to hear about your idle problem. I liked the one from TSC so much, I bought another one used on e-bay. Both of mine idle fine. The e-bay special needs almost two turns on the L screw. I vac and pressure tested it, thinking it must have a leak, but not so. It just won't run right without being that far out. less than 1/8 of a turn either way and it won't idle for beans.

I also opened the muffler outlet and pulled the goofy cross tube out of both of mine.

Right now I don't have any idea at all why both of the 330's we aquired change speed at idle, going lean, then rich, etc? The first one was much worse, to a point where it would stall out. This one does EXACTLY the same thing, but not nearly as bad, so I'm accepting this condition for now. Both also require the "L" screw to be right at 2 turns out. Moving it in either direction results in stalling out during the going lean "episodes".

The pipe in the muffler is crazy, and a HUGE restriction. I removed it from the first saw, but couldn't really evaluate it as it kept stalling out and going lean, etc, between cuts.

I'm not touching this one for a while, it's doing OK, and I want to get some time on it before modding it in any way......Cliff

......I didn't even try the 22" 3/8 full comp that came with mine. I immediately switched to an 18" .325 setup. I think you will like the saw much better with a shorter B/C combo.

I don't know why cheaper saws come with more bar than they can handle. ....

Most clueless people associate bar size with the size of the saw. Therefore by putting a larger bar on it they can convince the ignorant consumer that they are getting a bigger/better saw.

:agree2::agree2:

Good point.... I was going to add to it....but thinking it over, I couldn't say it any better! I learned about shorter bars on AS....

Regards

Dan

Sounds like an accurate report to me Cliff. Stone stock they are not very impressive, and after I spent a bunch of time porting (covered in my thread) It is just even with a stock 5100. Added to a lineup of saws like most of us have here, it will not see much use. I think it is a cheaply priced and very durable unit for the average homeowner with one or two saws. Still fun to port one to see what they can do though.

Randy

Randy, the 5100 is no slouch, so if you are running up there with it, that's pretty good results in my book.

The problem I have, is that I'm just plain spoiled. If you own a 262XP, and 268XP, with short bars on them, running saws like this Poulan 330 with a 22" bar......well, it's about as fun as raking leaves with a fork!......Cliff

Cliff, your a funny guy. You doubted the 330 when everyone was talking about it. It seemed like you were saying, its a Poulan so it can't be any good.

You knew everyone said the 22" bar was all wrong for it. You knew that no one claimed for it to be the fastest in it's class on the whole face of the earth.

But you bought one anyway and now you base its worth only on it's ability to out cut a 18" .325 Husky 55 which is probably your closed port model and a 62CC Husky XP legend.

Seems like most everyone else is pretty satisfied with there new $200 saw. No one else even mentions idle problems but you got two that won't idle right.

Was your mind made up ahead of time and are you really going to give it a fair shake?

I wonder.

Regardless of what you suggest/imply, I'm not trying to do anything but give the saw a real evaluation. I actually like the damn thing, and would like it a LOT more if it didn't hunt around at idle and just sit there for hours and idle away like my other saws without changing speed(s) up and down, etc.

Aside from that little problem, it's an OK saw, and I am NOT pre-judging it, just letting folks know, it's no powerhouse, or does it do anything else that has me look down at it and say, "man, this is a great peice of American/Italian/Swedish craftsmanship".

To be perfectly honest, my little 435 Husqvarna smokes the thing in small material, limbing, up to about 8-10" diameter. It woln't hold a candle to my little closed port 55, and the 262XP at about the same weight is just about twice as fast in the same log.

Even with all that said, the overweight 54cc Poulan is a good deal at $200. The low price is quickly offset by having to spend another $50-80 on it outfitting it with a .325" drive sprocket, 18" bar and .325" chain, which is what it should have on it anyhow. It simply will NOT pull the big chain, even in small material IF you let the HUGE spikes slip in against the log and put any real pressure on it.

Out of the box, it's exactly what I would expect from the Poulan company, and why I haven't ever kept any of their saws in my line-up that we have aquired over the years. It's just "OK", and will not now, or will ever be even close to the level of my Husqvarna 262XP, or any other Husqvarna in the line-up.

Not trying to be condensending, critical, or anything else, just a dose of reality, the Poulan 330 is a decent saw, very ruggedly built, and will have no problem cutting up plenty of firewood for anyone who purchases one.

It isn't interesting me enough to muffler mod it, or chuck the jug up in my lathe and remove any material from it, or raise the exhaust port, etc, etc. It's a decent workhorse as it is, and we're going to keep using it just like it came out of the box.....FWIW......Cliff

Cliff, your a funny guy. You doubted the 330 when everyone was talking about it. It seemed like you were saying, its a Poulan so it can't be any good.

You knew everyone said the 22" bar was all wrong for it. You knew that no one claimed for it to be the fastest in it's class on the whole face of the earth.

But you bought one anyway and now you base its worth only on it's ability to out cut a 18" .325 Husky 55 which is probably your closed port model and a 62CC Husky XP legend.

Seems like most everyone else is pretty satisfied with there new $200 saw. No one else even mentions idle problems but you got two that won't idle right.

Was your mind made up ahead of time and are you really going to give it a fair shake?

I wonder.

Must be a politaction , a while back his closed port 55 was slighty modded with the exhaust opened up a little and the ports cleaned up, now it just has the muffler screen removed. To be fair the 330 should get a muffler mod, these new saws are really clogged up, and a .325 setup, and broke in good. Steve

Correct, I cleaned up the ports as it was an E-Bay purchase with a tiny bit of aluminum smeared over the ring. While the jug was off, I bead blasted all the carbon out of the ports, but they were not enlarged anyplace, basically because I did not yet have a base-line on the saw to measure any benefits porting would have done for it.

So we have a well used 55 with a few scratches in the bore and some material missing out of the piston (didn't even put a new ring in it) that outruns a new Poulan 330. Pretty meaningless in the big scheme of life, but I hope it makes you guys happy.....LOL.....Cliff

Must be a politaction , a while back his closed port 55 was slighty modded with the exhaust opened up a little and the ports cleaned up, now it just has the muffler screen removed. To be fair the 330 should get a muffler mod, these new saws are really clogged up, and a .325 setup, and broke in good. Steve

Regardless of his political leanings, I would just like to comment on the fact that this "funny guy" was nice enough to go out of his way to get a 330 for me, a person he has only 'met' for the few times we have corresponded here, and send it accross the country, all the way to Canada for me! I sent him the money on a Sunday and I had the saw on Friday afternoon! Thanks Cliff!

As far as giving the saw a fair shake, I don't think any of the 'new' 330 owners have run enough tanks through them to the point where they are broken in enough for accurate evaluation, if I am wrong, please post! I have only seen one video of a used/broken-in older 330 saw in action and it seemed to cut ok. We know the 22" bar is a bit too much for it in stock trim, but why not a muffler mod, some mild porting and a better chain? Buying through the proper vendor, why not an upgrade to the 60cc slug and jug for about $117 extra? At this point, with a few mods, you can't even touch this kind of saw for the same price up here in Canada!! We get slayed for OPE up here in Canada, what with a 361 going for $699-799!!

It's this kind of back-and-forth that keeps things 'interesting' around here and keeps me coming back. If we were all the same it would be pretty boring around here, we'd all just stand around the back alley and drink beer and stare at our our 362's or 440's or (insert popular saw of choice here) and say "Yup....", "Uh-huh...", "Yyyup..."

Mr. Mark, you seem to have alot of knowledge and experience concerning these models of saws and I would not hesitate to ask you a question regarding them, whether or not I hold any 'loyalites' to Mr. Cliff. Keep up the good work!

To the other posters in the contnuing saga of the $200 330, I offer thanks as well, as I already knew of alot of the mods/problems before I even got my saw! I did the muffler mod before I even filled the tanks! I know that the 380 p&c will fit right up and eliminates that exhaust insert thing. All this is possible thanks to the contribution from members here!

:angrysoapbox:

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Thanks and let us know how yours runs? I'm sure the muffler mod is really going to help the 330. The muffler design is quite unique, and all the spent gasses have to escape thru some central contraption, then find their way to the upper corner of the chamber, then slip thru a very small hole into the pipe that travels across the chamber and connects with a relatively small exit.

I would say at a minimum to completely remove the pipe and open up the exit hole slightly.

How much to open up, or add holes to the "box" in the center of the muffler?

My gut feeling is to leave it stock at first, and see how it responds?

The guy who jut ran a thread on porting one, commented that the saw was still pretty quiet, even after a significant muffler mod. He thought this might be in part due to the low exhaust port. I didn't catch any comments that he made about noise level after the porting?

In any case, we've still going to leaves ours stock, at least for a while, and see what results others post on progress/improvements to their 330's.

I have a lathe, and the ability to measure the timing events, etc, and could easily port the jug with specific guidance. Even so, I seldom do this to my work saws. I choose the bars/chains appropriately for them, so they stay well within their power range and get the work I'm asking from them done quite effectively.

My son now owns the 330, he may decide to switch it to .325" chain and shorten up the bar some, which IMHO, would be a very good direction to go with that saw. It just isn't looking good to have a department store level Husqvarna 435 outrunning a fine peice of American/Italian/Swedish craftmanship!........Cliff

It just isn't looking good to have a department store level Husqvarna 435 outrunning a fine peice of American/Italian/Swedish craftmanship!........Cliff

Don't forget OUR contribution to the whole sordid affair! :cheers:

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Thanks and let us know how yours runs? I'm sure the muffler mod is really going to help the 330. The muffler design is quite unique, and all the spent gasses have to escape thru some central contraption, then find their way to the upper corner of the chamber, then slip thru a very small hole into the pipe that travels across the chamber and connects with a relatively small exit.

I would say at a minimum to completely remove the pipe and open up the exit hole slightly.

How much to open up, or add holes to the "box" in the center of the muffler?

My gut feeling is to leave it stock at first, and see how it responds?

The guy who jut ran a thread on porting one, commented that the saw was still pretty quiet, even after a significant muffler mod. He thought this might be in part due to the low exhaust port. I didn't catch any comments that he made about noise level after the porting?

In any case, we've still going to leaves ours stock, at least for a while, and see what results others post on progress/improvements to their 330's.

I have a lathe, and the ability to measure the timing events, etc, and could easily port the jug with specific guidance. Even so, I seldom do this to my work saws. I choose the bars/chains appropriately for them, so they stay well within their power range and get the work I'm asking from them done quite effectively.

My son now owns the 330, he may decide to switch it to .325" chain and shorten up the bar some, which IMHO, would be a very good direction to go with that saw. It just isn't looking good to have a department store level Husqvarna 435 outrunning a fine peice of American/Italian/Swedish craftmanship!........Cliff

I do not understand. My 330 eats the only 55 that I know of. And my 330 is still wearing a 3/8. I know it would laugh at your 435 as well. As far as the 330 being a powerhouse, we all know that is'nt so, but still find it hard to believe that your plastic 435 will outrun your 330.:cheers:

Cliff, I think the whole thing is that you need to be more apples to apples here.

Why don't you take the bar off your 55, file the adjuster holes straight up so it will oil through the adjuster hole, put a .325 rim on the Poulan along with that 55's bar and chain and then report back to us.

You can still put the bar back on the Husky when your done. Or if you promise to be fair with it, just let me know and I'll send you a 16" bar and .325 pitch chain for you to try out on it. Just send it back to me when your done testing it.

Fair enough? And by the way, just to show you you don't want to be closed mind about a name, come on over and I'll show you a bone stock 1988 52cc Poulan Pro that will out run your 55.

Cripe guys, it's just a field test. As much as I wanted to, I didn't get out the stopwatch, because of the critisism that I would have taken for:

a. Not giving the 330 8-10 tanks of fuel for a complete "break-in".

b. Not running the EXACT same bar/chain set-up as the Husqvarna 55.

c. Not muffler modding it, because the stock muffler is restrictive and holding it back.

d. It's late, I'm tired, and can't think of anything else someone would gripe about if I did a timed cutting test?

Anyhow, my field evaluation stands. It's a decent saw, and if it would hold it's tune at idle when I put it down, I'd like it about twice as much, and want to spend more time modifying it.

It actual use, stone stock right out of the box, it runs no better than a Husqvarna 435 in small material (up to apprx 10"). Not as fast and nimble anyplace as my closed port/cleaned up P/C, muffler screeen removed 55, and woln't hold a candle to a 262XP. I hate even typing 330 and 262XP in the same sentence.

Rest assured, before I give any more unbiased opinions on the 330, I'll have it well broken in, muffler modded, and a real chain on it.....thanks for listening.....Cliff

Back