Fightin' the urge to burn... anyone else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's killing me...The last couple nights have dropped down into the low thirties and the daytime temps are barely reaching 50 F, but I've stayed strong and not lit the fire. Why you ask? Because its my first full year burning wood again and I think I'm gonna be a little shy on the wood. I've got about 5 or 6 cords split and ready since late spring but I promised myself no fires 'til November 1st! ARRGGH!

I also had a heat pump installed this summer and wanted to see how that works with the electric bill before burning. But I got home late from work tonight and while staring longingly at the wood furnace(indoor) I noticed my fuel oil burner kicked in a little too:censored: ! Screw it! Tomorrow I'm burnin' some sweet cherry! Anyone else feeling my pain?

Lit mine today. I've been holding out but my weather has been about the same as yours. I don't have the worry about running out of wood though. Just like to conserve as long as possible.

Light 'er up

I have been burning at night for about 10 days now. The last 2 or 3 days I burned all day and night. I have at least 2 years worth of wood. Last three truck loads I gave to a needy neighbor.

I have been giving away all the dead wood. Green wood I come across gets stockpiled for future years. If I were you I would burn now, that's why you cut all that wood. You will come across more dead wood before you run out.

If you got the room, build a firepit. Then you burn crappy pallets and not give a crap about good wood. I'm lovin mines.:cry:

A little further south here. We've had several nights in the low 30's so far. Haven't hooked up my OWB but have had a fire in the Vermont Castings to take the edge off several nights (mornings actually).

We've been burning a little bit of kindling we got from my wife's grandfather. He is a cabinet maker, so he's always got scrap wood. He'll let it pile up outside and we'll come down in the fall and get a pickup truck load. It makes a nice hot fire that burns out quick for when it gets warmer during the day. I've just started burning this scrap wood this week. My wife's been freezing her rear end off at work, so I've been instructed to have a fire going by the time she gets home. We haven't burnt a piece of split "firewood" yet though.

I've been burning for 2 solid weeks now in the big cookstove. Using the larch and some punkier birch along with the oddball shapes and sizes I call the junk pile. Got the barn set up so that by the time I hit Jan-Feb, I'm into the best stuff, sugar maple and oak. :clap:

just lit mine... only hitting low 40's here... but colder is coming!

It's killing me...The last couple nights have dropped down into the low thirties and the daytime temps are barely reaching 50 F, but I've stayed strong and not lit the fire. Why you ask? Because its my first full year burning wood again and I think I'm gonna be a little shy on the wood. I've got about 5 or 6 cords split and ready since late spring but I promised myself no fires 'til November 1st! ARRGGH!

I also had a heat pump installed this summer and wanted to see how that works with the electric bill before burning. But I got home late from work tonight and while staring longingly at the wood furnace(indoor) I noticed my fuel oil burner kicked in a little too:censored: ! Screw it! Tomorrow I'm burnin' some sweet cherry! Anyone else feeling my pain?

NOPE !! In years past I would hold out as long as I could before lighting the furnace or staerting the stove for a quick burn. This year we had a C-rappy week in the middle of August. Right after cleaning the flue and getting things set up I just had to do a 'test burn'. You know, to make sure I wasn'y going to have trouble with the stove and to be sure the wood was ready for this year.

Started a lot earlier cutting firewood and been feeding the itch with campfires all summer but enough was enough. I was ready.

Keep your eyes peeled for standing dead stuff to harvest if needed. The upper branches easily go right in the fire when you get them home. Just watch out for widowmakers that like to come out of the tops. These are the trees last defense from wood cutters.

It doesn't even have to be the one you are cutting on that does you in. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79066

Here in WV it has been cooling off into the lower 30's and was 28 degrees this morning, I have been burning all this week and after looking at the forecast we will keep it up for the foreseeable future. I still need to get a good bit more wood too. We kind of jumped into this about 6 weeks ago, deciding to try to heat with wood only, so I am behind the ball working to get caught up.

We have a great time around March getting some wood. The snow still around. The sun starts coming out and we get the brilliant, crisp bright days. I always know where a few good old dead trees are, pre selected for their closeness to the road. I park my truck and trailer up on the road, down and buck the trees, then we load the rounds onto a plastic sled. My son weighs about 60lbs, but he can pull over 200lbs of rounds over the snow in the sled! We get to use the gators over the boots, snowshoes if we feel like it, drink hot cocoa when taking a break. Its just great fun and a huge break from cabin fever. Burn on my friend, burn on. It'll make your life better.

Not Yet

I'm still waiting on the chimney sweep. They said probably next week. I try to make it until Dec. 1st. That way if I burn a rik a week I can usually get to the end of February before running out of wood. I will probably start it up as soon as the chimney is cleaned.

I smoke a lot of briskets and pork shoulders. My smoker has a large firebox so I get to play around with a fire all year long.

I have a lot of wood stock piled this year. This year I used a friends log splitter and a tractor with a front end loader. Because of the use of horsepower I have a lot more wood than normal.

I've had the old downdrafter smokin for about 3 weeks now. We had our first snowfall yesterday and the evenings have been pretty cold lately. I have been burning up all the small ends and odd pieces that I saved from a 52" rock maple I cut up this past spring. Had close to a cord of this stuff off this tree and I'm glad I saved it now. Tree came down last May and all the pieces are dry enough to burn now as they were all split and exposed and kept under a cover all summer. I just throw in two or three at a time and keep her at low throttle and it keeps the house just right. With any luck this pile of leftovers will take me well into November and possibly early December depending on what kind of weather we get. I used to leave this stuff in the woods but don't believe I will anymore. As old Ben said, Waste not, Want Not. Incidentally, this rock maple produced just under 5 cord of split stacked wood.

Maplemeister :chainsaw: :)

Lit mine last night for the first time this year(indoor stove). I tried to make it to 1 Nov. but the wife and kids had other plans!

Been burning for a couple days now, it's a good feeling. I have more wood than I will ever use though. It must suck being tight on wood, I don't know the feeling and don't want to. That's half of the freedom, knowing I could go ten years without cutting another stick, then continuing to stockpile and sell.

No pain felt here I even burned in Sept I think I live in screwiest place on earth one day You can get +15c in Dec the next day -30c:) It all depends on were the wind blows.But I use two wood stoves No outside wood boiler for me yet till I build my retirement home:)

Back