Files which brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The names mentioned above: Vallorbe, Pferd, Bahco. I think that Vallorbe makes the ones for STIHL?

There was a big supply chain issue during the COVID mess. Might be more available now (?), but prices went way up for a consumable, like a file.

Google the heck out it. Last year I saw some sold by an industrial supplier for a while that carried other Bahco tools (maybe owned by Snap-On?).

Ahlborn Equipment (owner of the ‘Forrester’ brand) is also a wholesale distributor of Vallorbe in the US. They were out of stock last year.

Philbert

The names mentioned above: Vallorbe, Pferd, Bahco. I think that Vallorbe makes the ones for STIHL?

There was a big supply chain issue during the COVID mess. Might be more available now (?), but prices went way up for a consumable, like a file.

Google the heck out it. Last year I saw some sold by an industrial supplier for a while that carried other Bahco tools (maybe owned by Snap-On?).

Philbert
Pferd made them for Stihl last I knew, but that probably changes as well

Ahlborn Equipment (owner of the ‘Forrester’ brand) is also a wholesale distributor of Vallorbe in the US.

Philbert
How would you rate Stihl files ?

How would you rate Stihl files ?
I am not the person to rate square files.

As far as chainsaw files in general (round), I have a variety of brands and ages. Some members here will talk if a ‘bad batch’ of brand name files. I would happily use the brands noted, along with Oregon.

With the double bevel files used for square filing, the corners are critical, and members have also common ‘bad batches’. So inspect them before you buy them, if you can, or buy from a place with a good return policy, if you can.

Philbert

Vallorbe makes a decent file, they stay sharp but I find they are not very aggressive. Pferd classic are my top pick, they are more aggressive and hold their edge well. I know stens offers 2levels of file, one is their silver streak line and I think their made in china the other is the regular stens and it is made by vallorbe. oregon has two versions as well, a consumer line thats china and the other is made by vallorbe. the one Bacco file I have used a lot has been decent, kinda between the vallorbe and pferd classic in its cut and seems to stay sharp so far but be warned it will chip easier.
The prices went full crazy for 12 files, they were so high most stopped offering a dozen and offered 6 or singles. The prices are starting to come down but the square files are still stupid expensive. I found watching for amazon carefully for a few months they would do pre orders for 6 packs taking a couple weeks to be shipped but the prices were much much better ( about half the price) compared to the other offerings. They stay that price until the shipment arrives then they go up by about 1/3. Hope this helps!

Vallorbe makes a decent file, they stay sharp but I find they are not very aggressive. Pferd classic are my top pick, they are more aggressive and hold their edge well. I know stens offers 2levels of file, one is their silver streak line and I think their made in china the other is the regular stens and it is made by vallorbe. oregon has two versions as well, a consumer line thats china and the other is made by vallorbe. the one Bacco file I have used a lot has been decent, kinda between the vallorbe and pferd classic in its cut and seems to stay sharp so far but be warned it will chip easier.
The prices went full crazy for 12 files, they were so high most stopped offering a dozen and offered 6 or singles. The prices are starting to come down but the square files are still stupid expensive. I found watching for amazon carefully for a few months they would do pre orders for 6 packs taking a couple weeks to be shipped but the prices were much much better ( about half the price) compared to the other offerings. They stay that price until the shipment arrives then they go up by about 1/3. Hope this helps!
Are these the right Pferd files?

https://www.treestuff.com/pferd-dozen-round-chainsaw-files/

Oberg used to be the bestest there was.......

A lot depends on the size and make of chain you are wanting to file and the pressure and technique of your filing.
Lots of good names and brands have been mentioned already- but I am getting a good run out of some Carlton branded files of late- they were fairly cheap in the scope of file prices to boot.

I would not get those since they don’t specifically say classic cut or classic line.
It will say that when they are the more aggressive ones.

Stihl is fine if you can’t order or buy in bulk if you get decent prices. If I can choose keep looking for pferd classic cut.

I found @GusGus2020 on here who sells on eBay also this user https://www.ebay.com/itm/2557737600...SuwDo-WSEq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
That’s for a square file.
Anyway I just ordered 3 boxes of round files and a couple depth gauge files for decent price. He is just a small guy so I had to wait a little to get my sizes in, but he treated me well and I like supporting a family guy who works in the woods and on saws. Message him directly or if you can’t get ahold of him I can give you his info. I was basically preferring to get pferd classic cut, but decided differences were minimal so went with ease of ordering from a guy like myself.

I my surveys(I need to compile the numbers) I feel like Pferd and Vallorbe are preferred 3 to 1. With oregon and Chinese files at the bottom. I keep hearing of 2 different oregon files, but in my limited experience I can say my old oregon files from Portugal were awesome. New Swiss ones not good unless 5/32 and almost any files work at that size I think. There may be good oregon out there but without proof or a different line name, I am not trying them for awhile. At least with Pferd you can shoot for the Classic cut and know it’s different from the others.

Hope that helps. It’s kinda crazy here with a new baby and someone just shot our dog in view of the children, (rough rough day) but if you covered costs I could send a vallorbe or 2, or some of the Sandviks I got.

Latest posts

Back