Files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Bones

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has any one used the Woodland Pro "Fine Cut" round files?

What do you think of them? I am considering trying them out.

They work great for sharpening in the shop (in the woods I prefer a more aggressive file to get back to work a few strokes sooner).They last longer with a drop of dark thread cutting oil on them. :cheers:

They're made by vallorbe you may actually be familiar with them as they appear in husky and stihl boxes from time to time. Even oregon too.

Honestly check out some of the save edge files. You will be happy. They cut very well and still leave a fine finish. I like both but the save edge is a perfect combo of speed and smoothness.

The last time I used Pferd files I was not happy--they seemed to dull and fill up really fast.

People say tap out after each stroke but F that I dont have time for that.

I keep a small wire brush with me to clean my file when in use.
keeping the filings cleared out will make the file cut faster. Just a tap occationally helps.

I have a couple of the woodsman pro files.
For wood dull touch ups they are great but if you need to repair a rocked chain in a hurry the save edge is a better choise.For the money wp is as good as it gets in most cases.
Not knowin all i got last order was one 3/16th and one 7/32th but i will be ordering more.

when a file starts is lose it's bite, soak it in white vinegar for an hour.
Thanks for the tip,I have a couple that seemed to dull way too fast and it may just work on them.
For the past year I've been using either a double bevel or a goofy on all my chisel chain but i have 2 saws set up with semi so I still use my round files.Just seems a lot harder to find a sharp one when I need it any more.
The better half is at wally world better give her a call and have her pick me some up.(white vinergar)

:confused: Im at a loss on this one.
what does white vinegar do besides clean the gunk out of the file?

Whats that do old timer?

The acetic acid in the vinegar etches the file so you gain a bit of an edge back.

Metals and Randy tipped me off to that one in another thread a year or so back.

:confused: Im at a loss on this one.
what does white vinegar do besides clean the gunk out of the file?

There is a common belief that soaking a used file in acid will 'sharpen' it by eating away at the dull edges, making them sharp again. White vinegar is just a weak acid that is commonly found around the house. Other guys say to use a stronger acid.

I can't say if this works or is a myth, but I first heard it 30 years ago. It will loosen any rust on the file, making it look new again!

Philbert

The acetic acid in the vinegar etches the file so you gain a bit of an edge back.

Metals and Randy tipped me off to that one in another thread a year or so back.

wouldn't that just etch all surfaces of the dull file edge? actually, I could see it even dulling a sharp edge by attacking the thinnest edges the worse.
maybe im missing something here...

I use tap magic, squirt a line on the bench and drag the file through occasionally.

It seems to bite better after a soakin', even on Stihl chain.

since we're on the topic...

How many sharpenings do you guys get out a file? I know there are lots of variables that affect the answer to that question, but since sharpening with files now(instead of the dremel) I get great results but sure seem to use the files up quickly!

File life depends on a lot of things, I figure a chain will need 2 or 3 files to wear it out. However, A Stihl file (about the only thing I can get here) can do a 93 DL Oregon full skip all by itself.

I am a fan of using a tooth brush every tooth or three to clean out my files. I have tried penetrating oil, still can't decide if its worth the trouble or not.

I have heard people clame that trick flow help with filing and grinding, keeps things cool, clean and helps keep away rust, but I'm too cheap for that stuff.

P.S. Oregon files are poopy.

First, the best files I ever found were "Pferd". If they collect filings, a quick rap against the bar cleans it out.

I can make a file last for a whole chain's life. Used to go through them like candy. Now, I have found a lighter touch gets the job done and makes the file last a LOT longer. Also, some people tend to file at such an angle (horizontally) that they actually contact the chain links. That will kill a file very quickly. A friend does this. His saw cuts like mad, but he uses 4 files to my one...and his chain breaks now and then.

I should add that I make a file last like that only if I do not hit rocks..then all bets are off.
That life-span is only when putting an edge on "wood dull" chains.

Last edited:
ive been seein some wierd stuff on this thread.

A file that is used on a sharp chain lasts alot longer than a rocked chian,(blunt bits).
A chain that is used alot and filed while it is still sharp is very easy on a file. A chain can last along time, it can also be ruined in the first tree. A good fille can last weeks. If you are just touching up a good chain, you can file a few chains with one file, but you can also use several files to file one chain. It is all quite variable. . .

I think most folks let their chains get wayyy too dull before they think about filing. . just a hunch though. . .

I just got a box of those Save Edge files and I think they are as good as Stihl or sure pretty close to it. I had one file last for a whole logging job and part of the next one.

At this point, I have used about all of the makers files and I would only endorse Stihl and SaveEdge, as I'm sure that Stihl chain is harder than Oregon Files, LOL, and I wasn't real impressed with Woodland Pro's files as they were somewhere in the middle.

SaveEdge rakers files are quite good. I have never used a Stihl raker file at this point.

I don't like Pferds at all, very soft.

My experience and opinion,

Sam

Back