Filing angle for 35LG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiterch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a few loops of 35LG for my brother's MS260 Pro. The box (Oregon) says the filing angle is 25 degrees, but the chain looks to be more like 30 degrees. It is definitely a steeper angle then the stock chain, which looks to be 25 degrees.

What do you guys think?

I dont know. I personally like the 25 and 30 degrees on the top plate. either one works well for me. then again, I'm running Carlton semi chisel chain with the rakers set at .030

Oregon sure suggest 25 degrees for 3XLG, while Stihl suggest 30 degrees for most of their chain models. Oregon also suggest 10 degrees upward angle, while Stihl suggest no upward angle on your file. There are exeptions, though.

Both top-plate angles work nice on either chain brand in my limited experience. Just make sure the angles are the same on both sides of the chain!

I think the old theory was that you should use more top-plate angel in soft wood (and/or with more powerful saw), and less angle in harder wood.

Back