Filing angles Baileys House brand chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sach

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know what the correct filing angles are for

Woodsman Pro chain 30RCS .375 x .050

I cant find the info on their website and they don't give you the info in your shipment, which they should.

By the way IMO this Woodsman chain "feels" very light and doesn't seem as "thick", hefty as Oregon chain. I'll know after I mic it out. Also I was very disapointed to see that the wrench and sprocket I also got from them are made in Taiwan. Also the replacement oil cap I got doesn't have the sprocket shape molded in it so that'll be a ????? to get off when it gets tight.How cheap...

saw angle

i run mine at 30 dergrees. all so if you go the as sponsors and ask baileys they sponsor as.:chainsaw:

Carlton makes the Woodsman Pro chain for Baileys. Carlton's website is down at the moment. There is a link for it in the reference threads post. You can sharpen it at whatever angle you like. Most Carlton chain is originally ground at a 35 degree angle. It is a harder chain than Oregon. I use the semi chisel and it holds up much better for me doing clearing work with dead elm and locust much better than the softer Oregon.:popcorn:

Last edited:
I have one of the Fil O Plate filing guides made by the chain manufacturer. If I run across it tomorrow I will measure what angle it gives. Whatever works for Oregon will work on the Carlton. 30 degrees is common but in hardwood some people go a little straighter across at 25 deg. Measure a bunch of handfiled teeth and they probably vary between the two figures. As long as it is sharp you could live with either.

The 23RC chain I just got from Bailey's came in a Woodsman Pro box... and the filing details are right there on the back of the box.

vapnut257 said:
The 23RC chain I just got from Bailey's came in a Woodsman Pro box... and the filing details are right there on the back of the box.

Not on the boxes I got. they just plain white.
I guess they don't send that kind of info to Canadians eh?

Back