filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbar85

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been reading a lot on filing tech. and have learned a lot and have a lot to learn. Did not realize how criticle it was. One simple ? I could not find the answer to. Which way should you stroke the file? When sharpening a knife I stroke into the edge and have been doing the same on chains. However, when I read that it was best to angle the file down 10 deg. did not make sense when that would go against the angle of the cutter.

If you are using a round file it is customary to file from the inside of the tooth toward the outside. Less chatter and tooth easier to hold. Because the top plate is inclined approx 10 deg. from horizontal, the file should match this angle to cut a uniform angle all across the top plate. File life should be better flaking the crome off the downstream side instead of breaking it up and forcing it through between the file and the tooth as would happen filing from the outside.

Frank

Although this thread is only 16 years old it still has relevance.
Filing is hard to describe in words, but for the more accomplished filers out there, try lifting up on the file while pushing down with your thumb. It does a nice job under the top plate on a wood dull chain.

Back