Finally Used My New Dump Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With the rainy spring my woodcutting has been slowed.

I was excited because I finally got to use it... delivered a 1/2 cord of mixed hardwoods this week. This is a 10' Griffin. I'm really digging this thing and highly recommend one. If you are on the fence, go get it. I decided on the 10' over the 12' because it was cheaper and I honestly wondered if I would be able to cut and load a 12' all by myself. Probably not...so the 10' made more sense. The Griffin comes with the ramps, 2 way gate, the front bulkhead is plumbed for a tarp reel. Hydraulics are power up, power down, two rams. 12 gauge steel, two piece construction. Made in USA.

Safe cutting everyone.

GriffinDump1.jpg

I have 12ft beds on several of my trucks. Fits 2 cords, but the last couple rows is a pain since there's no room to put the wood (have to let the conveyor drop it on the ground) and pick it up to stack it.

I've been thinking of putting a 14ft on the truck I'm currently setting up.

12 guage floor? One of my beds is steel, it's 10 guage and dented up bad. The new one I'm considering 3/16".

If you load stuff into it, like gravel, and firewood only and not any equipment, you might be better suited with some UHMW plastic. I put mine in so could take it out too if i wanted, but don't since i have an equipment trailer.

I don't think i could do firewood without a dump trailer way to handy. and like the OP said if you are on the fence go and get it, you will be surprised the amount of things you will be using it for after you have it, doing your yard clean up in the spring and falls, garden beds, odds and ends, firewood, dump runs, the list goes on i know it would be tough without mine, and i just have a small 5x10 single axle.

If you load stuff into it, like gravel, and firewood only and not any equipment, you might be better suited with some UHMW plastic. I put mine in so could take it out too if i wanted, but don't since i have an equipment trailer.

I don't think i could do firewood without a dump trailer way to handy. and like the OP said if you are on the fence go and get it, you will be surprised the amount of things you will be using it for after you have it, doing your yard clean up in the spring and falls, garden beds, odds and ends, firewood, dump runs, the list goes on i know it would be tough without mine, and i just have a small 5x10 single axle.

I priced out plastic. Metal is way cheaper. About $750 to do the 8x12ft bed. 10 gauge steel is $450. 3/16" $600.

I have a few trailers with steel bottoms and my flatbed dump. I haul everything in them and they show it. Work equipment and I work it. Thicker steel is nice for looks but also adds weight pretty quickly. Valley, your truck is a dually so the extra weight isn't likely an issue, us guys with single rear wheel are likely already over loaded our stuff most of the time. You said you were hauling gravel awhile ago, that extra thick steel will cost an extra load every 10 loads likely. Sent the wife to the scrap yard the other day with the 2500 flatbed and dump trailer, weighed in at just over 5500 lbs of steel.

Yes duallie 1.5 ton trucks, couldn't haul 2 cords in a single rear wheel without being WAY overloaded!

I thought I mentioned weight is a concern on thicker metal, and cost too, but guess it didn't load it. Difference between 11 gauge (1/8) and 3/16" on an 8x12ft bed is about 500lbs, so a few lbs.

I was hauling topsoil 2 weekends ago, in my big truck (which has the badly dented floor). It is limited on what it can dump by the somewhat undersized dump hoist. Rated to 15 tons, but that is "ideal". It wouldnt fully dump 10 yards (about 10-12 tons) without backing up and standing on the brakes to slide it down. Truck can haul about 18 tons.

I'm done with wood flooring though. 2 of the dumpers are wood and it seems like it's a constant thing to replace the floor. My one truck is rotted out bad. I put 3/4 plywood over it (the steel crossneme4s are shot, it'd be a big mess trying to remove what's left of the 2x8s are replacing them. Likely most of the cross members would come apart.

Anyhow, that layer if plywood lasted about 6 months till it blew through. One layer #2 now.

Plus everything sticks to the wood compared to steel.

I like steel much better too. I have over 20 trailers that have wood bottoms and it seems like I replace at least 2 every year. I was using a trailer today and the deck is done on it too. There is usually plate steel at the Amish sale I'm going to this weekend so maybe I'll find a deal and get some. I bought a dozen sheets of steel mesh there last year. Have only used 1 piece so not too sure that it was a deal. I find that it takes me a year to source the materials and another year before I actually use them.

With the rainy spring my woodcutting has been slowed.

I was excited because I finally got to use it... delivered a 1/2 cord of mixed hardwoods this week. This is a 10' Griffin. I'm really digging this thing and highly recommend one. If you are on the fence, go get it. I decided on the 10' over the 12' because it was cheaper and I honestly wondered if I would be able to cut and load a 12' all by myself. Probably not...so the 10' made more sense. The Griffin comes with the ramps, 2 way gate, the front bulkhead is plumbed for a tarp reel. Hydraulics are power up, power down, two rams. 12 gauge steel, two piece construction. Made in USA.

Safe cutting everyone.

View attachment 582068
Love my 14ft dump n go also built in the USA.
4674446199d844892e7de4b6a7185e67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have the 16' Griffin. It's still not big enough :crazy: I bought it new in 2011 for bottom dollar. It's hauled everything. The bottom plate steel look like a whoop section on a motocross track. Only problem with it mechanically is the dump geometry doesn't let it get steep enough if you are anywhere past level, sloped to the front. Seems silly but sometime to get where you want, you are figured the wrong way. It will have its second set of new tires this summer. The paint sucks, but most trailers are painted pretty poorly, IMO. I got the best bang for my buck. And the resale is stupid. I think it's worth $4000 yet.

20160624_193638.jpg dump.jpg

I have the 16' Griffin. It's still not big enough :crazy: I bought it new in 2011 for bottom dollar. It's hauled everything. The bottom plate steel look like a whoop section on a motocross track. Only problem with it mechanically is the dump geometry doesn't let it get steep enough if you are anywhere past level, sloped to the front. Seems silly but sometime to get where you want, you are figured the wrong way. It will have its second set of new tires this summer. The paint sucks, but most trailers are painted pretty poorly, IMO. I got the best bang for my buck. And the resale is stupid. I think it's worth $4000 yet.

View attachment 582906 View attachment 582908

I know what you mean. I've dumped firewood in driveways steep enough that I had to put blocks under the steer axle to help the angle!

Had one sloping the other way, steer tires came off the ground about 2ft as I dumped!

Seems like those guys wait until after it rains and then freezes too.

Back