finding a good helper........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,
bid on a job today that is a 2 man job.
what's the best way to find a helper??????
who should i ask?????? should i take an
ad out in the local rag?????? what do you
think?????? i'm sure y'all will let me know!
thanks in advance,
budroe:cool:

my 2 best ground men actually called me looking for work. one was an 18 year old kid with a wife and kids living in the projects. he was eager to learn and better himself. once i taught him to sharpen a saw he would show up at the office at 6:30 am to sharpen all the saws and get the gear loaded.
he eventualy boought a house upstate ny and started climbing for a company by him because the commute was too much. but he was my right hand.
the other guy kept calling and offered to work a day for free if i did not like the way he worked. he also worked out great for me.
the 2 key things are they had families to support, so they were eager to work and get there lives together. they also had to be trained. once i saw they had potential i invested my time in them.
but i also went through about 20 guys a season, some just aren't cut out for this work. i usualy ran around with a 5-6 man crew. but my best employee's were the ones i trained.

one more thing. the local paper is a good and bad place to start. if the person is good they will have a job. by me its the same loosers responding to the same ad year after year.
i say try and find an eager youngster pay him well , be polite and train him.

Depends on what you are looking for, grunt albor to drag out brush or someone to handle ropes for you.

If it is just a grunt, go with a temp service. you pay a little more, buthtey habndel all the taxes and insurance on the warm body.

If they need to run a saw and ropes for you, then go through the paper and screen the applicants.
Call some of the local faith based counceling centers. be sure to explain that a 40 hour week is not guarenteed and that the work is hard, but that is is an entry level position in a growing company ....

Budroe

I would love to come help you Budroe if you didnt live so far south in Florida. I know that if I worked with you for just a week I could obtain more tree skills. My boss is pretty good but he does not have near the knowledge on climbing most of you guys do. I may have to run down there for a week if you need help with any big jobs. I am intelligent and a quick leaner so I know I could help you out if needed.

Budroe, Go to a temp Agency Because they Provide workmans comp And God forbid someone gets Hurt there going to Sue Budroe So I'd check with the Temp Agencies.

Budroe, I think you should Hire Forrest to help you I think he would appreciate the Opportunity. :blob2:
I hope you have A chipper to get rid of the Brush.

My 1.3 cents (Cdn)

If it is a short time job, I agree with the others....go with an agency. Even in my lowly lot inlife, I have worked /supervised with 2 guys from agencies, and both were switched on and eager. You likely will pay about a 50% premium for the insurance etc however, but in the short term, worth it because you have no obligation at all to keep the guy when you are done.

Having said that , I found both of my permanent jobs on the internet thru jobbank, which is the federal employment scam office. List there for a full time employee if you need one, at least the person has enough brain cells to know how to operate a computer , which I am sure you agree, is not difficult. Too poor to have one....our libraries, not to mention the pogie and bleeding heart welfare offices are full of them.

I entered into this trade 8 months ago with some basic knowledge, a desire to do something different, a love of the outdoors and plants and armed with a totally useless university degree in two pansy industry city -you never know what you may pick up.

Budroe, I don't know if this would work for you... But don't you guys have a LOT of day laborers down there?

Budroe,

My old boss back in Jersey used to hire kids from the high school wresting team. These kids were not only strong and fit, they were gluttons for punishment and eager to prove themselves. Loading wood, they'd go right for the largest log; they'd haul whole leaders out of back yards, grab the whole chip pile and try to ram it in the chipper. I've been hiring the same types. Contacted the local high school wresting coach, turns out a number of kids were looking for work in the summers. This has worked out well; you might want to try it.

We could use a few good helpers here in Tally.Most climbers are crack heads,and bounce around from one company to the next...
The bigger boys who are Certified Arbos here work these guys without a flinch,hell one Cert. Arbo will top your trees.A half page phonebook ad,says so.,along with a 30 year old photo of the DUDE.Well,the worlds full of folks like that.I think mexican migrant workers are the future here anyway.

Back