Finished log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a crane mounted to the front of my wood hauling trailer,works great to grab it out of the trailer and swing it over to the splitter UNLESS I slack and dont get it split right away and my buddy calls and tells me he has another load I have to get now...so the load in the trailer gets dumped on the ground making the crane useless...

Looks sweet. But does it work?

Absolutely!
A friend of mine has a bunch of unspilt wood at his place so i pulled up there and tried it out. Started on first pull and is pretty quick, about 14 - 16 second cycle time.:rock:
The wood was dry and last years cut, the pump never went into second stage, so i will be curious to split some greener stuff and see how it does.

Last edited:
Looks sweet. But does it work?

Yes!
I finally got to put some real wood through it and it didn't miss a beat.
I split about 4-5 cords already and am happy with the build.
Don't think i would change a thing honestly.
197044d1314584905-dsc05690-jpg

View attachment 197044

Last edited:
Nice job on the splitter. But man dont ya hate those gas cans? LOL I miss the days of being able to spill it if I want too.

I started my splitter parts collection years ago. I am shy pump and hoses and I can start welding. I got side tracked when a 3 point hitch model arrived cheap.

Great job! Nice Paint!. Ex propane tank for the oil? Never saw one with the engine/pump mounted high. That looks good, easy maintenance.

Harry K

No, its a 18" pipe for the tank. yeah the engine/pump works well where it sits. I was a bit worried about priming the pump but it takes right off
no problems.

And yes i do HATE the new gas cans, PITA!
Thanks for all the kind words!

No, its a 18" pipe for the tank. yeah the engine/pump works well where it sits. I was a bit worried about priming the pump but it takes right off
no problems.

And yes i do HATE the new gas cans, PITA!
Thanks for all the kind words!

Ah yes, the tank. My old eyes fooled me. I thought the end was domed, see not it isn't.

Harry K

Very nice! I first thought you used an old compressor tank. The only thing I'd worry about is the exposed oil filter. I know highly unlikely, but $ch!t happens.

Very nice! I first thought you used an old compressor tank. The only thing I'd worry about is the exposed oil filter. I know highly unlikely, but $ch!t happens.

Good point, i could easily fabricate a cage or something for it.
I did have one half a split that came close to hitting it. This winter i will have to do that.

Good point, i could easily fabricate a cage or something for it.
I did have one half a split that came close to hitting it. This winter i will have to do that.

Maybe flipping the the oil filter 180 degrees would bring it under the main beam and switching the location of the oil filter and the hose. And you wouldn't have to do anymore welding.

Good idea sleeper.
Like the drawing.
The only time any split wood even comes close to hitting the filter is when i let it really pile up on the other side.
That is the wife's job anyways. Something should be done with it though i agree. It wouldn't take much to flip it 180 and add a protector plate to the tank.

Back