Finished log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose5180

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tried this splitter out today and it runs great.
Pretty quick too about 16 second cycle time.

185416d1306539364-dscn4190-jpg

185417d1306539370-dscn4188-jpg

185418d1306539375-dscn4189-jpg

185419d1306539381-dscn4187-jpg

Last edited:
Get that thing dirty!

I assumed the blue you were from NC.... so what gives with the color choice?

Oh i dont know, i was planning on a dark blue but they only had one can, so i went with this. Not good?

Haha - you'll be wearing the paint off anyways.

Looks good and you won't lose it! :msp_tongue:

All kidding aside, very clean fab and looks well thought out.

Powder coated? I am fabbing an outfeed table for mine, but not going to pay to powder coat so I'd be curious to see how your paint holds up after some use (assuming it's not.)

Haha - you'll be wearing the paint off anyways.

Looks good and you won't lose it! :msp_tongue:

All kidding aside, very clean fab and looks well thought out.

Powder coated? I am fabbing an outfeed table for mine, but not going to pay to powder coat so I'd be curious to see how your paint holds up after some use (assuming it's not.)

Thanks for the compliments!
No powder coat, just a couple rattle cans over primer.
Yeah it will never look as good as it does right now.

Thanks for all the replies.

nice looking splitter. How much did it cost to put together ?

Well, i had the all the steel, axle and a friend had the wheels / tires.
Out of pocket $1200 give or take a few.
I knew before doing the project theres really no savings to build your own, although i did get some good upgrades for the same price as a "consumer" model. IMHO some of the big box store ones for the same price are pretty cheesy. Lots of plastic and not very well built.
For this price you get the Honda 200 cc vs the BS 160 and a 13.6 gpm pump vs 11gpm. Its pretty quick with this setup. About 16 second cycle time. I kicked around buying one but glad i went this route.

looks good, man. nice clean design too.

remember, nothing beats a home made splitter!!!

Shore is a pretty thing.
OH my acheing back is all I can say other wise. Or I hope your tractor has a front loader to lift the blocks.

:D Al

Shore is a pretty thing.
OH my acheing back is all I can say other wise. Or I hope your tractor has a front loader to lift the blocks.

:D Al

We do have a skid steer, but also 2 strong boys.
If they roll me the chunks directly from the trailer to the splitter there is no reason to lift anything.

Better plan a table or lift. My boys are good help but grow up fast. I have five of em and Im down to three that are regular help.

Better plan a table or lift. My boys are good help but grow up fast. I have five of em and Im down to three that are regular help.

One cool thing about building your own, anything can be changed or added at any time. Someday i may add a log lift. My wood trailer is just a few inches taller than this splitter, really no reason to not split directly from trailer.

Back