Finished up the 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that so many comment on how the 066 RL is such a strong runner, yet has lower power specs.

Brad, The 2nd generation 066s had the smallest combustion chambers in the jug.That's the one just before they went to the composite flywheel those jugs have the boss for for decompression button but not fitted with one.They also have lower intake with higher transfers and made more power.

...those jugs have the boss for for decompression button but not fitted with one.

You mean I could fit this thing with a decomp? That would be awesome. This thing needs one! I've got bruises on my inner thighs from starting this thing. It snatched the pull handle right out my hand the other day. Here's the cylinder that's on it. LINK I originally wanted to keep this thing original. However, neccesity has caused me to change the ignition. I might as well change the tank and add a decomp while I'm at it. Besides, some came with a clear tank and the ignition can be put back to stock.

Last edited:
As

You mean I could fit this thing with a decomp? That would be awesome. This thing needs one! I've got bruises on my inner thighs from starting this thing. It snatched the pull handle right out my hand the other day. Here's the cylinder that's on it. LINK I originally wanted to keep this thing original. However, neccesity has caused me to change the ignition. I might as well change the tank and add a decomp while I'm at it. Besides, some came with a clear tank and the ignition can be put back to stock.

Soooooo...you restored it, then you modified it beyond belief......yep, your an AS member!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! LMAO!! But really snelling, you did do a good job on restoring that 066RL, she prolly really runs now, huh? Did you ever get it tuned right? Did you cut with it yet?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Yes, I cut with it. I want more chain speed. It's tuned to 14,300. Intake timing wasn't changed at all due to it having .016" squish without lowering the jug. I'm thinking about milling the piston crown to make it a popup and lower the jug the same. That will keep my exhaust and transfer timing the same and increase my intake timing. That should bump my compression and my RPMs. Then I'll really need a deco. If not, I'll always be starting this thing like they say to with it on the ground and my foot through the handle:dizzy:

wow

Yes, I cut with it. I want more chain speed. It's tuned to 14,300. Intake timing wasn't changed at all due to it having .016" squish without lowering the jug. I'm thinking about milling the piston crown to make it a popup and lower the jug the same. That will keep my exhaust and transfer timing the same and increase my intake timing. That should bump my compression and my RPMs. Then I'll really need a deco. If not, I'll always be starting this thing like they say to with it on the ground and my foot through the handle:dizzy:

WOW, .016 squish without lowering the jug is a lot. Making the piston a popup sounds like a good idea, and I've heard of guys getting good results with it, but I haven't fooled with it much. If you could bump your compression and rpms that should bring your in the wood rpms up. 066's don't have alot of chain speed, as they have in raw torque. They're not screamers as much as say a 440/460 but they really shine with bigger bars. If you want chainspeed then run a 24" on it.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

The .016" squish was the result of a clean used 066 cylinder, no decomp, and a new OEM 066 piston from the dealer. The squish area is quite tapered and quickly increases as you move away from the cylinder wall.

The .016" squish was the result of a clean used 066 cylinder, no decomp, and a new OEM 066 piston from the dealer. The squish area is quite tapered and quickly increases as you move away from the cylinder wall.

im gonna be building a 066RL in the future..it will be ported, piston lightened, cylinder milled and will have a pop up piston..im gonna do a step by step build on it...so if u want to see how that turns out i'm hoping to get rolling on it before long

o yea..btw..im putting a spare 066 cylinder w/decomp on mine..im expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 190-195lbs compression

Last edited:

You could if it's a 2nd gen. cylinder as the boss is there .It's not drilled or taped though.You would have to do that.And of course fit it with a different cover for axcess.I don't think they came that way stock,so i wouldn't be original after that.However it would alot easier to start.also if you had a dumb coil on it,it wouldn't start so bad.

I don't think I have the right jug to add the deco to. There's no boss there for it.

Funny you mention the coil. I thought the -1311 coil was a "smart" coil and was supposed to make the saw easier to start. I have limited time with this saw but it seems harder to start than it did with the original coil. Maybe I should throw a -1300 coil on there and see if that helps. I'm not too ready to replace my cylinder since this one's ported now. I'll just deal with it.

Amazing,,,,,,,

Chainspeed,,, 9 or 10 pin?????

Brad if you radius the piston edge to match the same angle as your squish band you can achieve more popup area protrusion into the combustion chamber hence yielding more compression,,,,

But,,,,,,, since you are already whining/sniveling about how hard it starts,,,,LOL!!!!! ya might better not!!!!!!!

Before ya send a reply back with yer panties all wadded up,,,,I am just funning with ya!!!

There is an art to starting saws like yours without a decomp,,,,,

Last edited:
What makes it seem "harder" is that you have to spin the saw at 900rpm to get spark... and with a modified high compression engine and no deco, well...

Coil gap is also critcal.

Back