Fir seed cones: do they burn well?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jindarose

Reaction score
I have a couple of bushels of dried fir cones (probably Douglas fir) from my yard.

I'm a robotics coach and the team wants to have a small bonfire to celebrate the season
(we won regionals and are heading to state competition this weekend!)

I figured the kids would enjoy the quick burning snap & pop of "pine cones" in the fire - (I loved tossing them into the campfire as a kid in Maine).
However, my test burning of these fir cones is not going well....
Is there something I don't know about fir seed cones? Do they not burn like good old eastern pine cones?

just wondering,

jindarose

I'll burn cones from my white pines only after I have a good hot base established. Only in the outdoor fire ring. As RandyMac stated, lots of pitch in them.

Doug Fir not so much

I have had little to no luck getting DF cones to do much in the way of putting of flames. It is kind of weird. I grew up on the East coast and could always use dried pine cones as fire starters, but out here on the West coast, I haven't had any luck no matter how dry I kept the DF cones. One of the neighbor kids dips them in wax and then sells them to people as firestarters though. I don't think that's what you are looking to get into though.

Thanks for the explanations

I guess Doug Fir cones are a dud for fun flames at a group bonfire. Oh well. I especially appreciate finding out I'm not the only one who has been fooled by fir cones!

Jinda

I guess Doug Fir cones are a dud for fun flames at a group bonfire. Oh well. I especially appreciate finding out I'm not the only one who has been fooled by fir cones!

Jinda

--run a search here (or google it for that matter) for the "swedish candles" You might be able to pull off some cellulosic pyrotechnics at your campfire. All you need are some guaranteed dry logs and a saw and a can of charcoal starter fluid.

Robotics, you won?? Pics/link or it didn't happen!

Back