Fire starter debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For years, I have used scrap cutoffs from the jobsite to start fires. Usually it is the ends of 2x12's from rafters, I hatchet them into sticks and they work fine.
The debate started today when my BIL said that they will cause an unsafe buildup on the chimney walls. Now I wanted to tell him the only buildup was in his bowels but, due to the holiday season I bit my tongue. He insists that he only uses firestarters and the use of anything else is just crazy, I guess he should know best because he has at least four fires a year and I use about twelve cords a season. I am curious what everyone else uses to start up.

when I cut a tree I try to take as many limbs as possible for kindling

My grandma taught me to layer a fire to make sure it lights fast/hot because you don't want to have to start over with hot sooty wood. Couple pieces of newsprint/birch bark, then small sticks and then small wood then large wood. It doesn't take much to start a fire if done right. I do use pine sticks. and pine cones. maybe you should use a chimney brush and get that buildup out for him.....no charge LOL

Couple sheets of twisted up newspaper, a handfull of twigs, a Handfull of thumb sized squaw wood, and a couple chunks of wrist sized squaw wood.

Let it go for about 10Min, and toss in small splits of Sassafrass with the regular splits.

I also use table saw scraps when available.
2x4 ends kick things off real nice.

Walt,
Your BIL obviously has more $$$$ than sense.
Go easy on him. He dosn't know Chainsaws have a safe lifespan of 3 years... ya read it in consumers report magazine.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

sounds like bil spent a little too much time reading the directions on the fire-starter product he's using. hell he might have go onto the interweb and read up on all the fire-starter product reviews and discussion forums.

eff me.

i use the same stuff as you mostly (2x4 scraps) and also red cedar and some rare times kerosene in a ketchup bottle--what_ever_ it takes. junkmail, packing materials, pizza boxes, beer cartons, yard scraps, old corn chips...organic usually means combustible (once the moisture is minimized)...hehe. guy i know eats on paper plates and calls the stove his country dishwasher.

ask him to give you some to try out if it ever comes up again.

Last edited:
Don't tell him about my wax soaked sawdust cakes... he'll likely call these guys on me. --Ian
attachment.php

The myth about pine generating creosote is....well a myth.

Creosote accumulates from combustion by-products that are not fully burned, most often as a result of burning wet wood which then condenses on a cool surface. The key to avoiding creosote buildup in the burn box and the flue is to burn hot.

I have burned many cords of pine and have yet to need to brush my flue.

Burning kiln-dried scraps like the cutoffs from rafters is probably the least likely way to generate crud on your flue.

Your BIL is a funny guy. He needs a set of chimney cleaning brushes.

Yeah. For the creosote buildup between his ears! :dizzy:

I use mostly a bit of newspaper, and twigs, building up to small scraps from splitting. When I can get it, I use waxed cardboard (from produce boxes). That stuff's like using a flamethrower!
attachment.php

Of course, the best method is to just keep it going! :clap:

Sounds like you BIL is on the pipe. Dad used to get scraps of pine, poplar, and spruce from a cabinet shop that saved it for him and we never had an issue with it. I personally collect all the pine cones I can in the fall. I also drop a white pine every summer and them make it into kindling for that winter, I just split the crap out of it will its finger size. I also have yet to see any significant creosote.

I appreciate all the responses, I was half thinking to load up every piece of scrap cutoff from today and swing by his place and drop em!
I agree with you guys that his chimney needs a cleaning, mabye he needs fiber LOL

For my wood stoves I've become a big believer in top-down fire building. I probably heard about it 10 years ago but boy scout training dies hard. Establishes draft much better, much less start-up smoke. I also bought a box of firestarters this year thinking that they might help my wife build fires when I'm gone. She's used them some, but I find no improvement over regular kindling. I build from splits to wrist-sized to finger-sized and light the top with a propane torch. Lumber scraps, pallet scraps, that's good kindling too. Maybe it's a regional thing, but seems to me that newsprint smokes a lot and brown packing paper is even worse, I go with straight wood anymore.

Jack

For years, I have used scrap cutoffs from the jobsite to start fires. Usually it is the ends of 2x12's from rafters, I hatchet them into sticks and they work fine.
The debate started today when my BIL said that they will cause an unsafe buildup on the chimney walls. Now I wanted to tell him the only buildup was in his bowels but, due to the holiday season I bit my tongue. He insists that he only uses firestarters and the use of anything else is just crazy, I guess he should know best because he has at least four fires a year and I use about twelve cords a season. I am curious what everyone else uses to start up.[/QUote Walt, i use the same materials for starting. Free and work great. As long as a person burns the stuff hot, i've never had a problem and i've burned wood all my life at home.
The key to building a fire is starting small. I like to build a small teepee, then progress into a next bigger size of kindling layed in a sort of grid pattern, then i keep pieces of firewood that are split into like thirds that i add, and lastly add the big stuff.
This way it burns good and hot and i can keep my fire burning for days on end sometimes when it's cold enough.

I have been using natures best, pine cones for years in my insert and never had a problem, nor do I expect to, your bil is to much like mine talks way to much and doesn't know near enough. If he has seen it on t.v. he thinks he has done it:censored:

C.B.

The best fire starter is a carefully cut, split and well seasoned BIL, all the hot air really cranks things up.

Back